Cadets2

here's the thing.....very few DCA corps are truly local based anymore. I know people going to Cabs from Hagerstown MD. I know people going to Bucs from Baltimore. Hell Walt Street came in from Pittsburgh anymore. Windsor has folks from Baltimore.

A kid will go where 1) he's attracted to 2) where friends go and 3) where HS instructors march/teach.

having a local option helps, but think of ALL the bands up in your area that DON'T feed kids to Cabs, Bush, Sky, Sun, Fusion etc. It's not cause of 40 year olds next to kids.

I was responding to this comment...."...As far as giving younger players a chance, though, uh, they already have that with every already-existing DCA corps", not a comment about the age-thing. If George is looking to attract local Lehigh Valley kids to a week-end style corps, the existence of other corps is not all the relevant to the age group he seems to want to focus his efforts to recruit. Nor really is the existence of the Cadets themselves much of a conflict, IMO.

I was responding to this comment...."...As far as giving younger players a chance, though, uh, they already have that with every already-existing DCA corps", not a comment about the age-thing. If George is looking to attract local Lehigh Valley kids to a week-end style corps, the existence of other corps is not all the relevant to the age group he seems to want to focus his efforts to recruit. Nor really is the existence of the Cadets themselves much of a conflict, IMO.

Is being able to attrach a full corps from one area even possible anymore? Especially at the costs to be in any type of corps today. And the ones in that area who want to do corps may decide not to take their chances with a brand new corps (repeat costs comment). IMO, the members will be from more than Lehigh Valley/Allentown(?) area.

Is being able to attrach a full corps from one area even possible anymore? Especially at the costs to be in any type of corps today. And the ones in that area who want to do corps may decide not to take their chances with a brand new corps (repeat costs comment). IMO, the members will be from more than Lehigh Valley/Allentown(?) area.

I guess its their hope to draw kids with a relatively easy commute, given the type of corps he wants to form. I don't see how it would work trying to draw from remote distances...maybe somewhat outside the immediate Lehigh Valley area, but not too far, given the winter rehearsals and weekend status during the competitive season.

I wish them luck; its a great idea, IMO. I don't think the 'newness' of the corps will be much of an issue, given the name recognition of YEA! and the Cadets in the area. If they can hook area band directors they have a decent shot, I think.

We'll see.

• Like 1

IMO, the Cadets name is far stronger in NJ as their band circuit isn't even the most powerful one in Allentown and the corps doesn't do a lot in the community there

• Like 1

Call me a hater if you like, but all I have to say is:

NO HOPPY IN MY DCA!!! I STOMP HIM!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Call me a hater if you like, but all I have to say is:

NO HOPPY IN MY DCA!!! I STOMP HIM!!!!!!!

George Hopkins has been involved in DCA before. So your tempertantrum is a bit out-dated....

not that Im a Hop fan...but "YOUR DCA?"LOL

Well... I have a "My Panera" card. So I guess anything's possible. :tongue:

Well... I have a "My Panera" card. So I guess anything's possible. :tongue:

Yea, but I'm not convinced you don't really own a few Panera shops... hehe w00t.gif

(You've "invested" a lot in them!)