Cadets2

All I have to say is that I like that they're opening up the opportunity to kids who don't have the time or money to put into a DCI tour.

And YEA stands for Youth Education in the Arts. So of course they're going to keep the DCI age parameters.

• Like 3

Exactly. It's publicly known that team Cadets (and others) don't see a future in DCI Open Class.

Well it's certainly obvious that when George Hopkins surveyed the DCI and DCA landscape for possible expansion and investment of a new entity that his organization was in charge of, he had more confidence in the DCA model for exapansion and investment than the environment of DCI. It is clear that he had an opportunity to develop a feeder Corps and bring it into the DCI fold... similar to what the Blue Devils and SC Vanguard have done. But he didn't. He elected instead to bring his new entity into DCA instead of DCI.

Say what we will about George Hopkins. But there is no way in the world that he'd approve his organization's expansion into DCA unless he saw that DCA offers a viable model and environment for the future of both his organization as well as a Drum Corps Association that he believes has a solid business model that he can align his new Drum Corps with.

Edited by BRASSO

Yeah it does eat into Surf... especially since they already don't do a "full" tour. It will kill surf when people find out how much less it will cost to do this new corps. Since Surf is more expensive than some WC corps who do an actual full tour.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, but this needs nipped in the bud right away.

Anyone besides me remember the crap that Jacobs took on here for his "Name Your Own Price" plan? Seems he was more in tune with events than the naysayers here gave him credit for.

If a MM can name a price that's the same as Cadets2 and march Surf then it becomes a question of what kind of program you want to associate with, not a money question.

There's a world of difference between the "personality" of Cadets versus Surf.

Let's not announce the death of Surf prematurely. Jacobs has been working a plan for 20 years and is no slouch.

My hunch is that he welcomes the challenge...and the vindication that his weekend program is legit.

• Like 3

1) He would love to kill Surf.

Citation, please?

Why? Because Surf is a threat to his membership? Maybe to a small degree, but not likely.

More likely he's a threat to Surf.

Like I said earlier...this vindicates Jacobs' long-held vision of what drum corps should be, and can be.

Way to go, Bob.

• Like 1

Exactly. It's publicly known that team Cadets (and others) don't see a future in DCI Open Class.

...and this could be a way for DCA to enter the Junior Division.

All the open class corps could go there, tour less, etc...

Someone said earlier in the thread an all age corps would be contrary to the 'youth' mission of YEA... thats not necessarily correct. Groups like YEA could use groups like this as an outreach program to keep alumni and other drum corps people within their organization. Alumni that are retained over the years are more likely to donate in the future.

Similar to college athletics, a lot of universities now see the benefits the athletics programs bring in retaining alumni and keeping them close to the university, resulting in more financial contributions later.

Edited by AlexL

This whole idea of "keeping the money coming in" has me confused.

Doesn't it cost money to field a DCA corps? Isn't GH complaining that Cadets aren't self-supporting as a competitive corps? Financially at the edge every year?

How does a MM, cut from Cadets1 and going to Cadets2 "keep money coming in" when that money is necessarily less than Cadets1 and it also takes money to field a Cadets2?

Someone 'splain to me how this "keeps money coming in". To whom? And they won't spend all that money fielding Cadets2?

• Like 1

And, totally irrelevant but ... Since they're using a superscript (Cadets2)in the name, is the name of the new group Cadets-squared?

And, totally irrelevant but ... Since they're using a superscript (Cadets2)in the name, is the name of the new group Cadets-squared?

At first I thought of it more as a "footnote" :)

Edited by JimBurnell

we agree then and I said he was doing his job and it was well played...personally, I'd just rather he didn't ruin all of North American Drum Corps :tongue:

So starting a new corps and getting more kids to experience drum corps every year is now considered "ruining" drum corps? no... just, no... :thumbdown:

Edited by charlie1223