As to the President's Remarks - The Cadets are a Marching Band

Yep, the W or K based on the Mississippi was started after KDKA got their call letters so they had the option to stay with a "K". But don't know how many farm reports they do. At least didn't hear any when at college in Western PA in the 70s (Man does KDKA have a strong signal).

Think there is a recording of KDKA giving the 1920 presidential results...

Head it live didya ?

• Like 1

After 40+ years and in the immortal words of Glen Frey (or was it Don Henley?) "Get Over It!"

We have heard Dc's called marching bands for decades....we are brass bands anyway, right?

• Like 1

I'd like to personally thank Geoff for keeping the political crap out. It would have really lowered the quality of this fine thread. :tongue:

• Like 1

Head it live didya ?

Yep... #### Harding.....

Funny thing is I have some record albums (sure you remember those :tongue: ) of historic radio broadcasts and ####ed if I remember how I got them (think that's where the KDKA blurb is at). Should burn 'em to CD and sell 'em off. Only other thing I remember on it is the Hindenburg doing the ultimate crach and burn. Only remember that as I worked for a week at the Navy Base at Lakehurst, NJ. Turned out I was across the street from where it went down and the blimp hangers were still there as of 1992 (used for something else now).

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Drum corps = a sub-genre of marching band and therefor the Pres was not mistaken. It always makes me laugh at the pretentiousness of drum corps folks who think that they are so superior to other genres of the marching arts that they have to make a huge deal pointing out how different (read: better) they are from marching band and freak out whenever anyone calls drum corps marching band.

• Like 2

I can't believe there is a 5 page argument about this. Can we please get over it? It is not that critical. People categorize things incorrectly all the time. How many people think of Kenny G as jazz? Among the problems of the world, this is inconsequential. Pick your battles folks.

• Like 2

Drum corps = a sub-genre of marching band and therefor the Pres was not mistaken. It always makes me laugh at the pretentiousness of drum corps folks who think that they are so superior to other genres of the marching arts that they have to make a huge deal pointing out how different (read: better) they are from marching band and freak out whenever anyone calls drum corps marching band.

:thumbup:

Never! Drum corps is NOT marching band! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. tongue.gif

Black helicopters are flying around like fire-flies.

Besides, it's September. Have you seen how boring DCP is this time of year? Just trying to Boo-wasabi this place up a bit...

All drum corps are marching bands. That's the fact of it. They are a niche part of a larger niche.

• Like 1

You don't have to become Marching Band to have a larger fan base.

Drum Corps isn't KDKA broadcasting farm reports to the outskirts of Pittsburgh.

Drum Corps, as an activity, is just fine, without being marching band. The biggest problem we've had since the VFW/AL tear, is that no one knows what the heck a drum corps is.

If I own a fast food restaurant that serves hamburgers, I don't become McDonald's so people understand. I build my brand so that my fan base/customer base is knowledgeable about what/who I am.

It's not about semantics at all. Just like Scottish bagpipe bands, fife and drum corps, heck, banjo bands from the 40s, New Orleans brass bands. They are all marching bands. So is drum corps. It's a marching band.

So first you wonder why....

I can't believe there is a 5 page argument about this.

....and then, you answer your own question....

Can we please get over it?

Helpful hint #1....telling someone to "get over it" is not the best way to resolve conflict.

Speaking of which....conflict would be significantly reduced if people a person anyone with a point to make would simply state it in a respectful manner. I think everyone in this thread understands the context around the whole DC/MB issue; thus, we all know full well what kind of reaction the declarative DC=MB post will get. Those who know this, yet post it anyway, are purposely fanning the flames.

Now, what if instead of "Drum corps is marching band. Get over it!", someone were to say....

"I understand there are distinctions between drum corps and marching band that make all the difference in the world to many of us insiders....but I also understand that the two activities are so similar that it is easiest to describe drum corps to outsiders by referring to marching band, which is more familiar to the general public."

There's a statement I can agree with. Maybe a lot of us would. (That might make for a dull thread, though.)

The only voice-of-reason post I've seen on this thread so far was from the esteemed Mr. Boo.

I don't care what the President of the United States or any other leader or important person calls us, as long as they mention us in a positive way.

The Dalai Lama could refer to drum corps as "rhythms of the drum circles with lotus blossoms in B-flat" and I wouldn't get bent over it.

I guess that's why DCI (and BOA) are glad to have him as a writer.

It is not that critical. People categorize things incorrectly all the time. How many people think of Kenny G as jazz? Among the problems of the world, this is inconsequential. Pick your battles folks.

Well, there's more than one battle here. When people start throwing the DC=MB statement around, the context expands beyond simple mischaracterization.

There are a few who really want to change drum corps into marching band by eliminating whatever distinctions remain between the two activities. And there are some who think that would be the end of drum corps....and not just in semantic terms. Personally, I don't think the DCI touring model would be sustainable if they morphed into marching band right now, because marching band just doesn't have the same drawing power as drum corps. As ubiquitous as marching band is, competitive drum corps has always outdrawn competitive marching band.