DCI 2012 Programs

Trumpet line this year is crazy good.

Gosh how I miss the terms "Soprano" & "Contra".

• Like 1

Yea. Its really ridiculous how corps make people swear to secrecy, as if it helps them score better in the upcoming season. Perhaps they should announce their show early to get a jump on the buzz???

It's less about swearing to secrecy and more about them putting the finishing touches on the product they plan to present. The members have some of the music, but even they don't know what the show concept is yet. When it's ready, I'm sure they won't feel the need to keep everyone in the dark.

Gosh how I miss the terms "Soprano" & "Contra".

Shouldn't they be interchangeable? I know plenty of people who still use those terms. Trumpets are the soprano voice of the brass family. Neither a change of key or the addition of valves changes that fact.

• Like 2

Shouldn't they be interchangeable? I know plenty of people who still use those terms. Trumpets are the soprano voice of the brass family. Neither a change of key or the addition of valves changes that fact.

It does, though. Technically, for non-bugles, a "soprano" would refer to a Eb cornet used on the top of a brass band. And a "contra" means basically nothing unless paired with "bass" or "alto," which doesn't work for Bb tubas. Yes, some Bb tubas are called "contrabasses" but they are usually the larger 5/4 and 6/4 concert horns, and it's old nomenclature.

• Like 1

It does, though. Technically, for non-bugles, a "soprano" would refer to a Eb cornet used on the top of a brass band. And a "contra" means basically nothing unless paired with "bass" or "alto," which doesn't work for Bb tubas. Yes, some Bb tubas are called "contrabasses" but they are usually the larger 5/4 and 6/4 concert horns, and it's old nomenclature.

An Eb Cornet is still part of the larger trumpet/soprano family though, along with the Bb, C, piccolo, and the many other variants on the instrument. In terms of this activity, the Bb trumpet is still the soprano voice, but it seems that there is a schism in terminology based solely on a change of key. I guess I just don't understand why some people are condescending of one term over another, when there is good reason for both of them.

• Like 1

Crown is usually one of the last to announce...they like to keep things quiet. It's usually the worst kept secret in DCI but ... that's what they do :-) Hopefully people will respect *all* the corps' wishes this season and let each corps announce when and how they'd like to announce (even if you personally think the whole secret thing is kind of silly).

Yeah...this is close to the time of the season where I weigh in with my thoughts on this whole 'secrecy thing'. Not a fan of it...mainly because I don't see the benefit for keeping a show a secret. I 'can' and 'have' seen benefits related to releasing information (vid, audio..etc) of a corps upcoming show to build interest and excitement. What's even funnier are the people who hear and see corps in the off season and don't pass along what they have seen and heard. Let me tell ya..if I heard music and/or obtained information about a corps show...I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pass along what I saw and heard.....unless the staff/management specifically asked everyone with in earshot to keep things quiet. What other activity does this? Movie info is leaked, bands albums are leaked, video game clips are leaked....why should drum corps be any different? Its news...and people love news. Even if the news changes. It keeps interest. Its a way to keep fans 'engaged' in the off season(Remember this idea...engaging fans). Just proves how the activity doesn't have a good grasp on promoting their brand. Generic camp audio/video doesn't cut it....they all look and sound the same. Promote........get fans excited to the point they can't wait to get their hand on some show material. Perhaps make a few bucks in the off season selling audio/video clips....even if they are rough cuts. Sell them for $3.00 a piece...every bit ($) helps...right? See those fuel prices lately?

Well..that's enough for my 2012 edition on this topic. In all honesty...it doesn't mean much to me anymore. Did bother me more in the past...not so much anymore.

So...to a corps management and/or staff who deliberately keep things hush hush....

Why does your corps wait so long to release details about the coming seasons show?

• Like 1

Yeah...this is close to the time of the season where I weigh in with my thoughts on this whole 'secrecy thing'. Not a fan of it...mainly because I don't see the benefit for keeping a show a secret. I 'can' and 'have' seen benefits related to releasing information (vid, audio..etc) of a corps upcoming show to build interest and excitement. What's even funnier are the people who hear and see corps in the off season and don't pass along what they have seen and heard. Let me tell ya..if I heard music and/or obtained information about a corps show...I wouldn't hesitate for a second to pass along what I saw and heard.....unless the staff/management specifically asked everyone with in earshot to keep things quiet. What other activity does this? Movie info is leaked, bands albums are leaked, video game clips are leaked....why should drum corps be any different? Its news...and people love news. Even if the news changes. It keeps interest. Its a way to keep fans 'engaged' in the off season(Remember this idea...engaging fans). Just proves how the activity doesn't have a good grasp on promoting their brand. Generic camp audio/video doesn't cut it....they all look and sound the same. Promote........get fans excited to the point they can't wait to get their hand on some show material. Perhaps make a few bucks in the off season selling audio/video clips....even if they are rough cuts. Sell them for $3.00 a piece...every bit ($) helps...right? See those fuel prices lately?

I don't really think I have know what corps are playing as soon as they've decided on it. It's certainly not a God-given right. The thing is, with all the hooplah about secrecy most corps do a really, really poor job keeping their show under wraps. Yet if someone spills the beans on here or elsewhere there is all manner of righteous indignation. It doesn't make me angry. I can wait. I don't care. But the whole secrecy circus can reach an elevated level of silliness, especially this time of year. You can't reveal the secret to a gym full of hyped up auditionees and volunteers and not expect someone to spill the beans. Best to announce as early as possible, so you can control the way your show is revealed to the public.

Copyright problems are of course a legitimate reason to keep things under wraps. But if copyright is a problem then the corps shouldn't tell anyone, period.

Oh, as for Crown . . . I admit I'm skeptical about the Ice Road Truckers theme, but I'll reserve judgment until June. At any rate, "Eastbound and Down" and "Convoy" are charts I've always wanted to hear on the field, so there's some reason for excitement.

Edited by Rifuarian

Yea. Its really ridiculous how corps make people swear to secrecy, as if it helps them score better in the upcoming season. Perhaps they should announce their show early to get a jump on the buzz???

don't be logical. I mean, ok if they dont have licensing 100% nailed down i can see it.

but otherwise, that's stupid marketing.

"hey come join our corps, we're playing music but we can't tell anyone"

• Like 2

So...to a corps management and/or staff who deliberately keep things hush hush....

Why does your corps wait so long to release details about the coming seasons show?

Well, I'm not management or staff of any corps, but so far this offseason my scorecard reads like this:

Of last year's top 12:

One announced its theme immediately, but changed its mind and went in a different direction. The peanut gallery criticized it for oversharing and for not having its act together.

Two announced their titles and strongly hinted at at least part of their show music. The peanut gallery criticized them for not being transparent enough.

One decided to have a little fun and announce its pieces one by one and save the title and theme for last. The peanut gallery criticized it for playing games.

One announced their title and music all at once. The peanut gallery criticized it for being too ambitious.

Not saying anything at all starts to sound like a good option, no?

I know the details about the title, theme, and music of one corps' show (zero points for guessing which). While the corps hasn't ordered people not to leak (nor is it freaking out if more details are out there than have been "officially" announced), guess what, I have no desire to share that information with people I don't really know on the Internet. I'll bet virtually all the "insiders" at every corps feel the same way.