Santa Clara Vanguard 2012

I was only blown away by the gorgeous, lush, and really LOUD sound of Vanguard's brass. It was wonderful. I guess it might depend upon where you are seated. Anyway.... just my .02. :smile:

Agreed! Their low brass in particular floats my boat.

• Like 1

Oh, I know, but I was agreeing that it looked a lot like Myron's drill. Made them look much more like Vanguard and less like the Cavaliers.

Understand completely, I was just answering the question I who was writing the drill. Pete does some great work for them

• Like 1

Don't want to argue, here... just thought I'd give my impressions of SCV live at Stanford. I had great seats at about the 50-yd. line, and about 1/2 way up the stands (not real high, and not too low). I'm usually pretty aware of the "thunderous goo" you all talk about, as well as over-amped sound. I didn't get any of that, that night--from where I was sitting. I was only blown away by the gorgeous, lush, and really LOUD sound of Vanguard's brass. It was wonderful. I guess it might depend upon where you are seated. Anyway, just my .02. :smile:

Good to hear. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing them live ... which won't be until August, unfortunately. (Assuming they make finals, which seems a safe bet.)

is that good old bruckner?

(the dcp poster, not the composer)

Indeed it is. Although he might be a composer as well. :p

It's goid to see how strong George, Bob, and everyone else is making that horn line

• Like 1

The transition from "Mars" back to "Jupiter" at the end of Vanguard's show really needs to be re-thought. It does not work with the rest of the show and is IMO really hard to listen to.

YES. The rest of the show is good, up to that point. I've been surprised not to hear anyone else point that out. To me, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

The transition from "Mars" back to "Jupiter" at the end of Vanguard's show really needs to be re-thought. It does not work with the rest of the show and is IMO really hard to listen to.

I love it personally. Jupiter fighting back into the mix sounds wonderful, however, I highly doubt that their ending will stay the same unless the really want to end the show with an unresolved chord.

• Like 2

YES. The rest of the show is good, up to that point. I've been surprised not to hear anyone else point that out. To me, it sticks out like a sore thumb.

That's because they are going to replace it with Music of the Night. :ph34r:

• Like 6