Sex offenders being involved with drum corps

Yeah cheap shot on the altar boy thing. Its kinda gratuitous to be honest. For the record the actual number of priests involved in the sex scandals is roughly equal to the percentage of men involved in pederasty in the general population. It's no badge of honor, but I don't like the idea one would so summarily disrespect a great experience I had growing up and being an altar boy ( and NOT being abused)

http://www.thedailyb...7/mean-men.html

far safer than the boy scouts, and heaven forbid one darn sight safer than having your child become an alter boy...

The Boy Scouts are the perfect example of an organization trying to keep sexual preditors out. They have lost massive donations because of this stance.

Quite a slam on "alter" boys. How about "alter" girls? I'll pray for you at the ALTAR next Sunday, Tom. (HA!) I'm the last one to deny that the Catholic Church hasn't caused a lot of grief. But I do believe drum corps (or is that "corpse") have caused some grief, also. It's because of "deep pockets" that the Church gets sued as much as it does.

It will be a real shame if this spins out of control and causes the demise of drum corps as we know it. I just wish both parties would come clean and tell us all what really happened. Period. Until that happens--the rumors will make a bad situation worse.

Edited by Scerpella
  • Like 1

key word adults. I have a daughter too, and having been falsely accused of relations with a minor when I was 22, it's scary as hell. thankfully, being even more full of it then than I am now, when I testifed before the school board, the words " if you're going to accuse me of sleeping with a student, at least pick one that weighs less than I do" came out of my mouth....but it also proved my saving grace.

I truly dont get this answer. You admit you were under suspicion yourself from a false accusation. It doesnt occur to you that the person in question might have been a victim of the same thing? From where I sit the difference between the two of you might be that you were able to get out of it and he wasnt.

One wonders where this righteous certainty comes from on your part Jeff. It seems to me Tom's answer is the probably the only one possible.

We have a justice system, and provided that person follows those dictates, then it is up to the individual corps.

far safer than the boy scouts, and heaven forbid one darn sight safer than having your child become an alter boy...

Organizations like the Boy Scouts became safer after making volunteers and leaders go thru background checks. The preditors then starting looking for places not checking so they could get near the kids without being suspected. One of the last groups to realize they needed the background checks were churches. So preditors started targeting curches because of the lack of checks. Source: training I had ca 2000 which had nothing to do with the Catholic church scandal as this addressed all people working with kids.

Up to a few years ago I saw posts in another group stating "we don't need checks because no one in our <deleting name of Protestant denomiation> has even done anything to kids. And God wouldn't let it happen anyway so we're OK". Hell if I was a preditor and could move I'd be trying to find out where this place was. Same deal if I found out a corps didn't do checks.

The Boy Scouts are the perfect example of an organization trying to keep sexual preditors out. They have lost massive donations because of this stance.

If you're saying what I think you're saying, I call BS. The background check procedures are what is helping the safety factor. If you think they are safer because of their ban they you are as short sighted as the quote I made above. Talk about looking in the wrong places or a false sense of security by thinking you kept "them" out. :doh: Hope your troop still does the security checks or they are heading toward a sad day. "Hey I'm straight, I'm OK to be around the kids". Sounds like a guy I've seen on the local news every night for months.... wife.... couple kids.... 30-60 years sentence.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

Not even close.

The Boy Scouts have lost massive amounts of donations because they discriminate against homosexuals and atheists, be they members or leaders. It has absolutely NOTHING at all to do with keeping sexual predators out, which is a completely different and more importantly SEPARATE issue. To even insinuate otherwise is incredibly ignorant and insulting beyond belief.

Try again.

• Like 3

I truly dont get this answer. You admit you were under suspicion yourself from a false accusation. It doesnt occur to you that the person in question might have been a victim of the same thing? From where I sit the difference between the two of you might be that you were able to get out of it and he wasnt.

One wonders where this righteous certainty comes from on your part Jeff. It seems to me Tom's answer is the probably the only one possible.

We have a justice system, and provided that person follows those dictates, then it is up to the individual corps.

Not sure if the person Jeff is talking about is on the preditor list or not. If he is are you saying there are problems with it or should not be considered? And let's not forget anyone on the list was found guilty in court and not just accused.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

And we wouldnt have been talking about any of this had it not been for Mr Rudnicki's shot that was heard all over the world.

DA

• Like 3

There is a world of difference between wrongly accused and convicted.

Yes, there is a justice system, and in this case, the person was accused, tried and convicted.

well Dan, when the names I was given to look up appear on websites as conviced sex offenders, no I don't think it's a false accusation. They don't go and put people up on national registries for the hell of it.

as for you questioning my certainty.....go look up some names you know on that link I posted. bet you see what I see. so far, I have found 4 names, 2 I knew and 2 given to me. 2 of which appeared on the field this summer., 2 in the past 3 years

And we wouldnt have been talking about any of this had it not been for Mr Rudnicki's shot that was heard all over the world.

DA

well...no I would have posted it here anyways. I'm an ######## like that