2012 DCA Rules Congress - Baltimore, MD

Glen

I am leaving DCA and joining TTA (Thumb Twiddler Associates).....much less controversy there (well, except for the whole single vs: double jointed controversy, but we don't discuss THAT) :whistle:/> :whistle:/>

I'd love to see the GE sheets for THAAT! :tongue:

Just because Corps are allowed to do something doesn't mean they have to.

What's going to happen in the future though, is smaller corps won't have to buy Contras anymore because the synth will eventually fill the part.

Well, I think Mike's point is that almost every school district has instrumental music options, including some kind of marching band in most cases, so almost all kids have an opportunity to get "an instrumental music experience", even one that includes field performance, if not competition.

So to summarize, almost all HS kids have options for some kind of opportunity to get an experience that might include - darn, lost my train of thought.

By the time you navigate through the almosts, somes, maybes and mights, you begin to realize why we also have youth programs outside of the schools.

Well, I think Mike's point is that almost every school district has instrumental music options, including some kind of marching band in most cases, so almost all kids have an opportunity to get "an instrumental music experience", even one that includes field performance, if not competition.

Yup. Exactly. And that too is not all that different from corps in my day. The first corps I ever belonged to (64-67) never competed at all...we only did parades and an exhibition at a competition we hosted. Not every corps competed.

What's going to happen in the future though, is smaller corps won't have to buy Contras anymore because the synth will eventually fill the part.

Then why have drum corsp at all? Because a synth can fill ALL parts.....by your own logic, you won't need ANYONE opn the field playing music, you will just need the visual performers and all the sound will come from speakers....oh wait, we already HAVE that.... it's called WGI!

Can someone clarify: do I understand correctly that the Hershey contract with DCA (or DCI) included a clause allowing the venue to cancel the contract (presumably with some notice period) in favor of a higher paying group?

Problem was the 800 lb gorilla that owns the stadium refused to sign a contract with the group running the show to use the stadium. And in the lawsuit it came out that no signed contract is Standard Operating Procedure for the stadium owners. So legally there was not a contract that was broken, at least that's what the court ruled in the lawsuit.

Surprise for me was finding out the the annual Big33 Football game had the same problem of no contract. This is a PA vs OH (or whoever) All Star HS game that has been going on for decades and fills the entire stadium. Not to mention tons of publicity generated every year. If the stadium owners are willing to bleep that up what chance does a corps show have.

Oh yeah... stadium owners are under of the Hershey Foods umbrella.. and they literally don't give rats rear end what the local community thinks.

Edit: HersheyPark Stadium is the biggest stadium in the area and is ideal for large events like this. Problem is the owners know that anyone wanting to use the stadium just can't pack up and go somewhere else. I've also seen the contracts for the Antique Car show (about 200K visitor during the week) signed with the same owners. Just the thought of what gets charged for rental makes me reach for the Preperation H.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL , Kid Liz.. Can you just say Son he is not a Kid anymore ..

It depends on the given day :P

Wow! 2014 back in a crappy tiny stadium in Rochester AND electronic feedback? I sure hope ticket prices go up to complete the trifecta!

Yea I'm going to miss: paying $10 everytime I go to the stadium, 90 degree heat, hotel rooms that cost $150, very crappy I & E venue, Staduim so big any crowd looked small, an area where people don't even know what Drum Corps is, no one to seat people so they sit anywhere, walking a mile just to get in, not being able to sit and watch my friends at I & E, sound system that echos all night, driving 20 miles to a hotel, and on and on. DCA is back in Roc because they won the bid, which I'm sure wasn't hard, and people in Roc love drum corps. There is even one from there that competes, unlike Annapolis. I liked Scranton and Allentown, even Philly but as much as I love to visit Md, not for DCA!!!!!!

• Like 4