G7 Update

Yes, he's joking.

I checked. It's a joke.

lol... I think there would have been much more of an uproar on DCP if it hadn't been a joke. :tongue:

"We reject the tactics currently employed by this group, its disregard for due process and parliamentary procedure, its lack of respect for duly established organizational bylaws, its penchant for resorting to disrespectful and aggressive behavior at the expense of mature and mutually respectful deliberation, its lack of professionalism and all of its attempts to undermine the unity of the activity." If this is factually accurate, and this maneuver breaks standing agreement and procedure, then we need to accept that this union is broken. No one is happy. I think the world of George Hopkins, but if this is all about business, then DCI needs to make a clear business decision: give the "7" what they want or let them go, so we can get back to enjoying the activity. Three years of this nonsense is enough. I've learned that once you are out of the spotlight, people forget who you are pretty darn fast.

Edited by mattyqp

Reports out of the DCI meetings in each of the Hotel suites covering a variety of topics went off without a hitch last nite. There is a video that was released earlier today of the civil manner most of the meetings in each suite went.

Very funny! Benny Hill... possible show music and theme?

I just noticed in the pre-meeting overview posted to DCI's website on Thursday that Glassmen were eligible to vote this weekend.

This letter is all-together powerful, damning, and forceful. It's an excellent example of a position that was presented respectfully and with the clear understanding that its points would be made public, whether or not it was intended to be "leaked". It's obviously written by a thoughtful person or group who had a littany of complaints and needed a document that was absolutely clear, where words mean something and make sense, where lines of thought are exposed using transparency and clarity of meaning. It's messages needed to be forceful, powerful, and without ambiguation. It clearly succeeds on all points.

Two additional things strike me: first, that many of its points are a mirror of the many contributors who have posted to this thread. If the points made in this letter are proved to be accurate, it's a vindication of those among us here who have taken a position against the 7's tactics (while not necessarily their positions or goals). Those who doubt the collective wisdom of, likely, the activities most involved and knowledgable fans should take notice, and that includes posters here, DCI, and yes, the directors themselves. While there certainly is hyperbole on DCP, the opinions and comments here are, in fact, a brain trust. It should be used, tapped, and promoted. Thank you, Troop, for that vindication.

Second, the accusations in this letter are damning. It...

1. Accuses the seven of being disingenuous about the reasons for the current situation

2. Accuses them of failing in their responsibility of stewardship as leaders of the activity

3. Accuses them and their policies as being a (the?) primary reason why Open Class corps struggle

4. Names "a few" directors as having managed their responsibilies as directors based upon their own, personal whims

5. Accuses "members" of the seven of renegging on an agreement made decades ago to change the BOD makeup via a voting process instead of a placement process

6. Accuses the seven of deliberate non-participation in the election process

7. Accuses them of being self-serving and divisive

8. Accuses them of ignoring due process and procedures

9. Accuses them of ignoring the bylaws

10. Accuses them of being disrespectful and aggressive

11. Accuses them of intentionally attempting to undermine the activity

It can be safely assumed that these accusations represent the Troopers' recent experiences concerning the seven. It's possible that these accusations have been thrown around against the seven for years, and maybe not all seven, and those directors it names simply shrug them off as the whining sour-grapes of an un-successful corps.

But this is some of the most strenuous "whining" I've ever seen come out of DCI. As a donor to the DCI, I'm very happy to hear an official opposing side that is so clear, concise, and well-written in both its tone and content.

The letter may only contribute to an already toxic atmosphere in the board meetings this weekend, but it may also provide a base from which both sides can discuss their differences, and hopefully make some progress towards kissing and making up.

(I'm intentionally pulling a "Ream" so the letter is easy to find for those who haven't seen it.)

Let me sum it up better.

It's the first time someone in DCI had the balls to publicly call them out for what many have known and said for years

• Like 6

Let me sum it up better.

It's the first time someone in DCI had the balls to publicly call them out for what many have known and said for years

#### it ipad!!!! I'm sorry Jeff. I seriously have got to stop viewing DCP on my newfangled little tool. I minused you with my stupid pinky. I wish we could have an "undo" option for the plus minus stuff!!!

Edited by TerriTroop

The results are in:

Elected to the board were:

Mark Arnold (Blue Knights)

Roman Blenski (Pioneer)

Jim Coates (Carolina Crown)

Jeff Fiedler (Santa Clara Vanguard)

David Gibbs (Blue Devils)

George Hopkins (Cadets)

Chris Komnick (Madison Scouts)

Fred Morrison (Crossmen)

One additional director, not affiliated with a member organization, will be elected by the board in the coming weeks.

In a reorganization meeting following the election, the following officers of the board were selected:

Chairman — Jeff Fiedler

Vice-Chairman — Chris Komnick

Treasurer — Fred Morrison

Secretary — George Hopkins

Read more: http://www.dci.org/n...5#ixzz2JCPeamtu

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

The results are in:

Elected to the board were:

Mark Arnold (Blue Knights)

Roman Blenski (Pioneer)

Jim Coates (Carolina Crown)

Jeff Fiedler (Santa Clara Vanguard)

David Gibbs (Blue Devils)

George Hopkins (Cadets)

Chris Komnick (Madison Scouts)

Fred Morrison (Crossmen)

One additional director, not affiliated with a member organization, will be elected by the board in the coming weeks.

In a reorganization meeting following the election, the following officers of the board were selected:

Chairman Jeff Fiedler

Vice-Chairman Chris Komnick

Treasurer Fred Morrison

Secretary George Hopkins

Read more: http://www.dci.org/n...5#ixzz2JCPeamtu

Drum Corps is so odd. I wonder if the 7 know how much they are being... watched.

Edited by thirdcoast
  • Like 1