Denton, TX

I had a feeling BD would take over

Several people (including friends in the corps) said they had a really off night tonight. "In control" to me is more than a .1 spread.

• Like 2

First show of the season for me tonight. A very quick synopsis. Because of work obligations, I wasn't able to see Mandarins or Colts. My vantage point was also poor because I was fairly low and between 40-30. That being said, my favorite corps of the night was SCV. Great uniform look and first powerful and compact sound of the night for me. Perhaps it was because they were the first corps after INT. I especially appreciated the high mark time company front (Thank you Jeff Fiedler!) Also liked the flags behind the back drops in backfield. Also liked the brass playing back there as well.

My impressions of the other corps are just too basic but I will comment on what stuck out in my mind.

Love Pat Metheny's First Circle for BK. The closing theme to the show should be a much faster tempo and the marching should also be faster. Rotating circles may be too obvious here, but I was imagining Star doing their circles in '91 during "Roman Images."

Cavies weren't as bad as I thought they were going to be. Seemed like a typical Cavies show. I agree somewhat that the cloaks blur the forms, but not to the point of distraction. Was told there are about 85 new young rookies in this corps. They seemed solid to me.

Cadets didn't astound like in years past. Again I was low, so I totally missed on the GE from up high. A friend who was up there was amazed at the sound going back and forth on the field.

Not sure what to make of BD. Again, not as horrid as some have suggested, but I agree to some extent that the show is out there. I love the PR version of the music from 2000, so I'm a little biased. I just don't get all the poles on stands. This show made me begin to despise props.

Thought I would like Crown more than I did. Just didn't feel it as much. But I did like the brass book a lot. Nice control and sound. Guard was solid as well. Not a fan of narration, so it detracts for me.

Spirit, not a bad show. Like the theme. Nice brass moments throughout. Guard nice job.

Xmen, not enthralled by the theme. Some nice moments though.

Blue Stars, also not sure about the theme. The corps seemed flat, but going on early will do that. Snare line especially looked like they were struggling to get thru their drill.

Not sure what was going on outside the stadium, but fans had the hardest time getting in. Traffic and parking was apparently a disaster. According to some it took over an hour just to exit of the highway and finally make it into the stadium. And DCI charging $5 for parking and then not having parking spots for those people was a huge blunder. Fans were angry by the time they got to the gate. Also the general seating down low was also mishandled. People had specific sections for their general seating tickets. But when they got to their sections, there were no seats because people just sat anywhere. Reserved seating was sold out, but even people that had those tickets found people sitting in their seats. I would have been angry too had I paid big bucks for my tickets and then couldn't get to the stadium in a reasonable time frame.

• Like 1

How was Magic of Orlando?

Folded

wow....

will Crown lose another title due to their percussion scores

will BD win yet another one with the crowd boo'ing

will Cadets have a surge to the top (after realizing they need to change their medea ending lol)

will SCV pass anyone in the top 3

will Blue Stars fall out of the top 12 to Crossmen yet again

honestly.. I'm about to give up on DCI judging

Edited by dcibrando

This is what Crown needed to watch out for, BD is starting to get clean. The recap shows them getting credit for the demand in the content/composition sub-captions and beating Crown there. Crown is still taking the achievement/execution sub-caption. The cleaner BD gets the more credit they'll get for this monster of a design .

Winning those sub captions along with the spread in percussion will be enough to sink Crown unless some changes are made. BD won't necessarily have to "out perform" Crown to pass them the way these sheets are written!!

• Like 3

wow....

will Crown lose another title due to their percussion scores

will BD win yet another one with the crowd boo'ing

will Cadets have a surge to the top (after realizing they need to change their medea ending lol)

will SCV pass anyone in the top 3

will Blue Stars fall out of the top 12 to Crossmen yet again

honestly.. I'm about to give up on DCI judging

Why are you giving up? Judges are simply using the sheets they're given. See my explanation in the above post. BTW, I agree with most of your predictions there!! :)

This is what Crown needed to watch out for, BD is starting to get clean. The recap shows them getting credit for the demand in the content/composition sub-captions and beating Crown there. Crown is still taking the achievement/execution sub-caption. The cleaner BD gets the more credit they'll get for this monster of a design .

Winning those sub captions along with the spread in percussion will be enough to sink Crown unless some changes are made. BD won't necessarily have to "out perform" Crown to pass them the way these sheets are written!!

This was gonna sort of be my response to those saying Crown had an "off" night. Maybe it's other corps getting better.

• Like 2

So now Cadets are 1st in music analysis?