Allentown 2013

GE is still performance driven, just like every other caption. There was a serious push for GE points tonight by the Blue Stars with the addition of the dress that goes over the hornline after the closing notes, not to mention other subtleties I've not noticed since I saw them in Dublin, and they've obviously paid off for the night.

I thought Blue Stars were over Spirit in Effect also. It's a more mature show and performed well. I would have had Blue Stars over Spirit by over a point.

Edited by newjerseycorpguy
  • Like 4

Before Friday's show, I parked the car on nearby Chew Street, and visited the nearby Allentown Fairgrounds for dinner.

There is a great year-round, indoor farmer's market, just moments from the stadium. Dinner was pizza, deviled eggs, a bagel, one pickle on a stick, and banana pudding.

Did I ever mention how I love to eat?

• Like 6

I enjoyed Allentown night 1, though I was a bit disappointed that my ticket said 7 PM and the show started at 6:30, however I hit traffic at the Tappanzee Bridge and again in Pennsylvania (I travelled from the Boston area), so I would not have arrived earlier but I'm the type who wants to be present fro everything from "The national Anthem" to hearing the dismissal of the drum majors. I'll just comment on the corps I saw the full show.

Colts: Great show, deserved a better score. I love the new uniforms and the sound just put me In the mood for the evening.

Spirit: I loved the show. I would agree with the score but not the placement. They've added quite a bit as the summer has progressed. I love the bar scene and it come across better than earlier in the season.

Blue Stars: First time seeing the show live, it is stronger than last year and has some fantastic guard work but I'm not sure I thought they were better than Spirit, however when the scores are so close it's almost quibbling to say which corps is better. For me, Spirit drew me into the show a bit more than Blue Stars.

SCV: Thought they had it tonight. Easily the crowd pleaser of the evening. They are edging very close to Cadets.

Phantom: I believe their first 90 of the season, well deserved. I haven't seen them live since July 5th, the show is electric and as I've said in other posts, "Enigma Variations" is my favorite arrangement of the season.

Bluecoats: Great show. Critics have said the show has gotten a but static, but anyone who says this was not at this evening's show. Note to Bluecoats staff: while this has nothing to do with Bluecoats performance, they filled Yocco's and the convenience store next door. your marching members dressed in Bluecoats attire were polite, friendly, and represented your corps well.

Cadets: I thought they got off to a slow start, but it was momentary and they more than made up for it with dome great moments. I was sitting in the Cadets section, and the crowd was ecstatic from the first note to the last. I thought last night's East Coast Classic was a better show, but this was still an exemplary job. They do have to watch out for SCV and should feel SCV's score this evening is too close for comfort, but no doubt George and company already know this.

Tomorrow should be exciting. Crown and BD could be interesting given their back and forth to date and how Madison, BAC, Cavies, and BK will place could also be exciting. There's also a bit of excitement brewing between Cascades and Pioneer..

BTW: People must have complained about the time on they tickets--tomorrow's show will start at 7 PM as the ticket states.

• Like 4

While true... and you and others are focusing on Fugett, the other GE Music judge, Ken Turner for the first time this seasson is the first judge in 9 head to head previous matchups to place SCV over the Cadets in GE Music,... and did so by 3 tenths. So which is the outlier in this caption up to tonite, Fugett or Turner ? I'd say Turner. That said, I'm thrilled to see SCV do well in GE Music as I love their traditional based, audience friendly show.

And this is exactly why DCI double panels this caption.

I was a bit disappointed that my ticket said 7 PM and the show started at 6:30

You should be. A mistake like that would get your money refunded in the theater, if we weren't able to contact you in advance to let you know of the change.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Link to discussion threads for all 2013 World Class corps

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

I enjoyed Allentown night 1, though I was a bit disappointed that my ticket said 7 PM and the show started at 6:30, however I hit traffic at the Tappanzee Bridge and again in Pennsylvania (I travelled from the Boston area), so I would not have arrived earlier but I'm the type who wants to be present fro everything from "The national Anthem" to hearing the dismissal of the drum majors. I'll just comment on the corps I saw the full show.

BTW: People must have complained about the time on they tickets--tomorrow's show will start at 7 PM as the ticket states.

Sorry to hear the wrong time was printed on the tickets. DCI's website has both nights starting at 6:30, as does Regiment's site for last night.

Garry in Vegas