Thoughts on the TOC

Who cares! I am also concerned there is now a separate "cup" or trophy for a subset within DCI. The only champion I care about is the DCI champion! This only creates more divisiveness and gives the appearance of a separate more important championship then the DCI championship. BOO on this!

I really have no idea for sure, but my guess is that members marching TOC corps would MUCH rather walk away from the summer with the DCI championship than the TOC cup. "Oh your corps won the cup?? That's nice, check out my new ring..."

• Like 3

Crown has a better chance at winning this TOC cup than DCI finals. However, it is interesting that this type of scoring actually rewards those corps that come out of the gate strong. I wonder if DCI implemented this kind of scoring for regionals than the first regional would be a lot more important and it would reward corps for their hardwork at every part of the season and not just the end.

• Like 1

I don't see why people think this TOC championship will take away from winning Finals. Believe me, no corps or corps member would rather win it over Finals.

much like finals is more important than any other show - I guess they decided to weigh it toward the final show to keep the "winner" in doubt up until the end... Plus it allows a corps to come from behind with a late season surge

Well, I guess the better comparison would be if the individual scores at Finals counted six times as much as the scores at Semis, which wouldn't make a lot of sense either.

From the article, "Determining each corps’ average score in the first six TOC events, then adding each corps’ respective average to its score from Buffalo, N.Y. yields the final cumulative score."

Does that mean the Buffalo show counts 6 times as much as all the other shows, or did they just word this badly?

No, it means the Buffalo show alone counts just as much as the aggregate of the previous 6 shows.

Who cares! I am also concerned there is now a separate "cup" or trophy for a subset within DCI. The only champion I care about is the DCI champion! This only creates more divisiveness and gives the appearance of a separate more important championship then the DCI championship. BOO on this!

I surely agree that I don't give a darn about the TOC cup. And I agree that the TOC is only a distraction from the DCI tour.

That said, perhaps it's time to think of it a different way: When it's tried with the gusto that their proposal suggested it will produce one of two results, either it will succeed or it won't.

If it succeeds, perhaps it will highlight or introduce concepts that DCI can implement to make the tour better and all corps can learn from.

If it fails (ignoring the inevitable blame game resulting) it will prove a poor concept that the activity can put behind it. However, I believe failure is only a step to success and that all successful ventures only follow many failures. As such, I would not be surprised if a TOC failure would be followed by another attempt.

The key for me is that they try together, as one, and succeed or fail together, as one.

• Like 2

It's an equivalent of the Spirit of Disney award. A meaningless "award" hanging like a loose thread on a suit coat. The members know which award really matters in the activity.

So I can't imagine anyone actually caring enough to be upset about it.