2014 Predictions!

1. BD (they have the best package, and no reason to believe they won't drive it home).

2. Crown, 1.5 points back

3. Bluecoats

4. Cadets (they'll start stalling in July)

5. Cavaliers (surprising a few people, but this show has more room to move than the 6-8 shows)

6. Vanguard

7. Regiment

8. Boston

9. Scouts

10. Blue Knights

11. Crossmen

12. Blue Stars, Troopers, or Spirit - pick 'em

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1

I believe Bluecoats has the best package, followed by Cadets. I'm really confused with BD right now, because their horn arc run-through was amazing, but the show sucked. Crown's show is awesome as always, but not quite the full package (yet?). Vanguard is way better than Cavies this year.

1. BD (they have the best package, and no reason to believe they won't drive it home).

2. Crown, 1.5 points back

3. Bluecoats

4. Cadets (they'll start stalling in July)

5. Cavaliers (surprising a few people, but this show has more room to move than the 6-8 shows)

6. Vanguard

7. Regiment

8. Boston

9. Scouts

10. Blue Knights

11. Crossmen

12. Blue Stars, Troopers, or Spirit - pick 'em

• Like 1

And what sucked about the show exactly?

I believe Bluecoats has the best package, followed by Cadets. I'm really confused with BD right now, because their horn arc run-through was amazing, but the show sucked. Crown's show is awesome as always, but not quite the full package (yet?). Vanguard is way better than Cavies this year.

There were just waaay too many micro-shows going on within the show. And for some reason, the show caused the hornline to under-perform -- to the point which I didn't recognize the quality that I had just heard at the BBQ. I mean literally at the BBQ standstill I turned to my wife and said "this wins". I actually liked the set when they first came out. Just didn't buy the show at all. I guess it's a GE thing...

And what sucked about the show exactly?

I haven't seen everyone and have seen no one "live" so I think ranking at this juncture for me is a pointless exercise. Instead, I'll comment on the designs and how I think they are built from a competitive standpoint.

BD has one of their most accessible shows (in terms of audience approval) in years. They're a championship machine, of course...and how could you not be after decades of little to no staff turnover? They have DCI down to a science. Tentative guess is another Top 3 finish.

SCV has taken a step up in terms of design this year. I like the package, but I'm not 100 percent sold that this can contend for a medal. Top 5 is easily attainable. I'm looking forward to the day SCV breaks back into the Top 3 and perhaps with some mid-season design shuffling and revamping, this could do it. The percussion is really strong (their highlight for sure) and that brass line is their best in at least five years, so the pieces are there.

Crossmen have a pretty solid product and they are performing it well. My one concern with them is that they don't start out-achieving the book, which I think is a possibility based on what I heard last night. Drill is a major improvement. The visual package has come up to the level of the musical production, and that's really heartening. They will fight for Top 12, but I have a feeling that's gonna be a crowded bar brawl this year.

Pacific Crest's show is solid, if a little uninspired (again, IMO). I have similar concerns as with Crossmen: that they might end up out-performing the book. As always, they will be in the fight for a Semis slot.

Mandarins have gotten better each year for the past three years running. The visual program especially this year is probably the best one they've ever put on the field. It's going to take all season to grow into the program (they were quite dirty last night) but that's a *good* thing. They've got a shot at Semis.

I don't know what to make of Crown just yet. Love the brass book. It's got some cool things going on. Occasionally I get a bit of a cluttered feel in the visual package, like maybe too many ideas thrown against the wall in an attempt to out-do what they accomplished last year. That staff is full of talent, though, so I have no doubt it will all come together. Top 5. Possibly medal. I have concerns about being able to clean it.

Despite what people have been saying about all the narration in Cadets show, they are probably doing the most "traditional" program in the Top 12. It actually feels a little TOO safe right now. They're performing the hell out of it, though, and that's putting them above Crown right now. My only concern is I hope they don't peak early. Top 5 fight. At present, more likely for a medal than Crown...but that could change over the next month easily.

Phantom's show works. It's solid. It's neat. I'm not sure it's Top 5. Certainly the visual package is much improved this year, and that alone could put them in as long as it gets cleaned up. This is a program that I think will need a few tweaks as the season progresses to make sure they maximize the design.

Cavaliers have improved since last year (and the year before), but the program doesn't really work for me as-is. I need to see this one live before I make any kind of judgement call on it, so I'll abstain here.

Bluecoats I have only seen via run-through video, but if the live experience is anywhere near that exciting, they will contend for a medal.

• Like 1

If the top 12 were based on favorite shows, the Bluecoats would get a gold medal this year. That show is creative, fun, engaging, entertaining, exciting, etc. This year's show is much, much better than their white picket fence, small town, 'Murica, oh golly gee wiz, show from last year.

• Like 3

Bluecoats have definitely come to play this year. It took me by complete surprise. I had no idea what was coming from Canton.

• Like 1

Ok, I'll try :

1. Bluecoats

2. BD

3. Crown

4. Cadets

5. PR

6. Cavaliers

7. SCV

8. Scouts

9. Boston

10. Blue Knights

11. Crossmen

12. Spirit

Edited by tim_brandt
  • Like 3

On, I'll try :

1. Bluecoats

2. BD

3. Crown

4. Cadets

5. PR

6. Cavaliers

7. SCV

8. Scouts

9. Boston

10. Blue Knights

11. Crossmen

12. Spirit

seriously! Spirit will be lucky at 16 or 17.