Bluecoats 2014

Fantastically put. Bluecoats are bringing old-school drum corps back with a modern tilt, and that's (like you said) the genius of it. It's simple but integrated so well that it's infectious. They're taking something conceptually simple, putting it in the show in complicated ways, and then making it look/sound easy. That's what a championship corps does with a championship show. I think that if they clean it up, they can go for the gold!

It's not fantastically put! Read what he just wrote! He's basically said it's "kick@xx" because it's old school. That's not a theme! "Old school, simple, infectious, conceptually simple, complicated ways, it looks easy." Those are adjectives describing the work's popularity, but that's basically meritless. That's like handing in a term paper in a Cinema class and saying, "I liked the film. I liked the characters. It was good. The producers made it look easy. Everyone likes it." You see how vacuous that is?

What is the thematic meaning behind the word "tilt" and how have they developed it? That's their job. That's how the judges will be evaluating their show design. Even if it's something simple like a physical movement struggling with the triangles, that's all they need. They just need to define the repeating game in the show. Without it, the whole thing falls apart.

So what meaning has Bloo given the concept of "tilt?" Any socio political meaning? Any emotional meaning? Any meaning relating to current events? Historical events? The way we live? What you're passionate about? The nature of the world. The nature of the human form? The nature of established thought. The value of alternative points of view?

"Kick####" and "Everybody likes it" is not a theme! That's not a cohesive artistic design. It's without depth of meaning. It has no artistic merit. It has no "elseness". There are no layers of thought about psychology, sociology, philosophy, the nature and purpose of life, the way we live or why.

What is the focus? What's the game? That things tilt? And.... AND??? It's an empty, simple-minded copout that will not stand up to the other shows with layers of meaning. It just won't.

Edited by Brutus

Lighten up, Brutus. Sometimes there's no "there" there. I don't recall seeing on the sheets - conveyed the meaning of life. Or any ologies or osophies. Or thermodynamics for the matter. Although I don't know how anyone could walk away from an exploration of the Mollier Diagram.

• Like 3

It's not fantastically put! Read what he just wrote! He's basically said it's "kick@xx" because it's old school. That's not a theme! "Old school, simple, infectious, conceptually simple, complicated ways, it looks easy." Those are adjectives describing the work's popularity, but that's basically meritless. That's like handing in a term paper in a Cinema class and saying, "I liked the film. I liked the characters. It was good. The producers made it look easy. Everyone likes it." You see how vacuous that is?

What is the thematic meaning behind the word "tilt" and how have they developed it? That's their job. That's how the judges will be evaluating their show design. Even if it's something simple like a physical movement struggling with the triangles, that's all they need. They just need to define the repeating game in the show. Without it, the whole thing falls apart.

So what meaning has Bloo given the concept of "tilt?" Any socio political meaning? Any emotional meaning? Any meaning relating to current events? Historical events? The way we live? What you're passionate about? The nature of the world. The nature of the human form? The nature of established thought. The value of alternative points of view?

"Kick####" and "Everybody likes it" is not a theme! That's not a cohesive artistic design. It's without depth of meaning. It has no artistic merit. It has no "elseness". There are no layers of thought about psychology, sociology, philosophy, the nature and purpose of life, the way we live or why.

What is the focus? What's the game? That things tilt? And.... AND??? It's an empty, simple-minded copout that will not stand up to the other shows with layers of meaning. It just won't.

Not everyone (myself included) thinks that drum corps needs to have deep meaning to be good or enjoyable. (What you call deep layering, others might call comically overwrought pretentiousness.) Your opinion is no more "right" than anyone else's.

• Like 2

Yes, the progression was that the Robots eventually took over the entire human corps, at the end, robot horn and drum players were being manufactured. Technology replaced the human spirit.

Eventually you people will realize how shows are ranked by judges.

5th place - Show with no theme (Madison)

4th Place - Show with a theme (Bluecoats)

3rd place - Show with a theme and a pattern (Crown).

2ndplace - Show with a theme, pattern and story (Cavies, SCV, Phantom)

1st Place - Show with a theme, pattern, story and humanity. (Cadets, BD)

Amazing that many here cite Machine as having no plot -- no storyline.

So apparently that oh so important storyline was missed by most of the audience. Guess it wasn't so important was it?

And -- as I said -- Bloo's design team may very well have some BS plot device already written into the show. Maybe YOU just don't get it.

Oh -- almost forgot:

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

(really late but better late than never)

Edited by corpsband