2014 Rules Proposals

Aren't saxophones made of brass?

Yes.... BUT they make their sound with a reed like most of the other woodwinds.

....but a flute doesn't.... :tounge2:

I'm in favor of both proposals... because they make sense to me... but also in no small part because of the corps that proposed them. Madison has been one corps on the right track in terms of building audiences and audience passion over the last twenty years. For the same reason: I'm no insider say the least, but I give the odds of passage of these two ideas as Slim and None, with Slim on a Train Heading Out of Town.

Yeah, the difference is, the judges are experts in their captions. How do you propose we come up with an expert in what the audience in the stands is feeling. Do we really want what entertains one portion of the fans to outweigh what entertains others? Again, alienation is almost inevitable. Not a good idea.

again, DCA has this component in their system, and in no way has it called a show in favor for corps that get massive cheers

While in theory the entertainment factor seems like a good idea, I think it probably is not. There are several corps every year that have twice as many fans, so if you are judging fan reactions for entertainment value, I think there are 3 corps that would have louder crowd reactions. Also, I think you would see a lot of people not cheering for parts of shows that are great, in order to help another corps win. I know it sounds funny, but I could really see that happening. As it is at finals, there are always people hoping that corps X has an off night, so their favorite corps can beat them. If by going nuts over one corps show, while showing absolutely no emotion for other corps, I think it would give the judges the wrong point of view. I like DCI the way it is, because most people do applaud when exciting things happen on the field, and almost everyone gives every corps a standing ovation, which I truly believe each corps deserves.

I think adding all types of brass would also be a mistake As mentioned already, I can't see trombones making the cut in some of the drill some corps put on the field. Could you imagine the high speed kaleidoscopic drill the Cadets and Cavaliers put out, with trombones? I am a band director as well, but really think it would change for the negative all that the corps currently do.

While in theory the entertainment factor seems like a good idea, I think it probably is not. There are several corps every year that have twice as many fans, so if you are judging fan reactions for entertainment value, I think there are 3 corps that would have louder crowd reactions. Also, I think you would see a lot of people not cheering for parts of shows that are great, in order to help another corps win. I know it sounds funny, but I could really see that happening. As it is at finals, there are always people hoping that corps X has an off night, so their favorite corps can beat them. If by going nuts over one corps show, while showing absolutely no emotion for other corps, I think it would give the judges the wrong point of view. I like DCI the way it is, because most people do applaud when exciting things happen on the field, and almost everyone gives every corps a standing ovation, which I truly believe each corps deserves.

I think adding all types of brass would also be a mistake As mentioned already, I can't see trombones making the cut in some of the drill some corps put on the field. Could you imagine the high speed kaleidoscopic drill the Cadets and Cavaliers put out, with trombones? I am a band director as well, but really think it would change for the negative all that the corps currently do.

I agree. Anything that makes the audience feel like they can control the outcome of the performance is not a good idea. "I don't want my claps for BD to be misconstrued by the judges to mean that I'm actually entertained!"

Plus, whenever I hear the words "judging entertainment" together I feel sick.... Like I am about to be inundated with the most average and least inspiring performances in drum corps history... Yuck... Entertaining to who??? The "average" DCI fan? If DCP is any testament to the tastes of DCI fans its that there is no average fan and people are entertained by many different things. And unfortunately that means that a single thing doesn't itself entertain very many people. So if the highest entertainment score is one that has the most standing ovations jammed in 12 minutes... no thank you.

I am completely against the "band instruments" rules change. I felt the switch to any key brass was too much, but at the very least the instruments maintained the appearance of their ancestors in G. Changing the rules to allow anything (which would certainly also include concert Euphoniums) changes the makeup of DCI entirely. No longer are these Drum and BUGLE corps, but rather marching brass bands. Marching brass bands are popular in the UK, South Americas, etc. But the very core of Drum and Bugle Corps is the word BUGLE. A Sousaphone is NOT a bugle. It is a marching band instrument.

If I want to pay money to go see an all brass and percussion marching band, I'd sooner go watch Ohio State and their 28 Sousaphones, 28 upright baritones, and 28 slide trombones and be entertained then watch the new generation of garbage that will flow onto the fields should this rule pass.

There's only one good Sousaphone, and I guarantee you no corps will buy them since they aren't made by Jupiter or Yamaha.

How sad that DCI has come to this. The final step after this passes is adding woodwinds and then the transformation to competitive marching band is complete.

• Like 1

Any rule change proposal with the word "palette" in it should be categorically dismissed.

Seriously speaking, though, as others have already pointed out, trombones are not practical for world class DCI drill; therefore, the proposal contention that trombone players will be able to participate in DCI on their chosen instrument is disingenuous. Maybe a few can "participate" from the pit or in limited drill exposure, but those who wish to participate fully in the drill will have to take up baritone or euphonium, as so many currently do.

So why do this? Trombones will be the next disposable toy for a top corps, like those herald trumpets Cadets used briefly in 2010. The concert French horn has no purpose other than as a stationary solo instrument. Bell-front French horns are already legal, so if we need a new voice, why not start there? Sousaphones add nothing new to the "palette", and the majority of them would still be illegal (plastic vs. brass).

The "entertainment effect" proposal will only change one thing - a slight increase in judging costs. We already ask judges to decide what is "effective". They are already supposed to be considering the general audience as they make that determination; yet, as a group, they have become distinctly separate from the general audience both physically and emotionally. Words on sheets will not fix that.

The physical separation can be addressed by relocating the judges. Reconciling the emotional separation would require seeking input from a wider variety of people.