DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

Why don't all of you dinosaurs just get over yourselves? The people who are actually PARTICIPATING in the activity rather than just posting on DCP want this. The change will correct and adjust itself for utilization. Most baritone players are trombonists by nature. Oh, how awful it would be to have a section of them show us what they could REALLY do! Same with French Horn players who switch to mellophone. Oh no! We might actually hear what these talented individuals can give us on their NATURAL instruments? Puh-lease! We are a niche activity with niche fan base that changes very little over time. And if you claim that THIS will keep you away, you are not fans in the first place. Be a fan of the kids. It is not about the instruments, the rules, the judging system, the electronics, or anything else. It has always been and always will be about the kids!

Right... 10 years later, and many corps still have their amps on volume 1000.

• Like 3

Those of us who have been around DrumCorps long enough know how great French horns sound on a marching field and, I understand Corps directors trying to find ways of getting more of the marching band community incorporated into Drumcorps but here are my concerns:

Trombones- Will create problems distance and interval wise that DrumCorps have not had to deal with in the past. ( I know all drill writers write for band too)

Sousaphones- Why? When you have marching Tubas! ( Contras)

French Horns- Yea, I could see adding that color to the sound pallet!

I hope all non-traditional DrumCorps instruments are regulated to the front side lines besides, the synthesizer can reproduce these sounds too!

Not at all a fan of this. (And I say this as a trombone player who had to learn how to play a baritone during the audition process, which sucked.) I liked drum corps for all the little (and big) things it did differently than marching band. It seems all of those are steadily going by the wayside.

• Like 1

I used to be proud of my drum corps history but it's turning into an embarrassment when we talk about DCI. I bugged out after 2005 because of the electronics etc. Came back a couple of years ago to give it another try, and now with this news, I'm done. No coming back this time unless some serious stupidity is reversed.

Is this seriously happening? What's next? Woodwinds? I understand that Drum corps evolves over time, but this is just ridiculous. I feel that the more the activity progresses, the more changes are made. I'm scared about what the activity will be in 2020.

Yup!!! Soon after DCA allowed amping the pit, the Kilts ran right out and acquired a whole new system. Something to sit back and listen to; while polishing our G horns.

Thank God we were able to expand our budget to acquire the needed equipment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF4ny7KivzA

Yeah, that is the big problem...the huge added expense. I know Roman hates spending money on stuff like that, just to be competitive and stay in the fold and to appease that horn or music guy that will only be with the corps for what, two years maybe until they move on.

Yeah, that is the big problem...the huge added expense. I know Roman hates spending money on stuff like that, just to be competitive and stay in the fold and to appease that horn or music guy that will only be with the corps for what, two years maybe until they move on.

I feel a huge swell coming to the alumni corps ranks...

This vote has nothing to do with being "about the kids". In the dino age it really was about the kids. Taking members with little or no money and music experience and providing them with opportunity to become part of something that could alter their life. The "old drum corps" reached ALOT more of the "kids", so this constant crutch of an argument by people is really lame. The majority of the kids in the activity today are dedicated and talented enough musicians to play several different instruments very well. They don't need trombones to make them want to participate. The activity has become all about the few "artists" who design and judge themselves and the "privileged" music major members. They apparently are not able, or talented enough, to respect and understand the past in their quest for innovation and artistry. Marching bands, and most school music programs, are facing huge fiscal and support problems all over. Thinking there is a big untapped DCI membership group from that current source will only lead to the continued struggle to grow the number of corps in the activity. It is time for a new leadership vision that votes on proposals that help increase the number of corps, and then it really will be about the kids.

• Like 8

Thank god there's still DCA!!!

DCA usually follows DCI model just years down the road. DCA went to Multi key , strait leg and now electronics. Give them time and they will be down with trombones. Heck one of DCA more vocal supporters has already commented in this thread that he is happy with the ruling. That should tell you something.

• Like 1