DCI membership votes overwhelmingly to allow ALL brass instruments in

He Can play movie themes and everything on his Sousaphone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR_hh8ong_k&list=PLEA7DF4CFBEBC894C

WHATEVER.......wanna have another petition of those who support this or dont care either way?...i

Sure, why not ? I said I was for more openess, input, diversity, tolerance,etc and with calls for more fan input. So sure.. absolutely, fans could start such a support petition, or even as you suggested an apathy petition ( although,lets be real here, who'll try and organize THAT one.. haha ! ? )

Edited by BRASSO

Well, it's almost 5pm and soon the DCI offices will be closed for the day. Still no official annoucement from them.

DCI may as well allow for violins too. That way they can play them while Rome - err, DCI burns.

Note to DCI - if you're following this thread ... if this is such a great thing for drum corps (I hope it is), then why not get behind the change and share it with your student membership and fans of the world? You think you would have been chomping at the bit to do so!

Edited for: It's 5pm and our offices are now closed!

Edited by drumcorpsfever

Ah, those are the good ones aren't they - the ones that... agree with you, I guess?

The young generation can form their own opinions based on their own exposures and experiences. It's fairly immature to imply that they don't "think" just because they don't agree with you.

The irony of this is that the Madison Scouts may have the most integrated group of current marching members and alumni of any era. The Nail and the various alumni/member mixers have always been a big envy of mine. And yet, I've yet to see any of those guys decry this change. Many have come out in support of it.

The Scout alumns who I know are not happy about this.

You do realize that a lot of these guys must learn how to play other types of horns as part of their education, right? I've seen this many times.

There's the scenario where a tuba or trombone guy is forced to play a euphonium because Adam Frey isn't available and the orchestra doesn't seem to want to pay for a professional euph player full time for the very few times they're used in concerts.

Some tuba players switch to a different key tuba depending on the piece of work being played and the type of sound they want to achieve. Playing Eb, F, CC, BBb, are different experiences that should be practised.

I've also seen trombone players switch from tenor trombone to bass trombone or even contrabass trombone and be asked to be just as proficient on those instruments.

Most French horn players switch to mellophone or marching French horn for marching band season.

Euphonium players have to learn to play on at least 4 staffs, and on different variations of their instruments from time to time.

I just don't buy this argument. Versatility is a valuable skill to have too.

The argument above doesn't work for me based on my experiences of being a music major at a major university or the experiences of my peers.

And to that list at least French horn players on Wagner tubas. And oboeists on the oboe d'amore. And English horn players on the heckelphone. And so forth.

You do realize that a lot of these guys must learn how to play other types of horns as part of their education, right? I've seen this many times.

There's the scenario where a tuba or trombone guy is forced to play a euphonium because Adam Frey isn't available and the orchestra doesn't seem to want to pay for a professional euph player full time for the very few times they're used in concerts.

Some tuba players switch to a different key tuba depending on the piece of work being played and the type of sound they want to achieve. Playing Eb, F, CC, BBb, are different experiences that should be practised.

I've also seen trombone players switch from tenor trombone to bass trombone or even contrabass trombone and be asked to be just as proficient on those instruments.

Most french horn players swich to mellophone or marching french horn for marching band season.

Euphonium players have to learn to play on at least 4 staffs, and on different variations of their instruments from time to time.

I just don't buy this argument. Versatility is a valuable skill to have too.

The argument above doesn't work for me based on my experiences of being a music major at a major university or the experiences of my peers.

Are you seriously telling me that I could convince Jeff Nelsen to let his student come play mellophone in the name of ... versatility?

WHATEVER.......wanna have another petition of those who support this or dont care either way?...if it passes it does...if it doesnt thats fine also......but according to the original poster it said OVERWHELMING...kinda says how those who are involved want it to go........like I said either way

"Whatever" I guess is correct. If 4800 people who went to shows and spent money in 2013 don't in 2014, I suspect that will be noticed. If only 48 do, then it won't. Only time will tell.

with this the latest end of drum corps as we know it controversy taking place, i had another set of thoughts to go along with my oh so rosy one I put up earlier ( Mike new you can repost this one as well :tounge2: )

Drum corps as it is, especially DCi as it usually runs 10 years ahead of DCA is at a huge crossroads. Now, for the record, DCI should have seen the huge outcry coming and been prepared with material from the get go to soften the blow, or at least try to. hell if nothing else, make it as comical as the "justifications" for past rules changes.

Like Congress, we have a situation where there are two distinct camps......those who are for the old ways ( let's say anything before 2003 back to Christ) and those who want to let anything and everything in there, and this could eventually come to include live animals and pyrotechnics.

The problem is, like Congress, DCI is stuck with everyone, and can't really function or survive without the other. But as DCI wants to continue pushing ahead, maybe this will be the time the traditionalists finally start going away. DCI for the most part, and please know when i refer to DCI, it's not Dan or the office but the corps, have never really taken fan desires into consideration in terms of rules proposals, show design etc. They do what the hell they want. Then, traditionalists ( who I may add come in many different age groupings, not just old farts are people from 90's), get ###### off. They stop coming around as much. they stop spending as much. Then when they do that, we see videos and facebook posts and Hop stream of concious ramblings begging for money, or at worst, proposals to keep 7 corps in all of the money and power.

well, now is the time for those traditionalists to show their power. if it pisses you off that much, don't go. if you already bought tickets for this year, sell them. if you're that upset, don't donate any more, don't order cds or dvds, dont get the fan network.

Then, once the "headaches" as I have heard a corps director call them are gone, they are free to do what they want. Let's see exactly how much you bring in extra to replace what's lost. I spoke to a band director today who has sent several kids on to march. I told him about the change and he said he would tell his kids. His kids actually laughed at it. "hey great DCI is offically bando".

if DCI really thinks this and other changes down the road are what they need to survive, more power to you all. I'd love to see the research done to show you what it will bring into the coffers in terms of fans and revenue. You do realize the only band event that truly gets mainstream pub is either a college band using ipads or the HBCU schools. to the world at large, we're just marching band, something that makes noise in the background when we go for hotdogs at halftime.

The sooner the fanbase realizes this, the better off they are, because I really don't see DCI as a whole realizing that every attempt to "make it easier, make it more inclusive, make it more mainstream etc hasn't drawn a ###### dime more.if they did, the guy who claimed synths would allow corps to stop playing the music of dead white guys would actually stop playing the music of dead white guys.

You make some good points but lets put this in the context of the last few years. We know that the attendance has been increasing for all of DCI's major events. Now, isn't that a sign that people are starting to turn back and enjoy drum corps more? Aren't you an example of this turn back to corps? Don't the shows, more than the instrumentation, speak for themselves? Don't the increasing numbers at shows, speak more than negative posts on DCP?

DCI fans have a lot of passion and a lot of bark. But it's is a two way street, that passion also makes them have a somewhat elastic demand for corps... They'll rant on Facebook and then head on over to the Big East show for old times sake!

I mean if we want to continue to have corps we need to have designers that are excited enough to want to put together a production. We need kids that are willing to spend thousands of dollars and months of time practicing, and we need fans to enjoy it. The people who enjoy old school corps aren't the same people that are designing the shows. If the designers don't enjoy designing shows they will stop doing it. If fans don't enjoy the shows they will stop watching. I mean, if we're thinking about this in terms of supply and demand. You can't ignore the needs of the suppliers. Drum corps isn't just about the fans buying the product. It's also about the designers/directors putting the product together and the kids performing it and they do have different needs than some of the fan base. It's a give and take.

If the people complaining don't agree with DCI the best thing to do is fund/create their own corps that follows "old school rules". It would help create more corps too!

Edited by charlie1223