The Entertainment Proposal... The one that didn't pass

I don't disagree with that. But i know that in the early 90's, it was more interactive than you give it credit for.

hell i remember once in 88, a corps drum staff saw a guy watching warmups with a cooler, and they suantered over and asked for beer. ( Dad said sure, and they let him conduct LOL).

Hilarious!!! In '88 was that VK? BD? or was it a DCA corps?!?!

:dry:

utterly absurd.... the "delusional" dilemma of the over inflated sense of self worth syndrome that happens to so many people who justify their obsessive interest.

yeah, all the people that got cut year after year in November camps are now "experts" online...

An ad hominem (Latin for "to the man" or "to the person"[1]), short for argumentum ad hominem, is a general category of fallacies in which a claim or argument is rejected on the basis of some irrelevant fact about the author of or the person presenting the claim or argument.

This conversation (and many others that I've read and taken part in on this board) reminds me of this article.

http://thefederalist.com/2014/01/17/the-death-of-expertise/

There is such a thing as an expert, and no the general public doesn't know as much as said expert. They're not arrogant or elitist for knowing more about their field. Its what they are supposed to know about.

I agree with you. Experience, education, knowledge and wisdom all play a role in determining an expert within any field. The thing I was contending was the notion presented by Sinclaire that only he, and a select few of his inner circle, were the ‘only’ experts capable of having qualitative opinions within DCI; and that all in the rest of the fans, audience, musicians, instructors, etc. (especially those who disagree with him and his philosophies) were all non-educated non-experienced non-knowledgeable non-wise bottom-feeding idiots.

hoods are optional.

My limited understanding is obviously, you have to be certified with other associations in order to be even considered for the training program, and you have to have a hefty resume of doing those things. Just from what I've seen from WGI about their judge training program, some newbie off the street isn't going to walk in and get certified.

At DCI's level they can be choosy, and a recommendation from someone already judging can't hurt. But then again, WGI is more open about their process ( and pretty much everything else) than DCI is

.with WGI it does say you must be certified in a local association BUT there have been some ( I know this 1st hand :colgate: ) can be fast tracked based on experience and maybe a few tapes ....there also have been a one or two with no experience but went through the process and some how have been judging several years now.....that last one often comes up especially when it comes to their huge ego now.....lol..oh well

DCI fast tracked many of the wgi judges....some I still shake my head.......lol

Edited by GUARDLING

I agree with you. Experience, education, knowledge and wisdom all play a role in determining an expert within any field. The thing I was contending was the notion presented by Sinclaire that only he, and a select few of his inner circle, were the ‘only’ experts capable of having qualitative opinions within DCI; and that all in the rest of the fans, audience, musicians, instructors, etc. (especially those who disagree with him and his philosophies) were all non-educated non-experienced non-knowledgeable non-wise bottom-feeding idiots.

Sure. I wasn't really taking sides in the conversation (didn't really read it in detail enough to have a side to take). Just pointing out the quickness we tend to have to pull out the elitist line whenever someone knows more about something than we do.

To quote a good friend of mine "I have a toothbrush AND a drill. Want me to be your dentist?"

So which is it? Is DCI a youth program in the performing arts that need not, by definition, rely on a paying audience for its financial survival like local youth community bands or scholastic/educational music programs, (or) is DCI a Marching Music Major League Summer Music Games Multi-Multi-Million Dollar Per Year National Touring Organization which needs a paying audience for survival?

I think my previous post was clear enough:

With what drum corps costs these days, revenue from their audience is required to keep it afloat.

In a way...I see their point. They're paying to see a product, and they don't like what's happening to it.

so...do they keep paying to see something they don't like, or does the product maybe correct itself a bit?

In drum corps if you don't like the product, you're ridiculed and told you're wrong. Not a good business model.

• Like 4