Carolina Crown 2014

"Disaster" is really too strong. They still have an awesome brass line, the "liftoff" section of the show is fantastic, and the ending is starting to have an effect. IMO the most impressive part of the brass playing is not the number of notes, but the attention to musical line and the shape of the piece that they manage while playing the bazillion notes.

The middle section of the show definitely has design and pacing problems. Too many ideas about the space trip and gravity, none of which manage to create much effect or read well from the box. You can contrast SCV's pillows to Crown's trampolines for a case study in how to generate, or not generate, effect from props. It's just a fact that there are 4 other top-self shows this year, and all of them are working better from a design/effect standpoint than OOTW. But there are still some performance problems, especially in visual and guard that need to be resolved too.

They'll clean it up, and maybe finish 4th or 5th. A lot of groups, even good groups, would kill for that kind of season.

From the percussion feature to the end of the frisbee section, the show just sits there. it's not bad, it's not great, but it's less than effective.

Great horn line, but my guess is that they're gonna be 4th here on out, maybe 5th, with Cavaliers nipping away at the spread.

Edited by Slingerland

I don't think Cavies touch them and I do think they stay over SCV.

I don't think Cavies touch them and I do think they stay over SCV.

Not so sure about staying over SCV. I do enjoy Crown's show this year and the demand is off-the-charts, but Vanguard is performing with a tremendous amount of passion and artistry right now and they will be in the medal discussion. They are my dark horse.

To think that any two of this year's top five will not medal is just an amazing testament to how deep the top tier is this year. They are all worthy of it, and there are going to be 2 deservedly dissapointed corps on Saturday. I wouldn't count anyone out yet.

Not so sure about staying over SCV. I do enjoy Crown's show this year and the demand is off-the-charts, but Vanguard is performing with a tremendous amount of passion and artistry right now and they will be in the medal discussion. They are my dark horse.

To think that any two of this year's top five will not medal is just an amazing testament to how deep the top tier is this year. They are all worthy of it, and there are going to be 2 deservedly dissapointed corps on Saturday. I wouldn't count anyone out yet.

I absolutely agree with you on your point. Visually SCV is stunning compared to Crown (and that's not a dig at them) and I also have SCV in the medal hunt. I once said in an earlier post that SCV would be pushing someone off the podium. Hard to believe the 5th place corps could be either Bluecoats or Crown. We are certainly getting a bang for our buck this year.

Irving

Fan of the Arts

I like the frisbee idea a lot, but end up spending too much time looking at the folks chucking them and then the very ungraceful landings of the disks all over the backfield. Rather than being awed by a beautiful moment, I keep thinking. "who picks all those up?" Maybe they need some flats back there to mask how they slam against the ground.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who kept thinking this.

The show itself isn't terrible, nor great, but they're doing some neat things. It just feels like the overall theme was one that probably seemed cool on paper and during discussions, but didn't exactly translate well on the field.

I think the show has a lot of interesting ideas which have been tripped up by numerous missed visual design opportunities, such as:

The sort of "black hole, vacuum whoosh" thing or whatever it is, where everyone condenses in a clump and then "weightless" people are floating around on top. This is a great idea, but its not very effective because the initial person up there is wearing the same corps uniform as everyone else. There is this sea of black arms to float the person around, who is also half covered in black. It looks a pair of disembodied floating turquoise pants. If that person was in a white (or orange, as they actually wear - sorry Bloo) astronaut suit, they would really POP and since the arms are all dark, the floating would be much more convincing. Instead it comes across as basic crowd surfing.

How about these pants...

61Ilqi8pelL._UY679_.jpg

• Like 1

Listened to this show again... I'm not understanding the decision for the musical arrangements in the new closer... It somehow sounds even more incomplete than it did before. It's sorta.... anticlimatic and empty. I love this corps and this show but I hope this closer is just another placeholder.