Narration -- Do designers think audiences are now more accepting?

I believe fans will accept most anything IF it is done well, positively contributes to the show, gives the corps a little uniqueness to set the apart from the rest of the field and isn't cloying or talks down to the audience.

That's a pretty high bar. Have any performances met this? I know, being an employee of the firm, your answer would be that they all have. What do others think? BTW I agree with you that if all the conditions you list are met, it would be accepted. However it's also subjective, for example, "done well".

That's a pretty high bar. Have any performances met this? I know, being an employee of the firm, your answer would be that they all have. What do others think? BTW I agree with you that if all the conditions you list are met, it would be accepted. However it's also subjective, for example, "done well".

youre right it is subjective..........but hasn't it always been?

I sure as hell hope not... The horrible insipid narration made Crown 2013 completely unwatchable for me. Thankfully, now that the season is over, I'll never have to sit through that show again; worst championship show ever. It's a shame that Crown wasn't the show missing from the 2013 BluRay, rather than BD as I would have bought it then.

I understand no one cares what I think, but any show containning narration is a show that I will hate with a passion. I have never seen narration help a show in any way whatsoever; it's only a question of how much it destroys it and the scale begins somewhere around 'completely' and only gets worse from there... I wonder if I'm being a little too subtle about my absolute disdain for narration here?

• Like 3

I sure as hell hope not... The horrible insipid narration made Crown 2013 completely unwatchable for me. Thankfully, now that the season is over, I'll never have to sit through that show again; worst championship show ever. It's a shame that Crown wasn't the show missing from the 2013 BluRay, rather than BD as I would have bought it then.

I understand no one cares what I think, but any show containning narration is a show that I will hate with a passion. I have never seen narration help a show in any way whatsoever; it's only a question of how much it destroys it and the scale begins somewhere around 'completely' and only gets worse from there... I wonder if I'm being a little too subtle about my absolute disdain for narration here?

Why don't you tell us how you really feel. :tounge2:

Narration is expected. It's highly prevalent in every other marching medium and it's an expected element of a DCI show line up. Not that every corps has it, obviously, but that it's not jarring or strange anymore. It's expected that some groups will use narration and it's an anachronism to pretend that drum corps defaults to 0 narration.

That being said, narration it's tough to make narration a moment of its own.

Even with Crown '13, the show stands alone without narration because the moments were made in the hornline. The end of their horse race stands alone without the added voice though it's one of the best examples I can think of when it comes to tasteful, effective use of voice. Cadets '05 with the drumspeak, though not narration, is another one of those neat moments that relied on voice to great effect.

Perhaps your insistance that it will be bad is the preconceived notion that prevents you from enjoying it whem it is done well, ala Crown last year, IMO.

• Like 1

audiences have been accepting things for decades. I remember back in the 70s an audience had to accept the Bridgemen and that style emerging onto the scene, the change in styles and themes emerging, color guards who danced and started to use other things other than the traditional forms or equipment, the list can go on.

Actually, no - those are quite different for a number of reasons.

- Audiences did not have to accept the Bridgemen style. Hardly anyone else has ever picked up on it.

- Audiences did not have the Bridgemen style available for ten years and counting.

- Dance and themes were both present in drum corps 50 years ago, just not to anywhere near the extent to which they are used today.

You cannot paint all changes with the same brush. Some were gradual, others more abrupt. Some were unique to a few corps, others became so standard as to be a prerequisite. Some had audience approval all along, others did not. And some were greeted by judges and audience in the same manner, while others have seen more divergence between the judging community and the fan base.

• Like 1

Perhaps your insistance that it will be bad is the preconceived notion that prevents you from enjoying it whem it is done well, ala Crown last year, IMO.

On the other hand, for all the shows where people don't think the narration was necessarily bad, do you believe that you would miss the narration had it been removed?

Edited by Eleran

On the other hand, for all the shows where people don't think the narration was necessarily bad, do you believe that you would miss the narration had it been removed?

I speak just for me and not all those other people and, for me, I thought the narration in the show actually added to my enjoyment (Except for the whiny girlfriend which wasn't that bad if you've been there and lived that guy's life).

And I'm about as old a dino as there is around these parts (except for MikeD. Nobody's older than him around here. :tounge2: )

• Like 2