Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

68 members have voted

1. 1. Is Drum Corps International doing a "good job?"

• Yes
    • No

When I am told that I have to pick one of those two choices, but I see many things in DCI I find to be positive while I also see many other things in DCI I find to be negative, well that creates a conundrum in which I cannot answer the question nor can I engage in discussion!

You have to pick one of the two choices because that was the way the thread was made.

This isn't the dollar menu at McDonalds.

If you want more choices or don't feel your views are represented by the two choices, you are not required to vote or comment.

Edited by tesmusic

Let's discuss whether our view of DCI is positive or negative? And yes, you have to pick one! :colgate:

My views of DCI are both positive and negative.

The DCI office is doing a good job, particularly in consideration of how their job has been redefined by the board of directors to whom they must answer. Events are run efficiently and responsibly. They do the delicate dance of rolling out the red carpet for donors and sponsors while running on a penny pinching budget. While others have bickered over how to divide the pie, the DCI office has made the financial pie bigger with new revenue generators like Fan Network and the theatercasts, and now seek to grow the participation pie with SoundSport and Drumline Battle.

The DCI board of directors, however, have not done a good job. They are the people who should have been responsible for long term strategy and goals, the absolute least of which ought to have been survival of the drum corps activity. I see nothing in the 40 year history of DCI to prove that they ever set the bar even that high. It is as if the BOD has given up on promoting drum corps, or even defining what it is; as if the unwritten plan is to be nothing more than an appendage of the scholastic competitive marching band activity, and therefore the idea of outright conversion to full fledged marching bands themselves is an option that must be on the table.

• Like 1

Let's discuss whether our view of DCI is positive or negative? And yes, you have to pick one! :colgate:

I would say "Good" with the caveat of "could continue to improve."

When you ask how DCI does, do you mean the organization governing body, or do you mean the WC corps that make up DCI? I think you mean the governing body, and in that case they have done a pretty outstanding job the last several years:

* came up with a solution to a minor coup/fracture amongst their corps: they did this in a way that seemed to truly compromise all, and kept groups happy enough to maintain status quo

* live streamed Finals last year for the first time, thus likely increasing revenue and delivering the Finals product live to fans who couldn't have seen it otherwise

* started Sound Sport and the Drumline Battle

I would say all-in-all DCI has done a good job

Well duh! :doh:

It should be that simple Stu, unfortunately some struggle and have to complain about something like a poll, since the trombone thing has died down.

• Like 2

You have to pick one of the two choices because that was the way the thread was made.

This isn't the dollar menu at McDonalds.

If you want more choices or don't feel your views are represented by the two choices, you are not required to vote or comment.

ie: SHUT UP! :shutup:

By "good job" are you referring to the management of DCI? If so, would that mean that the management (direction of DCI) is fully capitalizing on it's resources and opportunities? Or, would a "good job" be defined that DCI is good at carrying out the basic functions of the organization?

Unless I had more info, I'd say that my answer to the former would be no, the latter would be a perceived "yes".

Importantly, the DCI office needs to capitalize on available and potential resources and take advantage of opportunities through effective leadership and vision. All this in edition to fufilling the tasks and duties of the office. Overall, I'd say there's improvement needed. As such, I don't think I could vote "yes" at this time.