Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

I long for the days when show designers actually designed shows that fans like. Is this the year that BD actually caters to the fans instead of their usual self serving music major gobbleygook?

Edited by FlamMan

I long for the days when show designers actually designed shows that fans like. Is this the year that BD actually caters to the fans instead of their usual self serving music major gobbleygook?

it's to bad you can't recognize what designers are doing and appreciate it. There were shows BITD that people didn't care for , just like today. So just pick what you like and go get a souvie or a hot dog for the others. There was variety then as well as today.

There are also fans who do like what many corps are doing today. Your own alumni chose a way to please many of the older fans as well as today's and did a pretty good job.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 4

it's to bad you can't recognize what designers are doing and appreciate it. There were shows BITD that people didn't care for , just like today. So just pick what you like and go get a souvie or a hot dog for the others. There was variety then as well as today.

There are also fans who do like what many corps are doing today. Your own alumni chose a way to please many of the older fans as well as today's and did a pretty good job.

If that were true the activity would be growing. Many people apparently have never read the "Emperors New Clothes" and gleaned any wisdom from it. You know, you CAN appreciate (and understand at a level you don't) what someone is doing and not like it. Just saying.....

• Like 1

If that were true the activity would be growing. Many people apparently have never read the "Emperors New Clothes" and gleaned any wisdom from it. You know, you CAN appreciate (and understand at a level you don't) what someone is doing and not like it. Just saying.....

The problem with the activity not growing is a set of circumstances ( many beyond anyones control ) but many don't want to admit what the actual issues were over the years. Bottom line is there is enough out there in shows to appreciate something , just like bitd, not everyone was the same and people didn't like every corps. IF in fact there isn't anything to like in the activity then that person maybe just needs to move on and find something that does interest them. Just sayin!

Shows will come and go, some years people will love it sometimes not. The poster I addressed has issues with his old corps,( comments from another thread ) which happens to probably be the most traditional corps the activity may ever see again. To expect more from them ( Madison ) would be asking for sure suicide .

By the way you can also not really understand or care whats being done and also love it. I know many in the activity that feel that way. Like Crown last year. Many loved them and could care less the deep meaning of anything.

AS far as the activity growing or not has been beatin to death with alot of debate and no real answers. Maybe you have some additional insight if you want to address the growing activity or lack of growth. I know i would love to hear your thoughts BUT this is a thread on BD and why people feel they are so innovative , which if that is the case and it seems many do feel that way then it kind of says alot . AS you say, maybe it can be innovative yet still not be liked but as I said before they do not seem to have issues getting members so someone must like them as well as at their worst they don't do so bad now do they. Being on a long part part of tour each year , I would challenge those who feel NO ONE likes them and only receive polite comments or applause . Of course as the stories get told the exaggerations get bigger and bigger as they go on. Iv'e seen that 1st hand of the corps hated as well as loved.

Edited by GUARDLING

Side note: Rota actually first used that theme in another movie, years earlier, which is why the score was deemed ineligible for an Oscar.

Yep! Oddly enough, GODFATHER II won the Best Original Score Oscar, even though the score featured the same 'Love Theme:' Rota even shared the Oscar with Carmine Coppola (father of director Francis)

There is nothing new under the sun. It's just rearranged.

According to corpsreps none of this stuff from Nino Rota has been performed by anyone before, thus making it new to drum corps. Also the Gordon Goodwin chart was, I believed, commissioned by BD, thus making it 100% new to the world

• Like 1

The problem with the activity not growing is a set of circumstances ( many beyond anyones control ) but many don't want to admit what the actual issues were over the years. Bottom line is there is enough out there in shows to appreciate something , just like bitd, not everyone was the same and people didn't like every corps. IF in fact there isn't anything to like in the activity then that person maybe just needs to move on and find something that does interest them. Just sayin!

Shows will come and go, some years people will love it sometimes not. The poster I addressed has issues with his old corps,( comments from another thread ) which happens to probably be the most traditional corps the activity may ever see again. To expect more from them ( Madison ) would be asking for sure suicide .

By the way you can also not really understand or care whats being done and also love it. I know many in the activity that feel that way. Like Crown last year. Many loved them and could care less the deep meaning of anything.

AS far as the activity growing or not has been beatin to death with alot of debate and no real answers. Maybe you have some additional insight if you want to address the growing activity or lack of growth. I know i would love to hear your thoughts BUT this is a thread on BD and why people feel they are so innovative , which if that is the case and it seems many do feel that way then it kind of says alot . AS you say, maybe it can be innovative yet still not be liked but as I said before they do not seem to have issues getting members so someone must like them as well as at their worst they don't do so bad now do they. Being on a long part part of tour each year , I would challenge those who feel NO ONE likes them and only receive polite comments or applause . Of course as the stories get told the exaggerations get bigger and bigger as they go on. Iv'e seen that 1st hand of the corps hated as well as loved.

Perhaps, and I'm going out on a limb here, is to keep your base and grow from that. This constant turning away of people is not good for business. Both by DCI and the new drum corps snob elite. BD has this drum corps thing down. They know what it takes to win both politically and finance wise. At the end of the only a few people matter to whether BD wins or loses and that opinion is neither yours nor mine. Also going out on a limb here is why certain corps do better year to year depending on the so-called education of the judges by the instructors running these corps. Besides, you want innovative look no further than Suncoast Sound IMHO. Pretty ballsy writing and performing all original music.

• Like 1

Perhaps, and I'm going out on a limb here, is to keep your base and grow from that. This constant turning away of people is not good for business. Both by DCI and the new drum corps snob elite. BD has this drum corps thing down. They know what it takes to win both politically and finance wise. At the end of the only a few people matter to whether BD wins or loses and that opinion is neither yours nor mine. Also going out on a limb here is why certain corps do better year to year depending on the so-called education of the judges by the instructors running these corps. Besides, you want innovative look no further than Suncoast Sound IMHO. Pretty ballsy writing and performing all original music.

were talking innovative today not 20 years ago. There were also many many people bitd who didn't like Suncoast, the sound, the look, the theme's etc etc. AS far as turning away people,I am assuming you think then show designs of either BD or many are doing this. If I do not have that right I'm sorry. IF , that is what you believe then we just have to agree to disagree, although for some that could have some truth to it.

For starters, I think Blue Devils are changing the traditional layout of "opener-drum feature-ballad-closer". They've replaced it with the idea of using the entire allotted time to convey what they want to convey. If their concept required an 8-minute drum break to close out with a ballad, I have very little doubt they'd do it.

Is this "innovative", per se? Maybe, maybe not. But it is different. And it is unique. And it completely sets them apart, regardless of whether you like their show or not.

My problem with them is that it's sometimes very hard to fully appreciate the amount of the depth they've added to the show. They're the primary reason I want designer commentary back on the blu-rays.

i have to agree with this. You see different or unique is too often lumped in with innovative. and really, they've broken new real new ground for 6 years now.

innovative has become that "tag" to use for something unlike what most are doing, but really, 95% of what they are doing, others corps do it too. It's just that BD does it enough to show you they can, and do it well at that, then move onto something else, while others just keep heaping the same thing over and over again.

The flaw in how it shows up in scoring is, despite what the new sheets say, the judges too often automatically credit difficulty so the number is higher than performance. Usually, by Allentown, BD is out performing their book and could use more beef, even minor touches, but the numbers reflect otherwise. It's like the judging community is afraid to say " sure you can do it..give us more" with their numbers.