2014 uniforms

The way the drill was in Cabaret Voltaire, those "butt capes" looked really really good. They didn't seem to fit in too well last year. I'll have to see how the drill is this year to see if they fit in well. I really do like the red accent these add regardless

Phantom's rumored uniform change is now confirmed

BqOY7O2CMAAuOFp.jpg

Quite the contrast between the two looks. IMO if the transition is done well, it could be really effective.

This is a photoshop joke, right???

Edited by FlamMan

. The speakers should be in the bells of the horns. :-)

Or positioned in back of micrphones.

I have to say, I am actually in a sense offended by Phantom's uniform this season. Even with Crown's resent venture towards purple pants, at the end of the day, you can still call it a uniform. Phantom has made the decision to literally take their uniforms off only to reveal a costume underneath.

I usually consider myself a pretty progressive DCI fan, choosing to take the "get over it" approach to changes good and bad. With that being said, we are clearly on the road away from uniforms and towards costumes. This is an issue that delves deeper than personal tastes. This is an issue that will ultimately erase identities of corps that have been around for decades.

This activity thrives on its rich history. You don't hear kids say "I joined the Cadets for their lack of history." Many kids join certain corps because of their history alone. Unfortunately, if this trend continues, in a decade or so you will have no idea who is taking the field unless you have a program in your hands. That would be nothing less than a tragedy.

With the recent overhaul in so many uniforms this season, I ask myself, "What was wrong with the way you looked before?" What was so wrong with Crown being cream, or Blue Stars having cross straps? Why the sudden need to erase the identities that have been in the making for longer than I have been alive? I have never heard anyone say they are bored with the way the Cadets look, or be mad because a corps chose to keep its original colors. Is this nothing more than directors trying to leave their own mark on their corps no matter the cost?

I am well aware that I am being dramatic and pessimistic. Heck, most corps have managed to maintain their identities even through uniform changes. But I am telling you that change is the only consistent, but most of the time you see reluctance towards change. For some reason directors seem to be running towards change these days.

Let's meet up in 10 years and see who you can still recognize.

• Like 1

I usually do not weigh in on this stuff because I truly believe it is a corps choice and noone else what they wear or how they want to alter it as time goes by.

As for a few comments by the last poster. I teach MANY MANY kids, thousands over the years and I dont think EVER have I come across a kid who joined a corps because of the history. Now of course there can be some in any case BUT for the most part they join a corps because of what they see on the field or a personal taste. Maybe thats what you meant. The History comes later AFTER they join, they learn and move forward and become part of the History JMO.

Now PR uniform/ costume: AS I said I really dont like these discussions , mainly because it usually doesnt come down to a discussion about if a person likes something aesthetically but many times attacks the intent of a change, the core of a directors or designers loyalty to a given corps traditions or the debate on the integrity of a person or persons reasons for the given change. ( Not about the actual change itself ). NOW with that said , I will comment on the PR new uniform / costume. I may be sorry for doing it...lol....so bear with me:

Personally and I repeat Personally, when I saw the 1st uniform , although pretty, I thought the guard costume/ uniform was very dated, looked very 1980s PR or SCV VERY. I thought the corps uniform was ok with all the fringy things ( maybe a little much but it was ok and still very PR.

Now the new uniform or uniform change: :thumbup: YES two thumbs up and I will give a few reasons just in my opinion:

Many are not talking about same ole same ole with PR as many do every year

With the theme it works so well from the transformation of the swan to the Black swan ( very fitting)

PR finally in 2014 ( as many will see it I believe ) especially many young people )

controversial ( always good for talk and many times associated with something new and progressive ) if it is or isn't

I think it is very much a PR look in a very contemporary way. Not a word readily associated with PR

I think this was a brilliant move on the part of the PR design team, especially in a year that many have been reporting that maybe it wont be their best year for a number of reasons. THIS . I believe will be a surprise corps of the year or at least has the potential of this. NOW when I see this in person will I feel the same? Maybe maybe not, but like Crowns nay sayers last year , MANY MANY sang a different tune at the end of the year toward what they wore.

Remember, many have said about BD's uniforms/ costumes, Crowns , uniforms / costumes and others , it was done for a reason and it's already doing exactly what was intended, well, I think PR design team knew EXACTLY what they were doing and what would be said and how ultimately it would benefit them.WE will see I suppose............JMO

• Like 4

It's not a speaker it's a camera lens.

I never noticed the eagle really, even though I have a shako in my living room.

I like the PR uniform. It's so raw and evil looking.

I really like Cavaliers uniform a lot. I like Boston but it's just a bit too much black for my taste.

• Like 1

It's not a speaker it's a camera lens.

I never noticed the eagle really, even though I have a shako in my living room.

I know the Blue Knights used to have eagles on the shakos. (That knowledge being gleaned primarily from putting the things on my head several times.) They switched to a triangular thingy later, but I don't know which year. Now they have a disk.

I did a quick Google search (meaning not a very thorough one) and found a few pages by people who have apparently made a study of the badges and plates on old -- say, 18th century or so -- military shakos and how those badges were used for identification or to represent certain things. I'm guessing it would probably be a mistake to invite those hobbyists to the conversation. They might be horrified at what's happening. :-)