Drum Corps in Florida

Found this on facebook by

Benny Pisani

Heat Wave of Florida is a music and marching educational organization based in Inverness, Florida. This is a new, start up organization, which will be open to anyone 12 yrs. old and up. Our goal is to provide a wholesome family organization, which will help the youth of Florida develop the life skills which will prepare them for adulthood, while having fun learning music and the marching arts including color guard skills. We intend to ultimately have 2 groups: a starter group for those without any experience, and an advanced group, which will participate in nationally sanctioned functions. ALL are welcome regardless of experience, race, sex. as long as the individual is willing to learn, he or she will be welcome. If yu have an interest, please contact us on our page here. More information will follow

This is real. We're working very hard to get an Open Class Corps going down here. We have all the legalities in place, have been working to raise funds, recruiting, have more than a handful (or two) of volunteers standing by ready to go. Our BOD, Admin team and a solid (if not well known) instructional staff is in place. We are holding our open house/meet & greet on Dec 6th in Inverness, Fl. and welcome anyone interested to attend. Leo, we've modeled this in the image of the old competing coprs and kidette corps. Will this work? time will tell. If it fails, I will take all the responsibility, if it is a success, it will be because of a team who really put in a heck of alot of work.

Benny Pisani

Director

Heat Wave Of florida

director@heatwaveofflorida.org

www.heatwaveofflorida.com

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I appreciate all the effort to try and grow DC here in Florida.

BUT.. once again we are the forgotten waste land for shows this summer. Guess I will be making my DC pilgrimage to Atlanta in July.

The number of FL corps may have diminished, but the number of mm from FL may have gone up overall. Possibly the unreliable Summer weather, lack of interested groups to put on a show, past attendance figures, etc. plays into DCI 's decisions.

The number of FL corps may have diminished, but the number of mm from FL may have gone up overall. Possibly the unreliable Summer weather, lack of interested groups to put on a show, past attendance figures, etc. plays into DCI 's decisions.

Ghost,

I don't discount your conclusion which you wisely set as possible rather than definitive. Other than anecdotal evidence, how would we know unless DCI made public a state by state, year by year demography?

The Florida drum corps who have hit the national scene definitely have made their contributions to the activity and audience enjoyment: Miami Vanguard, Florida Wave, Suncoast Sound, Teal Sound, and Tampa Bay Thunder come to mind.

Don't forget the Boston "Florida" Crusaders, whose camps are in Orlando.

And as far as shows, it ain't just the heat or the humidity, it's the miles. Unless the show is in northern Florida, it's extra hours down AND back just for the single show.

Don't forget the Boston "Florida" Crusaders, whose camps are in Orlando.

And as far as shows, it ain't just the heat or the humidity, it's the miles. Unless the show is in northern Florida, it's extra hours down AND back just for the single show.

re; point #2, extremely true. The effect of such tropical climate upon the performer at the show and in rehearsal is as serious as the elevation at Denver's DATR. Most corps give extra time for the Denver trip so that the body adjusts to the thinner air. The Florida trip from Georgia or Alabama already exhausts that schedule. This Northerner prefers Drums Across the Arctic and avoids Florida at all costs due to biology and weather.

re: point #1: this has been rehashed on several threads previously, particularly any thread involving Waldo's corps. You will now be sent the bill for BP medicine for Ghost, emc2, etc.

To be fair, although Boston has switched from Tampa area to Orlando, they are not the only corps in Florida this winter. The Cadets for example held a December audition in Florida; their vlog, (Rocky's Point on Holiday) even has veteran members referring to "Team Florida."

Edited by xandandl

I think it would be neat to see an indoor stand-still show (with some small ensembles and the large groups) take place in Orlando. Perhaps a venue big enough to allow for the sound to breathe and for the fans to take in the powerful music with guard performing behind. Then have those same corps march Disney Epcot and Magic Kingdom the next day before exiting the state.

This could be a fun 2 days for the corps, it would provide some exposure and good entertainment, and if they do this early-to-mid summer it's a lot easier to find schools for practice and sleeping. Florida schools begin so early in August that it becomes difficult to find housing after July 30.

Just a thought!

Florida in the summer is awful and I feel sorry for any corps that has to practice and perform there after June. I marched in 1983 with Freelancers and let me tell you that DCI in Miami was a big sweaty mess IMHO. I am only talking about dealing with the heat, humidity and bugs! Now, Florida in December sounds heavenly.