What if someone...

What if......some hardcore DCI fan won the lottery for a few hundred million, and gave each World Class corps a donation, say 5 or 10 million$?

What would certain corps do with the money? What kind of ramifications would it have on the activity?

Please refrain from saying anything relatively extra-negative on any specific corps, unless it fits in VERY well with a STRONG argument that you can back up with evidence. Other than that, let your mind take you on a journey to the possibilities of what could happen.

Id rather have the creation of new corps rather than making the rich richer. (and yes I know the corps arent exactly rich but giving money to existing corps would only maintain the status quo)

Edited by Cappybara

It would be awesome if that lead to dedicated pre-tour facilities

I would give each drum corps $1 Million, & an additional $25K for every in show standing ovation they get throughout the season.

• Like 4

First pay off their debts. Second, set up endowments. A non-profit performing arts organization ought to have an endowment of two to three times the size of its annual operating budget, to provide regular income it can count on.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 4

Well, even a couple hundred million dollars (after taxes) is maybe 100 million dollars, and you're not giving every world class drum corps 5 to 10 million of what's left unless you wish to be in the red and to tell your family and relatives that nothing is for them and their kids. No college, nothing.

If I won some obscene amount of money I would:

1. Pay my taxes
  2. invest highly with 75% of what is left after taxes (money to be used later)
  3. of the 25% in day-to-day accounts I'd take care of family business first (and other local organizations)
  4. Infuse some money into instrument/equipment deals for Open Class Corps (leasing deals for a fraction of the price for which I would cover the bulk of the leasing costs over a 5 year period until the endowment for this grew that DCI Open Class could manage it). I'd give some to DCI for continued improvements of the Fan Network and other infrastructure improvements.
  5. If someone wrote me with a good plan to get a NEW drum corps off the ground I'd consider investing in that. I wouldn't give current World Class corps any money (with the exception of my hometown corps) because I believe they need to learn to be solvent in their own communities and with their membership and alumni. If they can't do that then any money you give is just a crutch, and they will want more. They will rely on you and will not be self-sufficient.
Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 6

I wouldn't give current World Class corps any money (with the exception of my hometown corps) because I believe they need to learn to be solvent in their own communities and with their membership and alumni. If they can't do that then any money you give is just a crutch, and they will want more. They will rely on you and will not be self-sufficient.

You have sent this portion to Washington DC I pray?

Edited by Ghost

Interesting idea. Well, I THINK I would offer the DCI 13-whatever 1 million each with this caveat:

They form a new drum corps circuit that would go back to 1999 rules.

Offer ever corps that DID change (once) free starting set of G bugles and whatever drums they wanted.

Offer corps good money to do parades and shows in the same city and day to promote the activity.

Let them also compete in DCI if they so choose but the new circuit would take precedence.

Any key brass would be allowed BUT anyone playing G horns would be assumed to be playing a harder instrument and given credit for it.

Purely acoustic activity.

Oh, and a biggie 5 million in MARKETING.

Meh, never happen so...just an idea.

• Like 1

I'd give a million to every corps that burned their synthesizers.

• Like 1