TOC - Warrensburg MO

Ironically, balance is the one thing that is NOT judged on the brass sheet. It's the main reason I absolutely detest the fact that brass is judged from the field.

That is why I still believe that each performance caption...brass, percussion, and visual/guard should have a field and ensemble caption!

• Like 1

So, I'll be the one to say that I was shocked with SCV moving up last night. Of course, it was just on the TV, but I thought they had load of visual dirt. And I thought the horns had plenty of problems too. I didn't even consider that Coats would be in trouble. Rather, I thought Cavies would go over SCV. Am I the only one?

I pictured SCV below Coats and above Cavaliers by a half point. I also thought they were pretty rough and flat. The snares and pit were very impressive but like you thought the horns were rough. It felt like about an 83/84 score type performance. It also seemed very short.

Edited to add: I guess my biggest shock was SCV that close to Crown.

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 1

Seriously? I have to read every day about how "drum corps was better when it was rotary valves, marching timpanis, star bursts and z-pulls." Literally every day I have to read how something was better 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Now I get called immature because I finally call old windbags old?!

Do you think all old people are windbags who think that way?

• Like 2

Seriously? I have to read every day about how "drum corps was better when it was rotary valves, marching timpanis, star bursts and z-pulls." Literally every day I have to read how something was better 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Now I get called immature because I finally call old windbags old?!

Trolls are hungry tonight....someone have a Snickers for this one?

• Like 2

no snickers. More like a lollipop.

wallpaper-6-800x600.jpg

• Like 1

Trying to say this in the most respectful manner...correct me if I'm wrong but I assume when you say "you guys", you mean you aren't old enough to have been at a live show in the 80's. If that's the case, how can you say we are like a broken record? You weren't there, we were. You can listen to as many recordings in every way possible, it still isn't the same as live, period. We, us old guys, were there and alot of us played back then, so in my head, we can compare the two. Some say "back then" was better, some do not. Personally I think we were louder then, but today's horns sound smoother, more in tune to a point.

Aside from my opinion, if you weren't there, I feel you can't make that comment to compare the two....and when I say compare, I am implying everything your whole sentence says...which is giving the "old guys" a hard time about that's where we always go with conversations like these.

Again, you've proven the point. You are all like old men who never want to give up their high school football glory. I think it's you all who can't make a fair comparison because you can't get the 30 year old cob webs out of your mind. I swear you guys are like the Amish of drum corps. At least I have the ability to look back at the years I marched and era I grew up and realize it pales in comparison to today's activity.

There is no way on God's green Earth that a horn line from 1986 matches with a modern corps therefore comparing the horn lines is easy. Obviously a modern book is harder and better performed therefore it's no competition. I'd put anyone in the top 12 against 1986 Suncoast as better.

Again, you've proven the point. You are all like old men who never want to give up their high school football glory. I think it's you all who can't make a fair comparison because you can't get the 30 year old cob webs out of your mind. I swear you guys are like the Amish of drum corps. At least I have the ability to look back at the years I marched and era I grew up and realize it pales in comparison to today's activity.

There is no way on God's green Earth that a horn line from 1986 matches with a modern corps therefore comparing the horn lines is easy. Obviously a modern book is harder and better performed therefore it's no competition. I'd put anyone in the top 12 against 1986 Suncoast as better.

Karma called. Said it can't wait to see you in a few years.

• Like 1

we have all those today but timpanis on the field

Doesn't Crown have a tymp on one of the circles out on the field? :P

Edited by KVG_DC
  • Like 2