TOC - Warrensburg MO

I've been fortunate enough to have heard many of them live. The best I ever heard was Cleveland. And I think they deserve to win this year because they're playing music I like, and they have better GE.

Chicago's principal trumpet marched DCI.....Chris Martin.

Tangent thought to the "brass only plays for X minutes" topic: How come folks get all jacked up about brass playing time, yet no one says a word when the drumline parks on the back sideline for the ballad?

As quietcity says, there definitely have been complaints about that here. I don't mind passages where either the drums or the brass don't play (I wish that there were more passages when the pit didn't play!), but just in the past week I grumbled that while the brass tends to have some of their most difficult marching in the percussion breaks, the battery often does little marching by comparison in the ballads.

• Like 1

As quietcity says, there definitely have been complaints about that here. I don't mind passages where either the drums or the brass don't play (I wish that there were more passages when the pit didn't play!), but just in the past week I grumbled that while the brass tends to have some of their most difficult marching in the percussion breaks, the battery often does little marching by comparison in the ballads.

This x 10. I hate the over-reliance on the pit to fill in melody. SCV is as guilty as any this year.

And I predict that very soon, a corps will have it's battery remove their drums and do interpretive dance during the horn line's ballad. The battery members will be provided free therapy after every show, of course.

• Like 2

It would make very little sense for the battery to be doing their most difficult drill during a slow melodic moment. It makes perfect sense for there to be some visual velocity during a high energy percussion moment.

• Like 2

This x 10. I hate the over-reliance on the pit to fill in melody. SCV is as guilty as any this year.

And I predict that very soon, a corps will have it's battery remove their drums and do interpretive dance during the horn line's ballad. The battery members will be provided free therapy after every show, of course.

You're right. The front ensembles should never have any contribution to the melodic content of the show. The only valid melodic color is brass. What are these designers thinking putting variety of timbre in the composition.

• Like 3

You're right. The front ensembles should never have any contribution to the melodic content of the show. The only valid melodic color is brass. What are these designers thinking putting variety of timbre in the composition.

Reductio ad absurdum. What quietcity said was "over-reliance."

• Like 4

I've been fortunate enough to have heard many of them live. The best I ever heard was Cleveland. And I think they deserve to win this year because they're playing music I like, and they have better GE.

Many classical music lovers around the world agree. I've lived in europe and around the u.s. and heard the great orchestras, and the refinement of the ensemble sound of the Cleveland is non pareil.

I love Berlin and Vienna for other reasons.

But Cleveland won't win GE because they have too many staid park n' blows. They'll fade and the splashier LA phil will win because they have a hipper and more theatrical drum major.

Such an extreme and intentional mis-interpretation of my comment. You astonish me.

You're right. Brass shouldnt eve be allowed to exist in the solar system. All brass instruments should be confiscated and melted.

In regards to the pit issue...when is someone going to experiment with getting rid of the amps and placing the keyboards on the back sideline. That could help a lot of balance issues!