West Chester Work-it-Out

They've improved immensely but they still sound thin to me. I stand by what I said :smile:

Its really more a scoring and texture issue. While the line is likely still pretty young, the Cavaliers have never arranged their music books for power. This goes back to Saucedo where it was much more texture based and less about dynamic contrast. While this show has much better music than past years, I cant argue that Id love some good old fashioned power chords, voiced where they could sound like Crown and everyone else in the top 5. Its just a very different and transparent sound, versus the power and roar that most of the corps still play with these days.

No one actually knows what GE is. It simply is not quantifiable, which is why two people can measure it on the same sheet and come away with vastly different numbers.

agreed. plus one is supposed to be looking at it from a visual background. one from a musical even though they both are supposed to also assess big picture and audience perspective as well

agreed. plus one is supposed to be looking at it from a visual background. one from a musical even though they both are supposed to also assess big picture and audience perspective as well

It's just vague enough to work!

Grass field am I right?

For corps that really book, grass fields are deadly.

Its really more a scoring and texture issue. While the line is likely still pretty young, the Cavaliers have never arranged their music books for power. This goes back to Saucedo where it was much more texture based and less about dynamic contrast. While this show has much better music than past years, I cant argue that Id love some good old fashioned power chords, voiced where they could sound like Crown and everyone else in the top 5. Its just a very different and transparent sound, versus the power and roar that most of the corps still play with these days.

I find that approach much less effective but that's just my personal opinion of course. I think the brass judge made himself pretty clear tonight.

No one actually knows what GE is. It simply is not quantifiable, which is why two people can measure it on the same sheet and come away with vastly different numbers.

True. What's funny is watching the Cesarioites trying to come up with language that makes it sound like "I liked it, I could dance to it" is some sort of a science.

Edited by Slingerland

Crown's drums are going to keep them from moving ahead of SCV or Coats I think. It looks like they'll finish 6th there again.

I'm surprised and then not surprised and then disappointed. At first I was sure it was the design of the book. However seeing a 3 point spread between comp and performing makes me think its something else as well...

Music Analysis is more than just the hornline. That low achievement score is factoring in Crown's Achilles Heel: Percussion.

Not that Cavies don't sound great.

No doubt that the strength of Cavies drumline is really helping them. Im just happy seeing that young hornline making even more strides at the end of the season. We need another great hornline in the top 6!

I also wish Crown's drumline was stronger and the gap looks even worse when the brass is so darn good!

I'm surprised and then not surprised and then disappointed. At first I was sure it was the design of the book. However seeing a 3 point spread between comp and performing makes me think its something else as well...

It's a strong year for drums this year. I feel like Crown would've scored a bit higher last year if they had the drum book and line that they have this year.

• Like 1