No more chopped arrangements - please!

So let me get this straight........95% of all corps (open and world class) perform fairly traditional music and drill, with nuance and originality of course...but largely traditional....(minimal or no chopped charts, no scatter drill, etc)............ AND we want that other 5% to frickin' get in line! :blink: What a completely boring and unimaginative concept. I want DC designers (music and visual) to explore as much as they have imagination to do. If it doesn't work, it will give them a measure to adjust from and make better.....all for our benefit. I say Chop Away!

Stop it! You're making sense on DCP! DCP is for incessant whining about judges doing their jobs!

• Like 1

And not Phantom? I thought their arrangements of the Tchaikovsky music was pretty good..and I believe it's all from one source...Swan Lake....right?

Yeah no. 6 or so different ones.

I agree 100%.

I miss this show structure:

Opener

Drum Solo

Concert

Production

Closer

Reprise

Please just play the song close to the way that it was written

Love me some Reprise.

• Like 2

I agree 100%.

I miss this show structure:

Off the Line

Drum Solo

Concert

Production

Closer

Reprise

Please just play the song close to the way that it was written

Fixed. And you forgot to mention that you wanted the starting and ending guns.

But in all seriousness I think it's been a pretty good year for extended melodies. Special props to SCV, Cavies and Devils, plus a number of the lower echelon corps.

Edited by Super Don-O
  • Like 2

Y'all must hate hearing bands or symphonies play medleys, then. I can understand where you're coming from if a corps so thoroughly arranges a piece that it's almost unrecognizable, but then again, unless you also find it to be unlistenable, I hope most people understand that today's drum corps will, for the part, play drum corps-ized versions of pieces. It's an 11-minute music, marching, and visual performance, not Beethoven's 5th.

Y'all must hate hearing bands or symphonies play medleys, then. I can understand where you're coming from if a corps so thoroughly arranges a piece that it's almost unrecognizable, but then again, unless you also find it to be unlistenable, I hope most people understand that today's drum corps will, for the part, play drum corps-ized versions of pieces. It's an 11-minute music, marching, and visual performance, not Beethoven's 5th.

I hear what you're saying, and I don't think many folks would disagree that the source music needs to be reformatted for our activity. I think what most of us who don't like the chop-n-bop style dislike is when the music is disrespected by being reduced to 8 measure segments and cut-and-pasted together as mere support to a visual program.

There's room for many styles in today's corps and if that's what you as a fan or performer like that's fine, but I prefer to hear a corps really celebrate the music by presenting longer segments that give it a chance to develop and retain some of the original intent. That's when you get to hear the emotion, the nuance, the art of it.

• Like 2

I hear what you're saying, and I don't think many folks would disagree that the source music needs to be reformatted for our activity. I think what most of us who don't like the chop-n-bop style dislike is when the music is disrespected by being reduced to 8 measure segments and cut-and-pasted together as mere support to a visual program.

There's room for many styles in today's corps and if that's what you as a fan or performer like that's fine, but I prefer to hear a corps really celebrate the music by presenting longer segments that give it a chance to develop and retain some of the original intent. That's when you get to hear the emotion, the nuance, the art of it.

I respect your opinion (though I do disagree). However I'm not exactly sure how the music is "disrespected" if only a segment of it is used. I think that's the wrong word/sentiment towards the chop'n'bop style.

From Super Don-O:

But in all seriousness I think it's been a pretty good year for extended melodies. Special props to SCV, Cavies and Devils, plus a number of the lower echelon corps.

I agree 100% !!!
Joe
Edited by JoeDz

Snippets do work some cases and do not work in other cases. I recall last year wanting more "Sound of Silence" from Crossmen, but when Blue Knights did Stravinsky's music in 2012's Avian, we heard a snippet of the Jetson's theme song. Would we really have wanted the whole thing? Maybe, but I think you know what I mean.