Staff merrigoround

i love how me being supportive of a guy has turned into attacking me.

Classic DCP

No more classic than somebody with 6 posts to their name claiming they were "attacked" because people on DCP were less than sympathetic to what they were saying. You can sympathize with the guy all you want but most people on here are going to laugh at any story about a tech who cried because politics made his corps score too low.

To paraphrase a quote from a movie about the Rockford Peaches (who played on glorious Beyer field), "There's no crying in drum corps."

• Like 3

No more classic than somebody with 6 posts to their name claiming they were "attacked" because people on DCP were less than sympathetic to what they were saying. You can sympathize with the guy all you want but most people on here are going to laugh at any story about a tech who cried because politics made his corps score too low.

To paraphrase a quote from a movie about the Rockford Peaches (who played on glorious Beyer field), "There's no crying in drum corps."

I've been avoiding this one, but it's hard to stay out of. These are my feelings, tested through years of teaching and observing.

I don't think you ever do anyone justice when you declare yourself (or anyone else in the activity) "screwed".

Lots of reasons, but the two most important (to me) are: these groups are judged by insanely competent individuals. They've done it forever, and at the highest levels. They're not infallible, but no one asks them to be. Additionally, I have yet to hear the staff (creators, techs, support staff) of any corps that won complain about judging issues. You simply can't have it both ways.

Two - and this is the important one to me. You get kids (in DCI) to dedicate - no, wait - DEDICATE themselves each year, plus invest their and their parents' hard earned money (very few people in DCI were born wealthy, but you can argue that) on a belief in one corps, one team, one "family". They give literally countless hours, and believe in what they're told, believe in their shows - if they didn't they would migrate - that part is unlike the old days - but once they've made that commitment they're in, body and soul.

As a tech, you tell them that if they do what you ask of them, they will achieve all that they're capable of. That's all you can promise, and that's if you're that good.

When you tell them they got screwed when it's all done, how many of those kids are coming back for more? How many families will be willing to foot the bill? And remember - it's YOUR opinion. It's based on what you think.

Have I cried during drum corps season? You bet. But not there talking to the kids. In my opinion, a great deal more kids are let down by their staffs than by the judging community.

Make them the best they can be. Make sure they achieve it. If you cry, head out into a field or take a walk somewhere. Do you let the kids see emotion? Yeah, but be careful of what seeds you sew with that. Kids that think they got screwed don't always react well.

OK, that's my 2 pennies.

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 6

I've been avoiding this one, but it's hard to stay out of. These are my feelings, tested through years of teaching and observing.

I don't think you ever do anyone justice when you declare yourself (or anyone else in the activity) "screwed".

I've been trying to avoid this one as well...I will say when I was much younger and naive...I believed politics played a role in drum corps...as I've gotten older and reflected back...I have realized that I could not have been more WRONG...I was truly caught up in the emotion of things...sure there are anomalies in the scoring...but in the end of the day I think the corps are placed fairly accurately across the board no matter their reputation...although I do still believe that sometimes early season scoring sometimes takes a bit of time to correct itself from prior year performance...or sometimes certain corps receive the benefit of the doubt...

• Like 2

I've been trying to avoid this one as well...I will say when I was much younger and naive...I believed politics played a role in drum corps...as I've gotten older and reflected back...I have realized that I could not have been more WRONG...I was truly caught up in the emotion of things...sure there are anomalies in the scoring...but in the end of the day I think the corps are placed fairly accurately across the board no matter their reputation...although I do still believe that sometimes early season scoring sometimes takes a bit of time to correct itself from prior year performance...or sometimes certain corps receive the benefit of the doubt...

Watch Olympic Ice Skating sometime.

There is simply no perfect way to judge a combination of athletics and art.

The "athletes" (and our kids are athletes) go out there and put their art out and stand tall waiting for the results.

Who are we to cry when their efforts are not rewarded.

They're all Olympians - the highest level this activity aspires to.

What I'm saying is that I agree with what you just said better.

I've been trying to avoid this one as well...I will say when I was much younger and naive...I believed politics played a role in drum corps...as I've gotten older and reflected back...I have realized that I could not have been more WRONG...

Just be glad L you didn't compete in the VFW Nationals when Tony S. ruled supreme.

Any man who can reference George Carlin is a friend of mine for life. :colgate:

I've been gettung a LOT of opportunites to use that particular quote on here as I grow tired of people :poke: with the waffles comment...

I mean, "I don’t have pet peeves — I have major psychotic ####### hatreds!" -George Carlin

The waffles thing is getting to be one of those...

• Like 1

There is politics in Drum Corps.. for the simple reason that life is politics and politics is life.

The lesson to learn is, whenever possible, be on the right side of the politics that is played, not on the losing side when it is played.

And there is no crying when you find yourself on the losing side from time to time. Suck it up. learn from it, and learn the Art of the politics itself so the next time you can make others weep instead of getting teary eyed yourself from the experience you felt a victim of.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

Yes, because a higher post count means a more valid point of view! High five, bro!