George Hopkins response to the critics

I think it stopped the first year I marched (1999). I'm not sure why it stopped though.

They may have stopped it the years you marched, but I am thinking they brought it back again at least once or twice after that. I am thinking it was between 2002-2006 at least once or twice they did the posing, and had a guard member doing random spins and tosses. For some reason I am thinking they did it during the Tull show(04?) and at least one other year during that time span.

As for the whole way Cadets leave during retreat, I think it is kind of funny in a sad way that this is even an issue. Cadets have been doing this for years. While I feel kind of bad for the members not being able to mingle and take pics with their friends from other corps on the field, I understand the reasoning, and respect that. The field at that time has been given to the winning corps, and Cadets respect that and leave in order to give them the field as quickly as possible, whether or not the other corps do. As an older fan of the activity, I do no worry about how long retreat and encore lasts. I love watching the kids on the field saying goodbye to people they may possibly never see again. And seeing young members mingle and give congrats to other corps is fantastic. It is a very emotional time, and I love the fact these young people are given that opportunity. However, Cadets have chosen not to do this, regardless of placement(unless they have won) and we should respect this decision. It was a nice explanation from GH and rereshing to see a director express disappointment in the results. I know a lot of people don't care for GH personally, but at least you get his honest opinions on where he stands. I may not agree with a lot of his ideas or direction he would like to see DCI go, but at least you know where he stands on any issue. Which is more than you can say for some other directors.

• Like 1

DHposter15418481.jpg

That this thread is still going....

Thank you Mr. Hopkins, for your explanation and I can respect your tradition. I can see the merit in it and yet, there is a missed opportunity to learn a life long skill.

Leaving early looked bad - it made the Cadets look like sore losers when they actually medaled! But worse, it deprived the corps of the the skill of shedding their disappointments and rejoicing in their accomplishments. The Cadets were incredibly clean AND THEY MEDALLED!

Learning to be respectful despite your personal feelings is a life skill. Every kid in the corps shares a common experience and each one knows how it feels to be the darling one day and the goat the next. They share the joys and the aches and the pains. Most of them have friends in every corps.

Don't leave early next year. Teach them not to run. Instead, teach them to shed their disappointments and to rejoice.

Because when the Cadets are the top dogs, the other corps will be able to rejoice with them.

That's just the point. THEY DIDN'T LEAVE EARLY!! They merely left first. When it is announced that the field belongs to the champion, they go. This is not new. The life lesson is to respect the other guy and let them have their celebration while we go over here and celebrate (which they do). When we tied with Phantom at DCI Canada about a thousand years ago, it had to be decided who would leave first. Well, we just decided we would. It never hurts to be respectful and let someone else have the spotlight. As a former mm, I can surely attest that any attempt to characterize them leaving WHEN TOLD TO DO SO as anything but being respectful is plainly false.

I

Like I said I'm not sure why I'm posting this because I know it probably doesn't matter to most on here but I guess the George bashing just grows so old.... even when people try to compliment the guy it's always backhanded. He's done so much for so many in this activity and nobody ever cuts him some slack for thirty years he's inspired so many that came through those doors and helped so many people realize their potential. You want a fun fact there are atleast 12 people on the Bluecoats current staff that either marched Cadets or were designers/caption heads for them, so George must be doing a lot more right than most people think.

Thank you for posting this. George made an enormous impact in my life, and I'm sure he doesn't even know it. Why? Because he's made positive contributions to thousands. The ripples spread far and wide. How about 3 of the top five drill writers? How about the Crown brass arranger? People can be mad all they want because George proposes some change or another (like hiring a staff in the 80's that changed drum corps?), but here's the most important fact. When given the task of either saving the corps or folding the corps, he took the hard job. How about when they had to file chapter 11 right after winning the 2nd time? Easier to close up shop. He didn't. He saved this corps (and the Crossmen) and has consistently worked to make it more and more stable so that many other young people can have this opportunity. Thank you George Hopkins for changing my life!

• Like 3

DHposter15418481.jpg

That this thread is still going....

Wait...is this thread now about Boston's show?

• Like 1

From his FB page:

We never want to embarrass others. We never want to show disrespect.[/font]

Of course not, George. Why would anyone think that of you ? They're probably just haters that don't realize how much you " never show disrespect" to other Corps ". What would ever make them think THAT, anyway ? ( Haha!... you can't take this stuff too seriously.. you've got to learn to just smile and roll your eyes, thats all... lol!)

• Like 1

it's PERFECT that Brasso typed ^ and The Other Mike "liked"

both very reliable to say the least! Bravo on your "reliability" :tounge2:

There's something "perfect" about you George but I can't say it without being banned :poke:

• Like 3

George disrespectful to other corps? Anyone who believes that is about as far from the truth as you can get.

This was posted by George Hopkins on JULY 19 from New Katy, Texas. If you believe for even a second that George and The Cadets don't respect our competitors, even our closest competitors; read this!

"Gotta be impressed by the Bluecoats . Great work by the kids and staff in rising past judges opinions

It's a great lesson for us all .

There is no definitive winner in this game. There are simply scores based on the collective views of the judges for the evening. These judges do their best to rank and rate. They use their experience and skills to choose based on their perceptions. It's a blast of a game - and we all want to win but the journey is where the real work is done. .

As I tell the Cadets - our corps has won world championships by a tenth of a point - it can easily have gone the other way

That said, it is not wise I would offer, to allow a group of 8 or so people whom we barely know to define success. You would do that nowhere else in your life and we all need to not allow such judgement to affect our kids or ourselves in this world . Competing is a grand lesson but it needs to be held in context. Again, judges are working at the highest level to make the CALL. But is there a RIGHT call ??? When we are on top we would like to think so When we are chasing the top, we of course are looking for a different result. That's why we use different judges for different people have different perspectives than each other. AND YES, when a judges does not particularly love what you and your group bring to the field, it can be a tough pill to swallow. No right .. no wrong ... but still a tough pill to swallow. I judge in the Fall .. its a tough gig !!! No doubt !!!

Dr Bernard Baggs, the great sage of drum corps for many decades , once told me that rules congresses, judges sheets and all of that was a waste of time and money because we were judging something that could not be judged. I was a young director and I reveled in the debate and the search for the RIGHT system. Today , well , I too agree that there is no right system. Just ---- a system.

And it will change and we will grow but no matter what we do - there will always be simply the results of The Night. Never will there be the ultimate victor for as Dr Baggs explained to me - drum corps is about children and art and in that endeavor there are no losers

To close this diatribe ....

We are not for profit organizations not because we play instruments and march but because we affect the future of young people's lives . We do need fans and supporters no doubt ; such is our operational model. And yes indeed the kids love a standing ovation and we love alumni and t shirt sales and filled stadiums and passion driven fans. Heck - our collective goal is to bring you to your feet and bring tears to your eyes. Every corps is doing their very best to be as entertaining as possible. Every corps !

But at the end of the day - what matters is each young man and woman on that field . Our success is determined years from now as today's performers blossom to be tomorrow's teachers and leaders. What we do today does create a legacy for decades to follow, and that legacy is not based on placement .

It's hard to remember in a stadium of 10000 fans or in a forum or other discussion board but indeed , because of the inherent work ethic involved in our methods, we can change lives. We do change lives.

We in leadership are blessed to have the opportunity we woke to this morning and every morning . We who teach must remember we hold in our hands the hearts and souls of thousands of awesome young people.

And make no mistake , these kids are the top 5 percent of the kids in the world. Bus sleep - 10 hour rehearsals - a quest for perfection when such a result is impossible . It's amazing what they do and what we all do

Utterly amazing !!!!!

So congratulations Bluecoats. You turned your back on the opinion of the evening and you went out and created new opinions . Which is correct ? Who knows?

But why I say congratulations is for what is clearly a corps built on persistence and determination . And you have to love that - competition or no competition

Now - we all have to get back to work . We have a journey to continue and by the way don't get too good Bluecoats remember we all want those 8 people to tell the world we are the best.

To all corps. - be fabulous - enjoy the day and this weather and tonight ....

Be the best version of your corps that you possibly can be .

After all, that's all you CAN do."

• Like 3