Too soon for SCV "Phantom of the Opera" reboot?

If BAC went in this direction, would they employ Marty Feldman masks?

I would find 150 individuals looking back at me with those eyes to be rather disconcerting, to say the least...

#### your eyes!

Too late.

Poor PR in 1997. Very ambitious show, perhaps too ambitious musically, and to do "The Ring" without the music from the work that could soar in drum corps is a mistake, but there are opera houses and orchestras that avoid Wagner because doing so exposes weaknesses, so PR taking on "The Ring" does deserve some credit.

For me, SCV in 1997 was an excellent show, but it would have been something I would have expected from Madison or Cadets. SCV may have the broadest range of shows in their history and can do classical, jazz, musicals, and popular music well, but only when it is unique to them.

SCV was a really really good show until the closer...#### near becomes legendary at that point! I've never seen the quarterfinal run but if that closer was on fire I can see how they tied for first! I would have been almost in tears while standing and screaming for them! That show had just the right balance of elements! That year is second only to '93 for my favorite top 3.

could scv do Cats well?

I'm actually at a loss for what SCV could do. I would love to see a pure jazz show from beginning to end though.

• 2 weeks later...

Please wait for the 50th anniversary before doing again.

They would run a massive competitive risk if they bring back Phantom, especially on an anniversary. Anybody remember '92 when they rehashed Fiddler for their 25th? They were trying to win a '90s competition with a '70s show, and it backfired badly. Yes, Scheherazade worked, but that was done just 10 years ago.

'89 is a legendary show. Leave that memory alone and create some new ones.

Don't see ANY corps doing Phantom of the Opera. Everyone wants to run at 220 bpm and sorry to say the music would suffer from visual killing the music book. Music has to breathe a little and we aren't seeing a lot of that. All you have to do is listen to any corps playing their old music. It's like a race to the finish with zero musicality or feeling.

They would run a massive competitive risk if they bring back Phantom, especially on an anniversary. Anybody remember '92 when they rehashed Fiddler for their 25th? They were trying to win a '90s competition with a '70s show, and it backfired badly. Yes, Scheherazade worked, but that was done just 10 years ago.

'89 is a legendary show. Leave that memory alone and create some new ones.

They certainly changed their Fiddler show enough to fit into the 90's era, it just took too long to get clean; also the judging community was a bit too harsh with not accepting some of the design ideas.

A revamped Phantom could work; I just don't think many people would want it to be done now.

They certainly changed their Fiddler show enough to fit into the 90's era, it just took too long to get clean; also the judging community was a bit too harsh with not accepting some of the design ideas.

A revamped Phantom could work; I just don't think many people would want it to be done now.

Wasn't '92 Mr. Royer's last year as director of the corps? With what he helped bring to the corps and DCI, '92 was so appropriate. yeah,not what they thought when it came to placement, but it was quite a show. The Chava Ballet portion is absolutely beautiful and so well done as was the rest of the show.

There is something so appropriate about that year being his last with the corps. Fiddler on the Roof was a signature theme with them and I don't think anyone could make it as meaningful.

I remember hearing about his death and being so incredibly sad. To this day, SCV will always be affiliated with his memory.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

Wasn't '92 Mr. Royer's last year as director of the corps? With what he helped bring to the corps and DCI, '92 was so appropriate. yeah,not what they thought when it came to placement, but it was quite a show. The Chava Ballet portion is absolutely beautiful and so well done as was the rest of the show.

There is something so appropriate about that year being his last with the corps. Fiddler on the Roof was a signature theme with them and I don't think anyone could make it as meaningful.

I remember hearing about his death and being so incredibly sad. To this day, SCV will always be affiliated with his memory.

Yup, you've hit on all the points. It was his last year, and Fiddler was something special to that corps. I've read about a BUNCH of early season ideas they had that the judges just weren't going to reward, so they were in state of constant change. They never got a chance to really clean it to their standards, but I tell you I REALLY thought that show was beautiful.

• Like 1