Our future visual programs: consequences and concerns

This is huge. As a MM this past year, I definitely feel like the emphasis i always on "tough it out", and not on "heal so you can recover and be back to 100%"

You may want to keep this in mind when you consider where to audition for next year (assuming you have a year left). This is NOT the attitude everywhere.

• Like 2

I think as important of a consideration would be appropriate recovery and care for the injury sustained. If the injury is considered and accounted for, as some have written, is the same consideration given to the care and necessary recovery of that injury? The young men and women I have talked to (for the most part) ignore this aspect because they have to get back to drill and not have a hole for the next show. Put a brace on whatever hurts, swallow a handful of Ranger candy and put ice on it later. The activity, as it exists, rarely allows for the proper care and recovery of injury, as opposed to most organized athletics.

Just my observations.

This is a good point, and I'm not sure where the responsibility lies. I think it's similar to the NFL concussion discussion in the sense that a member wants to get back on the field ASAP because they either want to push themselves/perform or because they are worried about losing a spot to an alternate or something. I can understand the difficulty in a corps' staff to force an adult out of rehearsal/performances if the member is saying they're fine to march. I know I injured myself my age-out year (just shinsplints) and the health tech of the corps gave me the option to either go to the doctor who would bandage up my leg, give me pain meds, and tell me to stay off my feet for a few weeks, or have the health tech wrap-up my leg, give me pain meds, and let me continue to rehearse provided I'm not too uncomfortable. I was almost 22 at the time, decided I would not stay off my feet for the remainder of the season, and everything mostly worked out fine. If the adult member makes the decision not to sit out (as at least one person mentioned in this thread of serious injuries did from what staffers told me after-the-fact), there isn't a ton the corps can do short of forcing them to miss activity knowing that maybe it IS for the best of the member, or maybe the member IS actually OK and won't get hurt worse. We are an activity where we are aware of constantly pushing ourselves beyond what we think we're capable of doing, and then includes rehearsing through pain. I can get how it would be hard for a corps staff/admin to 'force' a member to sit for long stretches of time if the member is saying, "no I'll be OK it's not too bad."

Is that wrong? IDK: it's easy to make that judgement in hindsight after the fact, but in the heat of the moment it is often difficult. What I would do in a scholastic setting (such as HS band) might be different than how I approach an independent setting with adults whom I trust to tell me the truth and make correct decisions regarding what is best for them. It's tough. But that's why the corps Admin get paid the big bucks, right?! :augen51:

Well, at the end of the day it's only going to take one lawsuit (if there is a severe enough accident) and we'll be short one corps and have new rules.

If the trend lines continue and the Medical Community keeps producing data that links football concussions to long term brain damage and emotional concerns, we can expect that future Mothers of America to keep their kids out of the sport of football. If football is ultimately banned ( as it was for several years at many colleges in the 1890's due to injuries ) then it really won't matter what future competitive Marching Bands do with their on field props. Without football, we can kiss competitive Marching Bands on Football Fields goodbye. Its something for the younger fans here to watch in the future... as the Medical profession is doing heavily funded research on football concussions long term effects and the preliminary results coming in are shockingly revealing regarding the long term cognitive impairments. And when it comes to these decisions, it is primarily the Mothers ( not the Dads) that make the decisions on participation. And if Moms become increasingly scared with the medical data, thats becomes a bigtime problem.. especially when football participation insurance rates can be expected to go right thru the roof for future football participants of all ages when the data keeps coming in showing the long term cognitive impairments that come about with participation in the routine physical collision that the sport of football has in each game with its participants.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

re: Jeff Ream, raise your hand if you think one lawsuit can really #### up drum corps.

Lawyers and legalities were a concern when Jim Ott died in that van load of instructors on the highway, when there was a traffic accident involving the Cadets' equipment truck outside Stillwater, MN which involved a fatality, and when one of the Kilties dropped dead on the field at the Scranton DCA championships earlier this millennium. Thankfully, all these involved corps are still with us today. Let us remember in our hearts all those who passed and those involved who will never be fully healed of memory.

look, the last thing I want is to see anyone hurt. I was there in 05 and saw it live, but you can't fault the corps for that. The guy was huge, and there weren't a lot of visual risks in that show, certainly no one going up ramps, ladders, props etc.

in todays world, people are far quicker to pull out the lawsuit card than ever before.

If the trend lines continue and the Medical Community keeps producing data that links football concussions to long term brain damage and emotional concerns, we can expect that future Mothers of America to keep their kids out of the sport of football. If football is ultimately banned ( as it was for several years at many colleges in the 1890's due to injuries ) then it really won't matter what future competitive Marching Bands do with their on field props. Without football, we can kiss competitive Marching Bands on Football Fields goodbye. Its something for the younger fans here to watch in the future... as the Medical profession is doing heavily funded research on football concussions long term effects and the preliminary results coming in are shockingly revealing regarding the long term cognitive impairments. And when it comes to these decisions, it is primarily the Mothers ( not the Dads) that make the decisions on participation. And if Moms become increasingly scared with the medical data, thats becomes a bigtime problem.. especially when football participation insurance rates can be expected to go right thru the roof for future football participants of all ages when the data keeps coming in showing the long term cognitive impairments that come about with participation in the routine physical collision that the sport of football has in each game with its participants.

In reality it would mean more rehearsal time for corps and marching bands. :cool:

If the trend lines continue and the medical community keeps producing data that links football concussions to long-term brain damage and emotional concerns, we can expect that future Mothers of America to keep their kids out of the sport of football. If football is ultimately banned (as it was for several years at many colleges in the 1890s due to injuries), then it really won't matter what future competitive marching bands do with their on-field props. Without football, we can kiss competitive marching bands on football fields goodbye. It's something for the younger fans here to watch in the future as the medical profession is doing heavily-funded research on football concussions' long-term effects, and the preliminary results coming in are shockingly revealing regarding the long-term cognitive impairments. And when it comes to these decisions, it is primarily the mothers (not the dads) that make the decisions on participation. And if moms become increasingly scared with the medical data, that'll become a big-time problem, especially when football participation insurance rates can be expected to go right through the roof for future football participants of all ages, when the data keeps coming in showing the long-term cognitive impairments that come about with participation in the routine physical collision that the sport of football has in each game with its participants.

There once was a whole thread about whether concussion-concerns would lead to the death of football, and what that would mean for drum corps.

More drum corps on soccer fields? On one of the earliest DCI "Legacy" DVDs (1974 or 1975, I think), you'll hear a TV commentator explain that the difference between marching bands and drum corps is that drum corps march on fields without yard lines. Perhaps we'll return to that model!

Edited by N.E. Brigand

re Jeff Ream: "look, the last thing I want is to see anyone hurt. I was there in 05 and saw it live,"

I too was in Scranton that contest and witnessed the same. I was also at the Stillwater incident and later contest when Cadets performed using Spirit's flags, drums, and some horns.

For some who found my concern hyperbole, this may be part of why I think the issue is important today.

If the trend lines continue and the Medical Community keeps producing data that links football concussions to long term brain damage and emotional concerns, we can expect that future Mothers of America to keep their kids out of the sport of football. And when it comes to these decisions, it is primarily the Mothers ( not the Dads) that make the decisions on participation. And if Moms become increasingly scared with the medical data, thats becomes a bigtime problem.. especially when football participation insurance rates can be expected to go right thru the roof for future football participants of all ages when the data keeps coming in showing the long term cognitive impairments that come about with participation in the routine physical collision that the sport of football has in each game with its participants.

Hell, this took place in our family in the mid 80's. Twin sons were not allowed to play American football by Mrs. RN Ghost for this reason, but they sure took their bruises playing baseball, ice hockey, and soccer.

You know what would prevent a lot of strains and other injuries encountered during the season?

Bubble Wrap.

Thing is, it squeaks like crazy when rubbed together (no one could do quick marching as a result) and heaven forbid during retreat at finals corps members start popping the bubbles.

I would also assume it's quite hot to wear around the body.

As a result, someone should invent air-conditioned bubble wrap.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 1