Cadets 2015

More on that webinar on 2005, that I can remember:

• I think I had heard this before -- but they went in the "weird" direction after looking at the survey results from the 2004 members at the end of 2004. The members were ready to do what makes Cadets Cadets -- push the envelope, lead and not follow.
  • The design of the show lead the music book. They mapped out how they wanted much of the show to flow, including the drill imagery in the Liquid number (e.g., "16 counts then waterfall, 24 counts then shower head, 32 counts then umbrella, etc.), and Jay took Equus as inspiration and crafted his own music book to fit the flow of the show.
  • Obviously Sully took inspiration from Tarantino, Hitchcock, Herrmann. Sully thinks the Dancer in the Dark movement was some of the best stuff in Cadets history.
  • Reminded me of the hellish mishaps with the amps early on in the season. Wireless mics were not working well at all. They had an awful first show, and Hop said one of the judges only had Cadets up by a little because they were Cadets ("I don't know how to judge that...").
  • Putting drumspeak in the show was one of the easiest and uncontested additions to the show. Came from when Hop saw some show in a theater or something, and during intermission some guy(s) were doing drumspeak/beatboxing. He thought "man, we can do that, and a lot better".
  • They were frustrated with getting through to the audience in 2005 and very obviously 2006. Reminded me that they added more Twilight Zone material to the beginning before the doorbell.
  • For 2006, Sully got on his soapbox a bit and defends the show content and approach. He does have a point that Cadets 2005-2006 really is what modern DCI now. We can have a whole thread on that...
  • Like 1

Just add a Director's Commentary option to the DCI Finals Blue-Ray ... they could raise the prices to $250!!

If they took some of the extra camera angles and audio tracks off to save space on the discs (IF!), I don't know why they don't offer those things as bonus online streaming content. Fine, you give us 2 discs now instead of 4 or whatever, and it's HD now, cool -- but why stop giving us the extra stuff? Streaming is where it's at.

This may be a little too forward for some of you, but I've had great luck with just firing an email off to the group directors when I want more information about a Wgi show during the latter stages of the season.

This is not about being forward or not. As with anything that happens in DCI, sending an email to the corps itself is always an option. Funny though, how many reply can certainly be considered an entirely separate conversation.

In addition, subsequent comments about people who would rather complain does not apply. No one is complaining.

DCI introduced something during 2009 that was quite interesting....dare I say "fun and informative" and it contributed to a lot of conversation here that itself was "fun and informative."

The question was about why it wasn't continued.

Show details to be announced tomorrow at 8PM EST according to the Cadets FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/cadets.org/posts/10153222373906349

This may be a little too forward for some of you, but I've had great luck with just firing an email off to the group directors when I want more information about a Wgi show during the latter stages of the season.

For sure, and I've ALWAYS found corps directors very upfront, honest, and sometimes blunt to a fault whenever I've emailed them specific questions about a show or policy. I don't email them often, but when I have I've gotten great responses.

For me, the difference between, "it would be cool to hear some design commentary over BD 2014, especially being a movie nerd/lover of Fellini" vs "I'm gong to email Scott Chandler and grill him about nuances I might've missed the first time" are significant. To me, it's not really important enough to bug the director or designer, though I would listen to/buy commentary track on FN for that show in particular, and many other shows. Maybe if I trolled more designers/directors on social media I'd have better luck; Hop seems to have minimal problems replying to FB/Twitter questions about show design stuff maybe other designers are similar.

I guess I mostly look at this as a wasted opportunity for DCI/individual corps. At the very least it could give their fans appreciation for shows they don't love & a better appreciation for shows they do love. It would educate fans on what goes into a show design, why imagery or music or visual design is happening and what designers hoped to represent, etc. I get saving room on discs for HD, and I even get logistically maybe it's not doable (i.e. maybe designers just don't have the time, or want to spend the time talking about shows after spending so much time already getting them on the field). But it's a cool thing DCI used to do and I think it would be a benefit if they brought it back.

• Like 1

For those webinarring (new word I may have created) tonight, be aware of the tag line Hopkins just added to his FB comment that he may be doing it solo. Word to the wise...

Wake me up when he gets to the meat of the announcement.