Carolina Crown 2015

I am hoping that the new closer replaces "Ode" with "The Ascension." There is not much transition into "Ode" as it is, and frankly "Ode" seems to be a bit cheesy for a show with such depth (see what I did there?).

• Like 2

Please Crown...go darker with the ending. I love Ode to Joy, but it just doesn't seem to fit well. Thank you members for out performing the design staff at this point.

I would alter the first half of ODE musically to take on a more sinister sound (CADETS DOXOLOGY 2011), and the final half play it more majestically as the musical hint we've ascended from hell. Then your not rewriting a closer in mid July. Drill wise, of course ending in a Crown. How much more of a clue of ascension does one need?!!!

I can't wait to see the show live in Chester, PA! I want to hear that big Crown sound. :smile:

• Like 1

I am hoping that the new closer replaces "Ode" with "The Ascension." There is not much transition into "Ode" as it is, and frankly "Ode" seems to be a bit cheesy for a show with such depth (see what I did there?).

Don't disagree. The show needs a major change. The other option would be to change the opener to snippets of Ode to joy to give the show a better framework. They should also shorten the percussion break and add that time elsewhere. Difficult changes to make 3 weeks out but Crown has a ton of talent to work with and I believe they can do it!

Don't disagree. The show needs a major change. The other option would be to change the opener to snippets of Ode to joy to give the show a better framework. They should also shorten the percussion break and add that time elsewhere. Difficult changes to make three weeks out but Crown has a ton of talent to work with and I believe they can do it!

It's not enough that Crown already opens with other parts of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9?

It's not enough that Crown already opens with other parts of Beethoven's Symphony No. 9?

There are enough allusions to 9, that the source material can work, it is the presentation of it that doesn't work. . It's too hippity. A brooding or more bold Ode to Joy would work much more than the light fluff that is there now.

• Like 1

Just an interesting bit of information: Crown is 1 of only 3 corps (the others being Pioneer and Phantom) to not use props this year (unless you consider the banner a prop)

• Like 2

Just an interesting bit of information: Crown is 1 of only 3 corps (the others being Pioneer and Phantom) to not use props this year (unless you consider the banner a prop)

In the theatre, a prop is anything that isn't nailed down and isn't a costume (or an actor). However, in drum corps, that would make all guard equipment was a prop. I think you could say that a banner is a large piece of guard equipment.