Carolina Crown 2015

Is the section from Beethoven's Ninth Symphony that Crown plays after the Giazotto/Albinoni "Adagio" but before the melody that most people think of as "Ode to Joy" also considered to be part of the "Ode to Joy"? When people complain about the "Ode to Joy" not fitting as currently used in Crown's show, do they mean that section also?

(I've been trying to find that passage in Beethoven's ninth by listening to Youtube performances while browsing online editions of the score. It appears to come from roughly halfway through the fourth movement, after the initial singing of the "Ode to Joy"--albeit played more slowly by orchestras than Crown is going.)

I believe all the material after "Adagio" is from Beethoven 9, mvmt 4. But most people only refer to the actual choral setting of the Schiller poem ("freunde, schöner götterfunken") as the "Ode to Joy".

I can't imagine that they could drop OtJ at this point - the whole musical framework of the show is Beethoven 9 and they hint at OtJ several times earlier in the show. I do note that Beethoven's introduction of the theme is much more gradual than Crown's. In the symphony, the melody emerges in the cellos after a whole lot of chaos, and is initially pretty subdued before it pulls in the entire orchestra and eventually the chorus. Crown's arrangement jumps straight to the the triumphant choral statement of OtJ from the middle of the movement and I think that's what makes the transition seem so abrupt.

• Like 2

I don't recall seeing any props in Spirit's show either.

I don't recall SEEING any props in BK's show :tounge2:

• Like 1

Doubtful. Maybe Atlanta

It'll be in by Murfreesboro or it'll wait another week. You hardly ever see corps premiere a major change at Atlanta. Usually always in the day before at the minimum.

• Like 1

(I've been trying to find that passage in Beethoven's ninth by listening to Youtube performances while browsing online editions of the score. It appears to come from roughly halfway through the fourth movement, after the initial singing of the "Ode to Joy"--albeit played more slowly by orchestras than Crown is going.)

Yeah, the part after the ballad is the orchestral interlude leading into the big singing of Ode to Joy. So Crown is playing the full lead-in into the OtJ hit in the original symphony (although Crown is going considerably faster). I agree the closer needs some work, but as far as getting into OtJ, I'm not sure what else you do if the original music leading into it isn't working.

After out scoring Bluecoats again tonight I wonder if San Antonio was the turning point...

Yeah, the part after the ballad is the orchestral interlude leading into the big singing of Ode to Joy. So Crown is playing the full lead-in into the OtJ hit in the original symphony (although Crown is going considerably faster). I agree the closer needs some work, but as far as getting into OtJ, I'm not sure what else you do if the original music leading into it isn't working.

That section from the fourth mvt. preceding the OTJ is perhaps my favorite musical segment on the field this year. Just fabulous.