The "Music Corps Should Do" thread

OK I'm an old fart I play-teach in an Alumni Corps. Im going to PO some people but here goes. If I want to hear "Classical Music" I will go to a Symphony Concert. I strongly feel that if Corps played music people RECOGNIZED the DCI activity would be stronger. How many people leave a DCI Show humming whistling a tune they heard that night?????.

In the "old days" or what the kids call "back in the day" you could do that. Its still done at Alumni Shows The Corps play music people can relate to AND RECOGNIZE!!!!!! The modern Corps have to pick up on that. I can fully appreciate musicly what they are playing BUT I have to think afterwards WHAT THEY HELL DID THEY JUST PLAY!!! IMHO play something recognizable that the crowds can relate to. 98%of the fans are not classicly trained musicians. Afterall its the FANS who are paying the prices of the tickets

• 11 months later...

"Katachi" by Shugo Tokumaru, and visually in the spirit of this video.

Jazz

Spanish

British

For the love of God, wont someone PLEASE play something different than the usual over arranged symphonic drivel that every Corps is playing???

• Like 1

Jazz

Spanish

British

For the love of God, wont someone PLEASE play something different than the usual over arranged symphonic drivel that every Corps is playing???

So I guess you loved the shows of BD, Crown (unless Copland is now symphonic drivel, of course), Cadets, Regiment (or is Puccini now drivel too?), Scouts, 1/2 of SCV (or are Mars and Jupiter, which have been played forever in drum corps, now drivel?), and most of the rest of the shows at World Class finals last year.

• Like 1

I love the stuff corps do now. Sometimes I don't but then the next year they do different shows so it's all good.

When I hear interesting arrangements I seek out the original pieces and try to learn something new.

• Like 2

I’d love for some corps to play something really obscure and academic, perhaps something with really odd keys and difficult time signatures.Something that you had to be ‘in the know’ to appreciate but could never actually enjoy. But you’d could pretend to enjoy it to show people how refined and cultured you are It’d be cool if that composer died in a horrible fashion in a country that no longer exists and you couldn’t pronounce their name...someone like Chinua Achebe but dead

• Like 1

So I guess you loved the shows of BD, Crown (unless Copland is now symphonic drivel, of course), Cadets, Regiment (or is Puccini now drivel too?), Scouts, 1/2 of SCV (or are Mars and Jupiter, which have been played forever in drum corps, now drivel?), and most of the rest of the shows at World Class finals last year.

Hated BD...loved Crown...loved Cadets...PR was good, Scouts were good, SCV was ok.

I still want to hear Jazz, Spanish, & British.