This sounds pretty dang bad ### to me. I love the use of all this crazy, unused, new, and modern music. Their last treatment of Steve Reich in 2013 with "City Life" was absolutely masterful. Bon Iver's "Flume" in 2012 was gorgeous. The Anderson piece seems like a good fit for them. "Dense" is a lot of fun. Need to give the rest a listen, but this sounds different enough from last year to eliminate that worry from my mind. Absolutely stoked to experience this!

I think they've found their identity in terms of music.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Repertoire:

• Shaker Loops - Jon Anderson
  • Electric Counterpoint - Steve Reich
  • Woods - Bon Iver
  • Gene Takes a Drink - Michael Gordon
  • The Animated Description of Mr. Maps - The Books

And Dense.

Since I have nothing else better to do, here are the youtube videos of each selection in case anyone is too lazy to look it up (All links supplied by Bluecoats' Facebook account):

Shaker Loops - Jon Anderson

Electric Counterpoint - Steve Reich

Woods - Bon Iver

Gene Takes a Drink - Michael Gordon

The Animated Description of Mr. Maps - The Books

Dense - Univers Zero

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3

The live performance is spectacular. If anybody is looking for better sound quality, the studio version gives a good balanced sound of all the craziness going on.

The thought of Bluecoats putting The Books on the field has me doing a happy dance in my head that is threatening to become an actual physical

happy dance. I can not wait for this show.

And BD is using books on the field. Looks like a scholarly summer aplenty..

• Like 2

I feel like these selections so far are just imitations of last year's source music?

The Bon Iver resembles the Vienna Teng and Dense resembles Uffe's Woodshop.

Unfortunately so far, they don't sound as cool as their Tilt counterparts. Though I'm sure the audience would love to see Tilt 2, repeat shows aren't that fun. And maybe I'm completely wrong, so we'll just wait and see. In other words, I'm not fan girling yet.

Kinda like 2010 to 2011. I'm kinda feeling the same way. I just hope they don't try and emulate too much......Even the way they're announcing the source music is like last year. We shall see. It can work for them, but they just need to differentiate from it enough so it's distinct.

Now that the rest is out, feel the same? Better? Worse?

Electric Counterpoint is one of my favorite pieces and I just know theyll do it justice in some innovative, creative way. Hyped for this season!

• Like 3