From a sampling of the sources I could see them doing a Pure Phase Tone thing, which I’ve advocated here a few years back. Spiritualized use it on record and live as an into /in-between /outro and backing tracks…from start to finish a pulsing tone with minor arithmetic and frequency variations. It’s very effective in setting and sustaining a mood while allowing all sorts of noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8B2cN67IH4

The track "Pure Phase" was the basis for a limited edition release called "Pure Phase Tones For DJs", which consisted of 16 versions of "Pure Phase", four on each side of the single, playable at both 33 and 45rpm. The tracks were in the keys of C/F; D/G; E/A; F/B-flat; G/C; A/D; B/E; and C/F, at varying frequencies. Pierce intended that they were to be used as a set, in order to make chords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Phase

Now that the rest is out, feel the same? Better? Worse?

Much, much, much better. I think they're in the same vein as last year, but taking the music a step further and the theme seems a tad more complex. I'm very excited! Lots they could do again. Looking forward to a quirky, weird, noisy, crazy, show.

• Like 1

From a sampling of the sources I could see them doing a Pure Phase Tone thing, which I’ve advocated here a few years back. Spiritualized use it on record and live as an into /in-between /outro and backing tracks…from start to finish a pulsing tone with minor arithmetic and frequency variations. It’s very effective in setting and sustaining a mood while allowing all sorts of noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8B2cN67IH4

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pure_Phase

The idea would pair well with the repetition and and harmonic/rhythmic approach of Reich, Adams, etc. Some hallmarks of minimalism going on here. Although there seems to be chaotic elements as well. Highly anticipating this.

• Like 1

I wonder now if any props will be a part of this--listening to Shaker Loops I wonder if they will have orbs or balls --or hoops as props or equipment? after seeing all the music and explanation it doesn't feel at all like a rehash of Tilt in mood or approach

[...]after seeing all the music and explanation it doesn't feel at all like a rehash of Tilt in mood or approach

I agree. After only hearing Dense and Woods, it left me feeling like this year was just going to be them trying to do Tilt again, but now I don't think so. The music for 2014 was very high in energy and sort of in your face, whereas this music seems more laid back. Overall, the concept still seems somewhat nebulous (like last year), so it will be interesting to see how they approach it on the field.

Electric Counterpoint is one of my favorite pieces and I just know theyll do it justice in some innovative, creative way. Hyped for this season!

Ditto! I'm very excited to see them tackle it. No other corps has ever done this Reich piece, to my surprise. I've seen a few indoor groups use it, and have been a fan each time. I'm curious which movement they'll go with. I'm assuming Movement 1 as part of their intro? I actually love Movement III and could see them looping in a bit of it to their closer.

I can see how all these pieces fit together, with some exceptions. I generally enjoy all of it, but I'm just not a fan of the Univers Zero selection.

The Michael Gordon piece reminds me quite a bit of Michael Torke's Saxophone Concerto-Movement III (which is another piece I'd love to see on the field) but more minimalist.

I can see another 2014 Hymn of Axion moment with the Bon Iver song and the corps split in two. I'm assuming Mr. Maps will be a percussion feature?

Part of me wishes they would just go with the show title "Kinetic" and let it speak for itself.

Part of me wishes they would just go with the show title "Kinetic" and let it speak for itself.

I agree with this--for now--until i see the show--but that word "Noise" is hard for me to get excited about with all its non musical connotations. but again will have to wait for the show to see how well it works out

Now that the rest is out, feel the same? Better? Worse?

Unfortunately much worse.

I had hoped that just not liking the previously announced pieces could be ignored with the other works being more likable. Unfortunately I disliked each of the other announced works.

Shaker Loops reminded me of what I disliked about Crown '13.

Electric Counterpoint just seemed like stagnant music that didn't go anywhere.

Gene Takes A Drink had the exact same feeling.

and The Animated Description of Mr. Maps just had me :huh:

Now they are a drum corps and they have a design team for a reason, so hopefully they just weave the sounds of a few of these songs together and make their own melody that is cool. But if they go old school and play the tunes as is...yeah I won't be screaming bloo with the fan girls, but rather giving complimentary claps for the execution of the wonderful members.

Now that I say all of this, know that I am not losing fandom or anything, just might not be a show that I enjoy to watch.

Unfortunately much worse.

I had hoped that just not liking the previously announced pieces could be ignored with the other works being more likable. Unfortunately I disliked each of the other announced works.

Shaker Loops reminded me of what I disliked about Crown '13.

Electric Counterpoint just seemed like stagnant music that didn't go anywhere.

Gene Takes A Drink had the exact same feeling.

and The Animated Description of Mr. Maps just had me :huh:

Now they are a drum corps and they have a design team for a reason, so hopefully they just weave the sounds of a few of these songs together and make their own melody that is cool. But if they go old school and play the tunes as is...yeah I won't be screaming bloo with the fan girls, but rather giving complimentary claps for the execution of the wonderful members.

Now that I say all of this, know that I am not losing fandom or anything, just might not be a show that I enjoy to watch.

I'm hoping they will approach Counterpoint in sort of the way Reich writes his music; minimalistic yet brooding and expanding (not sure if thats grammatically correct but w/e) In other words, I think if they take that approach and apply it to the hornline it will be amazing and ###### in its own quirky way. Say the mellos/trumpets and the snares play a tasty lick, with color and movement added from the colorguard and body/drill as usual, and then add in the baris/euphs and the tenors; present a new idea with just that section, and then do the same thing but with both the high and low brass etc etc. I dunno if any of this makes sense at all, but its how im hoping it will play out just for that particular piece; think City Life back in 2013, but with more technical and moving (get it, kinetic....moving, heh.) harmonic parts.

• Like 1