That's kind of a tendency in drum corps, though - corps tend (in broad strokes) to try to recapture lightning in a bottle. I don't think Bluecoats are going to have the drop that, say, Phantom did in 2009, though.

Mike

I agree with this as well. And as for the Bluecoats--after their 2010 Metropolis 3rd place, they came back the next year with Brave New World, which for me seemed similar in feel--they tried to be a little edgier in their music choice, a lot more dissonance in the music, and for me it seemed they were trying to recapture and magnify what they had achieved in 2010--and i realize it was the same designer, so maybe that explains the similar feel of it. I and hope they don't have the drop in placement like Crown's either.

. So as with all pre season fears, i guess i hope they don't try to increase what they had with Tilt and just make it more of the same. But as always it will be fun to watch how it all plays out.

Edited by Jast45

So as with all pre season fears, i guess i hope they don't try to increase what they had with Tilt and just make it more of the same. But as always it will be fun to watch how it all plays out.

Historically, it's been hit or miss when corps do "more of the same" ( only magnified) from one year to the next in regards to placement... Worked for SCV in '89 (Phantom of the Opera). Worked for Madison Scouts in '92 ( City of Angels). Worked for The Cadets in '93 ( Holsinger), but not so much in '06 ( Zone Volume:2)...

Historically, it's been hit or miss when corps do "more of the same" ( only magnified) from one year to the next in regards to placement... Worked for SCV in '89 (Phantom of the Opera). Worked for Madison Scouts in '92 ( City of Angels). Worked for The Cadets in '93 ( Holsinger), but not so much in '06 ( Zone Volume:2)...

So you're basically saying that it hasn't worked in over 20 years.

So you're basically saying that it hasn't worked in over 20 years.

That seems to be the case for the exact parameters that I gave, however, Bluecoats aren't doing part 2.0 of 2014 like the other corps that I mentioned.

Now some could argue that the spiritual successors ( in some way) of previous shows such as '07 Winged Victory ('80,'82,'91), Phantom Regiment's '08 Spartacus ( '81, '82), '09 Blue Devils' 1930 show ( '88), '10 Blue Devils City of Glass show ( '91), '12 ('91 & '09) and '13 Blue Devils ('09) were are pretty successful shows...

At the end of the day, as I say, it's not what is played, it's how it's played. It doesn't really matter in the right hands with the right talent. I believe that Bluecoats will have a great show this year.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Bluecoats will be announcing their show at 2 PM today! (Eastern time)

They haven't announced yet? I thought there were already criticisms on some of their musical choices.

Edited by Tobias

They haven't announced yet? I thought there were already criticisms on some of their musical choices.

They announced 1 or 2 pieces already. But not the theme.

Edited by Cappybara