How come Willie wears a head set in the lot videos?

Is he communicating with Dr. Met or listening to a tape of the electronic insertions?

Dr. Beat. They're so #### loud, he finds it easier I guess. There's always a tech behind him with a met on their phone.

Here are the things that I value in show design.

-Cohesive theme.

-Visuals that support the understructure of the music.

-Patterns that set the audience's expectations.

-Dramatic action supported by drill. What's happening, and where is this going next?

-Heightening the "game" in the show-- each set pieces builds on and advances the story.

What are yours?

Nothing personal but that sounds like the design of a high school band trying to overachieve. Even BOA bands aren't as obtuse in their programming.

By the way, this is drum corps we are talking about, right?

• Like 2

Nothing personal but that sounds like the design of a high school band trying to overachieve. Even BOA bands aren't as obtuse in their programming.

By the way, this is drum corps we are talking about, right?

Actually, I think that the five characteristics he lists apply to most championship drum corps performances.

I mean, are you arguing that's corps should have a disjointed theme, or visuals that don't support the music?

Channel3 just tends to apply these ideas a bit too narrowly, that's all.

Edited by N.E. Brigand

Well I can't say that I'm surprised that Carolina Crown is doing what they're doing. I said a few weeks ago they're too good to not beat most corps at least once, that's a championship corps, with the right show they would have been unstoppable.

Just clean those feet and clean the show, all the gap is mostly performance related, I'm hoping they can still pull this off. I'm hoping there's some more little additions and changes to go into the closer to really make it sparkle, that's the only part of the show now that I'm not in total love with, I think it's *almost* there. Regardless, still my favorite show of the year. Finish out strong.

Well I can't say that I'm surprised that Carolina Crown is doing what they're doing. I said a few weeks ago they're too good to not beat most corps at least once, that's a championship corps, with the right show they would have been unstoppable.

Just clean those feet and clean the show, all the gap is mostly performance related, I'm hoping they can still pull this off. I'm hoping there's some more little additions and changes to go into the closer to really make it sparkle, that's the only part of the show now that I'm not in total love with, I think it's *almost* there. Regardless, still my favorite show of the year. Finish out strong.

Looking at their schedule, I don't see a big enough time slot to add any major changes. It seems like this ending is the ending we will probably get at finals, which is truthfully kind of disappointing. It seems the closer drill preceding the new ending STILL has feet in the sound and there is no "big finish." Last year they had a chord bend into a double Z-pull with a member launching himself off a ramp and landing as the chord releases. This year they kind of move forward a little while playing loud and then it's just done.

Here's to hoping I am wrong and Bloo slides back into a groove. Scores are going the opposite way they should be going and I really hope getting out of swamp tour will help with that.

Looking at their schedule, I don't see a big enough time slot to add any major changes. It seems like this ending is the ending we will probably get at finals, which is truthfully kind of disappointing. It seems the closer drill preceding the new ending STILL has feet in the sound and there is no "big finish." Last year they had a chord bend into a double Z-pull with a member launching himself off a ramp and landing as the chord releases. This year they kind of move forward a little while playing loud and then it's just done.

Here's to hoping I am wrong and Bloo slides back into a groove. Scores are going the opposite way they should be going and I really hope getting out of swamp tour will help with that.

I don't think that there are any major changes left, I think their ending is the framework for what we have at finals, I don't think that it's done though. It just seems..........bare. I could see some little additions and things added, at least I hope. I really think it's a few "somethings" away from really being something good. Not as good as last year though, that's one of those once in a long time in a corps history moments. We'll see, I'd bet they're not done yet. Doesn't have to be something that requires a huge rewrite, it just needs that "it" that I can't put my finger on.

I'm still holding onto the content scores from Saturday and Monday Night in GE. We'll see I guess. Like Crown, don't get me wrong. Just like this show more.........

Canton wins DCI or riot. :cool:

High Brass Caption too. Dean is making magic happen again as only a genius can.

If you havent heard 'em on YT yet....do that. Hit a show if ur w/in 500 mile driving distance, would if I was.....

100 percent chance they take "High Audience" ....as for things we can't control, I only see one way they DONT get their 1st ring.

Only one because - Crown proved the club is still open...but it's whatever .... BC's gonna shoot the lights out at DCI and that's going to be a historic moment. I'm not going to touch on design or if "it works" or "has cohesion" or whatver This is the kind of corps that may re-write, revoice, toss the drill and start from scratch for an entire production or two. The kids are at the level they can memorize new parts and learn new drill - insta-clean on the fly--- same-day delivery. These guys are probably on show version 1000 by now ....by DCI they'll be pushing two. Could Make a huge change DAY OF finals, why not? It's been done, it's doable. So I think design will be a better topic POST-Nats. If you are counting them out due to design cuz "the show is done," you don't know the heavies working behind the scenes. I promise you this show ain't done till downbeat on Game Night. Then we'll pick it apart with tweezers. amirite?

Yes I can hear the technical problems still, which is troubling, still I think they can get the feet out the sound and cure all the release & phase issues - I'm hearing far worse from corps that in the past were miles ahead of them. Worst case - you can always pull out the hose for degree-of-difficulty for drill or music - it won't come to that. They're primed to peak at finals and that's really what counts. Think of the corps that lost who indisputably peaked on Saturday Night; 87 Vanguard, 1990 Star (4th!) 92 BD, 93 Star...95 Madison....for you old-school cats 1980 Big 27, 1980 Bridgemen for that matter, feelin' me on this?

BC's won over countless new fans, from the casual, the snobby hacks like me, to the legit right up to the legendary. Well-deserved, hard-fought and won.

COPS:INDIANAPOLIS put it on Fox, I wanna see Garfield get zip tied. On behalf of all SoCal hacks I cast our vote for BC I'm all in--- agree w/ me or dont. It's the right thing to do. I might even donate a tank of diesel to this.

Huge shout out to Canton Ohio....Huge shout out directly from Los Angeles. This corps is doing right by all of us, the activity, themselves, keepin' it real ....keeping drum corps smart, tough and hip. I can only think of 3 other corps going way out their way and taking risks with audience-tailored shows -a healthy mix of class, style, fresh ideas, tradition and talent at all levels. They're doin' it old-school with the Gansta-lean....and DCP we need to get behind that. GO BlueCoats!

Edited by Tapper7
  • Like 4

Canton wins DCI or riot. :cool:

High Brass Caption too. Dean is making magic happen again as only a genius can.

If you havent heard 'em on YT yet....do that. Hit a show if ur w/in 500 mile driving distance, would if I was.....

100 percent chance they take "High Audience" ....as for things we can't control, I only see one way they DONT get their 1st ring.

Only one because - Crown proved the club is still open...but it's whatever .... BC's gonna shoot the lights out at DCI and that's going to be a historic moment. I'm not going to touch on design or if "it works" or "has cohesion" or whatver This is the kind of corps that may re-write, revoice, toss the drill and start from scratch for an entire production or two. The kids are at the level they can memorize new parts and learn new drill - insta-clean on the fly--- same-day delivery. These guys are probably on show version 1000 by now ....by DCI they'll be pushing two. Could Make a huge change DAY OF finals, why not? It's been done, it's doable. So I think design will be a better topic POST-Nats. If you are counting them out due to design cuz "the show is done," you don't know the heavies working behind the scenes. I promise you this show ain't done till downbeat on Game Night. Then we'll pick it apart with tweezers. amirite?

Yes I can hear the technical problems still, which is troubling, still I think they can get the feet out the sound and cure all the release & phase issues - I'm hearing far worse from corps that in the past were miles ahead of them. Worst case - you can always pull out the hose for degree-of-difficulty for drill or music - it won't come to that. They're primed to peak at finals and that's really what counts. Think of the corps that lost who indisputably peaked on Saturday Night; 87 Vanguard, 1990 Star (4th!) 92 BD, 93 Star...95 Madison....for you old-school cats 1980 Big 27, 1980 Bridgemen for that matter, feelin' me on this?

BC's won over countless new fans, from the casual, the snobby hacks like me, to the legit right up to the legendary. Well-deserved, hard-fought and won.

COPS:INDIANAPOLIS put it on Fox, I wanna see Garfield get zip tied. On behalf of all SoCal hacks I cast our vote for BC I'm all in--- agree w/ me or dont. It's the right thing to do. I might even donate a tank of diesel to this.

Huge shout out to Canton Ohio....Huge shout out directly from Los Angeles. This corps is doing right by all of us, the activity, themselves, keepin' it real ....keeping drum corps smart, tough and hip. I can only think of 3 other corps going way out their way and taking risks with audience-tailored shows -a healthy mix of class, style, fresh ideas, tradition and talent at all levels. They're doin' it old-school with the Gansta-lean....and DCP we need to get behind that. GO BlueCoats!

Um...can I get some of whatever he is smoking?? :wow: .. :huh2: .. :peek: .. :not me: .. :soapbox: .. :wink: