SCV 2015

And I don't think originality is necessarily required except at the highest level.

Well, to look back to Shakespeare for a moment, because he certainly wrote at the highest level: all but two of his plays were adapted from previously existing work. As for competition, the two mentioned artists I mentioned, a composer and a playwright, both won Pulitzer prizes, which means that some judges decided their work was better than somebody else's. And to return to SCV: one of their titles was won by reviving the material they'd done the previous year, so not so very long ago, DCI's judges didn't think originality was that important. Do they now? And if so, does anyone know if the change in opinion came at a specific moment or if it gradually set in?

Well, to look back to Shakespeare for a moment, because he certainly wrote at the highest level: all but two of his plays were adapted from previously existing work. As for competition, the two mentioned artists I mentioned, a composer and a playwright, both won Pulitzer prizes, which means that some judges decided their work was better than somebody else's. And to return to SCV: one of their titles was won by reviving the material they'd done the previous year, so not so very long ago, DCI's judges didn't think originality was that important. Do they now? And if so, does anyone know if the change in opinion came at a specific moment or if it gradually set in?

Again -- Shakespeare was not writing for a marching band show.

Very clear delineation between a competitive marching band environment and the other examples. The Pulitzer prize is not really a competition in the same sense as drum corps. You're reaching pretty far for that one :-)

However It certainly is true that repeats were certainly accepted -- even expected -- earlier in DCI's history. OTOH I think champions and would-be champions have always been expected to push boundaries / set new standards.

Finally (looping back around) I'll just point out that my statement was that *I* found retreads boring. Never did make this jump 'til you led us there.

Edited by corpsband

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now that they have announced their show theme, "The Spark of Invention," and some music, what do you guys think now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dbi5wMze_Y0

Vanguard (World Class) starts at 4:00:01 giving a very, very short snippet of show music plus encore piece Chava Ballet, warm-up, and Clowns (ala Shaw)

Somewhat typical Shaw style writing of big sound with long notes. What will the rest of show be like?

SCVCadets begin at 3:45:00ff.

Anyone know why Shaw did a new arrangement of "Send in the Clowns?"

Seems that most corps songs stay the same, so I am just curious.

I know that when Madison changed to the new arrangement of You'll Never Walk Alone, it was pretty much kept in tact from the Ray Baumgardt arrangement, but to accomodated the Bb horns.

Edited by tesmusic

I love how it's always the easy thing to do to move Cadets "down" even though they've been in the top 6 more than some other corps. To each his own. I personally think Cadets will not be moving down, but moving up instead. Although the Bluecoats had the show of the year last year, I think they will be the corps to move down if SCV will be moving up. Time will tell.

Historically more than MOST corps, I suspect. Hopkins knows how to assemble a design & instructional staff that flat-out achieves (sometimes, arguably OVER achieves IMO). Conceptually, and stuff we've seen in videos, this show seems built to achieve & max-out the sheets. Anytime someone wants to count-out The Cadets in the winter or spring is silly, IMO

* EDIT *

That being said, anything can happen so who knows what the future holds: perhaps SCV can shoot up to the top and pass Cadets (or anyone else) this season

Edited by perc2100

'99 at finals that was a different corps than they had been all season. As the years go by '97 is the show I'm drawn to more and more, mostly because of that closer.

I think that 3-year era was just great drum corps. I remember the first time I saw SCV in 1997 (don't remember where, unfortunately) and my jaw freaking dropped and I literally bounced up and down a bit saying "SCV is BACK!!" Then in 1998 I saw them a lot and really grew to love just about everything about that show. I hung out a bit with their drum line, and had maybe a little too much fun in Montreal (my bachelor party thrown for my by my corps mates). I never got to see them in 1999 live, as I moved from mid-west to Southern CA early summer but that's a great show as well with an insane energy Finals night.

I agree that the 97 show, especially the closer (and On the Waterfront, which as a percussion I naturally love) is a great show, and a hallmark of SCV history! I've always LOVED SCV, probably more than any corps, and it would be awesome to see them come out with a great show, march and play like the BAMF they are, and have an amazing season this year!!

• Like 1