Blue Devils 2015 - "Ink"

Well, they do repeat song selections pretty frequently, but they often arrange them differently. This year that would be Sweeny Todd ( 2008 -> 2015)

2013 was Rite of Spring ( 2007)

2012 was Bird Bella in Bb and Rhapsody in Blue (2009)

2010 was an awful lot like 1991, but that was a long break.

There are more examples of music reuse, but I don't mind the idea and they do things a bit differently each time so I'm not going to be harsh with that choice. As always, it's not the what that is being done, it's how it's done. This ink show is the perfect corollary for their design process as it has been for a while. I still have images of their big paint brushes from the 1993 Don Ellis Portrait show.

I do find BD's other design elements a little repetitive, but to be fair others could argue that about other design teams.

Repetitiveness was probably the wrong word. Yes BDs have reused ideas, idioms or elements but their shows are not redundant. That's' what I was trying to say.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm excited for this show. Great music, put with the marching and movement technique clinic that is the Blue Devils, should equal something pretty fantastic!

Repetitiveness was probably the wrong word. Yes BDs have reused ideas, idioms or elements but their shows are not redundant. That's' what I was trying to say.

Well, I totally agree with that. I feel that they treat pieces of music more as a color on a palate that represents a certain idea or mood.

Fair point. Guess Plan9 has officially converted me to being overly sensitive when it comes to the Blue Devils.

My transformation to the Dark Side is complete. I'm off to slaughter Younglings.

no, no that happens at the other place out this way

They haven't won all those titles without knowing what they are doing. Wait until you have seen them a couple of times instead of sounding like there show will be lousy six or seven weeks before their first show.

I have no doubt the Blue Devils know what they are doing. They are obviously a very well run and consistant organization. This does not mean that I have to be a fan of the choices they make. Two different things. :biggrin:

Never said their show would be 'Lousy'. I actually want to 'Love' their show (I am afterall a big drum corps fan). I like their show last year more than a lot of their previous offerings. I Just said the approach sounds like the same basic approach 'Fomula' they have explored already and that given their success, thought they should try something with more risk. They have basically been following this formula since 2008 (That's 7 going in to 8 years give or take).

Edited by Triple Forte

I have no doubt the Blue Devils know what they are doing. They are obviously a very well run and consistant organization. This does not mean that I have to be a fan of the choices they make. Two different things. :biggrin:

Never said their show would be 'Lousy'. I actually want to 'Love' their show (I am afterall a big drum corps fan). I like their show last year more than a lot of their previous offerings. I Just said the approach sounds like the same basic approach 'Fomula' they have explored already and that given their success, thought they should try something with more risk. They have basically been following this formula since 2008 (That's 7 going in to 8 years give or take).

Just curious but what formula are you referring to?

• Like 3

My first reaction was "oh heck naw, if they use a storybook imma cut someone!" (Aka PR 2013). Haha

But seriously I'm pretty excited to see what they do with this. I think "ink" evokes a certain feeling within us artistic types, symbolizing creativity and passion for art. For those of us in the drum corps world, we should certainly be able to relate to this. It has the nostalgic feel that makes us feel like kids with wonder and imagination in our eyes. I relate it to how much people loves the "tale of 2 brothers" part of the last Harry Potter movie. It was "ink" and everyone went WILD for that part.

I Just said the approach sounds like the same basic approach 'Fomula' they have explored already and that given their success, thought they should try something with more risk.

Other corps have a history where they have used the same "Formula" for years.

Just curious but what formula are you referring to?

I don't know but probably not E= MC2

I appreciate your delineation between repetitive and redundant, Pes. It's a fine line...but one can follow a repetition of stylistic quality (qualities), yet with each show having enough differences to escape a simple charge of "redundancy." If such differentiation didn't exist, then it could be said that most composers in any genre should have quit with their initial attempt. A lot of John Williams' movie music is quite similar...to the point where one could call it almost "repetitive"...yet, there are enough differences to make each final output unique. The same could even be said for any of the "masters"...Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, et. al.

Edited by HornTeacher