Fan Network Armegeddon - So Long SCV 1989

DCI absolutely needs the current marchers to stay " connected " ith the activity in the future, or else the lights go out.

Money doesn't grown on trees. The only way these Corps are still able to exist ( where most died ) is because of a committed Alumni base, many of whom have been successful after Drum Corps in their careers, sufficient enough to contribute financially. It will be imperative... a must... for current marchers who later move into their chosen careers to make enough money in theIr chosen career fields to later give back to their former Corps some good financial contributions, and to do so each and every year, and for decades to come too.

easily your best post ever

• Like 1

easily your best post ever

Well thats a pleasant and unexpected surprise to come from you. So I thank you for that compliment.

I don't think DCI actually ever promised the full repertoire of historical shows in writing. it may have been presumed by fans, but I don't believe those exact words were used.

because, if you get technical, a full repertoire would mean DCi would have put up every video of every corps ever taken, and that was never on the fan network

This is correct.

My summary of this thread - "I'm mad." "You don't have a right to be mad."

Now it's degraded into how many historical videos is "not enough". 100? 10? 1?

Each person gets to make up their own mind as to where their personal threshold is. We all know that I hope, at least at an academic level. And yet here we are, once again arguing about opinions. It's like arguing over what's your favorite color. "Yellow." "It can't be yellow." "Yes it can." "No it can't."

My summary of this thread - "I'm mad." "You don't have a right to be mad."

Now it's degraded into how many historical videos is "not enough". 100? 10? 1?

Each person gets to make up their own mind as to where their personal threshold is. We all know that I hope, at least at an academic level. And yet here we are, once again arguing about opinions. It's like arguing over what's your favorite color. "Yellow." "It can't be yellow." "Yes it can." "No it can't."

it's not opinion. The fan network never guaranteed you everything. they guaranteed you something. and there IS something there.

that's fact

• Like 3

it's not opinion. The fan network never guaranteed you everything. they guaranteed you something. and there IS something there.

that's fact

Who's on first?

Jeff Ream, on 20 May 2015 - 01:46 AM, said:

I'm curious what makes you think/say that the generation(s) after ours are not likely to stay fans for life like we are (this isn't a dig at your statement - I'm genuinely curious as to what makes you say this)

Someone's probably already said this:

There was a survey recently that showed that the average life of a current day fan/supporter is 3 years. No longer are there fans for life, or at least they are the very rare few.

The turnover in the fandom of the activity has changed dramatically how DCI markets to, and attempts to attract, the new fan base.

Legacy fans are appreciated, but not "groomed". New fans, with new kids participating, are highly desired.

• Like 2

Good points, and actor/writer Simon Pegg recently said something similar about the current pop culture geek trend that has infested genre movie fandom. He talks about how that sort of culture is dumbing down general society/culture in the sense that there is far more general discussion about STAR WARS: FORCE UNLEASHED trailer than the Nepal earthquake. It's definitely similar here, though not as nutty (if you can believe that)

What Pegg is describing is not new and has nothing to do with "geek culture". I guarantee you that the American public cared more in 1939 about Gone with the Wind than about the Chilean earthquake that killed 28,000 people (more than three times as many as died in Nepal's earthquakes this year). And as someone else wrote in response to Pegg, the same complaint was being made 1,900 years ago by Juvenal: all the Roman populace cared about, he wrote, was "bread and circuses".

• Like 1