Fan Network 2015

Ohhh....I like this game...

43e.pngfTrDKd2.png

In all honesty, I think it's important that we try and troubleshoot each other as best we can. Even though streaming video is booming, the end-user experience can vary wildly, and it's likely it will do so for several more years. Few companies get it right out of the box, and not every stream viewer is going to have a beastly machine.

how in the hell do you find that stuff?

i had a few freezes tonight on DCI. however WWE network live stream was flawless

Edited by Jeff Ream

I'm telli mom!

Nah, I go right to Dad, and he has a belt.

Sometimes children need discipline to live like adults in a civilized society.

(Edit: Sometimes even adults do, too)

Edited by garfield
  • Like 1

So, I'm out of the country enjoying a family vacation when I get a message from a friend who says there will likely be DCP fireworks on Friday (today). Since I haven't logged on to DCP for several days it took me a while to get caught up in the thread, but I must say I'm a little shocked at the level of disdain for the folks at DCI. I'm no apologist for crappy business practices, but I'd suggest the level of complaints here are premature considering all of the issues that DCI has been dealing with concerning rights and, simultaneously, trying to upgrade our level of live feed service which their own data shows is the most-demanded part of video broadcasts.

This whole video thang, which I love, is and will always be a revenue source for DCI. But let's not forget that DCI is a only a revenue machine for the corps themselves. If DCILive were a rousing success nearly ALL of the profit would be sucked out of the home office and distributed to the corps (maybe as it should be). If it's not, perhaps the blame should be placed on the BOD for allowing the business leadership to take this failed path.

In my view, this whole kerfuffle is a win/win in the long run regardless of how it plays out.

This is not another G7 event. It's at least a poorly-explained transition to a new platform or, at worst, another poorly-implemented business plan. The nice thing about business decisions is that they tend to expose their faults when poor results are experienced.

agreed. but they promised "better".....and to date, even for live stuff.......i'm not seeing better. Oh maybe better picture and sound...but...overall experience and user friendly features?

No, not better.

I realize their hands are tied. Sadly I have a life, so sitting in my lviing room every Saturday isn't an option.

I'll purchase it no doubt for what I can see, but no DVR is a huge...nay ####### HUGE...issue. That right there made me stop and pause. archives, apds etc no biggie to me. DVR...huge.

i appreciate the candor in that email....far more than you EVER get from DCI. I love that finals is part of a package, not a seperate purchase. but overall, and I know DCI has their hands tied legally...but the hyperbole in what they did announce isn't matched by what's available.

I thought DCP got rid of the Off Topic forums when the platform was changed in late 2010. On the old platform, there was a specific thread in the Member Services forum where posters requested access to the forums. I never did, but I found the guidelines quoted in an old post, and the relevant section reads as follows:

"DCP's Off-Topic forums provide, for those DCP members who specifically request access, an opportunity to discuss subjects that are outside the normal scope of the DCP forums. We believe there is value in providing the community with a place to venture into and express their thoughts on those issues, outside of the ‘normal’ constraints of the general community structure."

My emphasis added. Presumably you had been grandfathered in when those rules were put in place.

i had to ask

Just so when you get a little smooch from the mods you'll know who filed the report.

Me three. There has to be a line. Name calling is inappropriate.

tHE dci website now has an "DCI lIVE" FAQ page. The answer most on this thread are looking for is there.

Will a “DVR” feature be available on the new DCI Live! platform?
At this time, DCI Live! streaming events will be available as they are happening live and in real-time in order to more appropriately comply with copyright and licensing requirements. Real-time streaming means that the online video will only be available while the live event is taking place at its stadium of origin. A rewind feature will be available only during the live stream, but will not continue once the event ends at its stadium of origin, whether you’ve “caught up” with the show or not. Streams will become unavailable once the competition concludes.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210147154

tHE dci website now has an "DCI lIVE" FAQ page. The answer most on this thread are looking for is there.

Will a DVR feature be available on the new DCI Live! platform?

At this time, DCI Live! streaming events will be available as they are happening live and in real-time in order to more appropriately comply with copyright and licensing requirements. Real-time streaming means that the online video will only be available while the live event is taking place at its stadium of origin. A rewind feature will be available only during the live stream, but will not continue once the event ends at its stadium of origin, whether youve caught up with the show or not. Streams will become unavailable once the competition concludes.

http://www.dci.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=33500&ATCLID=210147154

I've just decided that to effectively cover an event, they need to show the score announcements, encore presentations, fans exiting, cleanup crews, and full regrowth of any turf that was impacted during the shows.

• Like 7

I wonder if, like the WGI live webcast, you start the broadcast and press pause, you can watch it the next day. This worked for WGI finals live webcast. This is different to restarting the webcast the next day. Hope someone can try this out to help us on a different time zone decide if we want to subscribe

agreed. but they promised "better".....and to date, even for live stuff.......i'm not seeing better. Oh maybe better picture and sound...but...overall experience and user friendly features?

No, not better.

I realize their hands are tied. Sadly I have a life, so sitting in my lviing room every Saturday isn't an option.

I'll purchase it no doubt for what I can see, but no DVR is a huge...nay ####### HUGE...issue. That right there made me stop and pause. archives, apds etc no biggie to me. DVR...huge.

i appreciate the candor in that email....far more than you EVER get from DCI. I love that finals is part of a package, not a seperate purchase. but overall, and I know DCI has their hands tied legally...but the hyperbole in what they did announce isn't matched by what's available.

I agree...on another note sadly I honestly think that DCI servers will not be capable of supporting this( I'm actually getting video stutter tonight on the free zone)...I know it's not web traffic at 5am and certainly not my PC either...they've been sold on a bill of goods that is untested...perhaps they should have just pulled the archives and used the current delivery system...the sad thing is they want us to beta-test the service while paying for it...I have a feeling they are not going to like the uproar it will probably cause...