Indy "opening" contest

So - I'm surprised no one has mentioned Scouts "lifting" the tenor solo and bass drum solo ideas from Cadets 2000. A little out of place in the show, and I just couldn't help smh

Hoping they'll take these moments and make them a bit more their own

• Like 3

So - I'm surprised no one has mentioned Scouts "lifting" the tenor solo and bass drum solo ideas from Cadets 2000. A little out of place in the show, and I just couldn't help smh

My guess, Madison Scouts will. The same way the Cadets took " Symphony #10 " from Boston in 2012, and here in 2015 will make " Symphony #10 " more of their own as well. They say that imitation is the greatest form of flattery, and ALL Corps on occasion borrow something that was done before by others, and then put their own personal stamp on it with their own version of it. The Madison Scouts made " Melaquena " their calling card in the 70's, 80's, 90's. Then the Cadets ( and Boston ) did their own version of the song in the 2000's. Some Corps even bring back a theme done years earlier, and make it work ( Phantom Regiment won a DCI Title in 2008 bringing back their theme " Spartacus ", for a third time for them... and SCV did " Scheherazade " as a theme twice within 10 years with success.)

• Like 1

I'm not talking about using the same tune. They literally did the same exact visual "tricks" and staging of the solos. Have you seen it?

I'm not talking about using the same tune. They literally did the same exact visual "tricks" and staging of the solos. Have you seen it?

Yes.. but so what ? Whats the big deal. Please don't kid youself that over the years that everything the Cadets have done in " visual tricks " was invented by them. No Corps, Cadets included,have not on occasion ( your words ) " lifted " something from another Corps that has gone before. The Cadets, are effectively utilizing ( for just one example ) a " mark time- march " as a visual " trick " in their 2015 show.. A " visual trick " not seen in years. Its highly effective and fans seem to be loving it.. myself included. But did the Cadets invent this mark time- march, "visual trick " move they decided to use this season in their show ? No, they didn't. They ( your words ) " lifted " it from others. But so what.. who cares ? Nobody,. Nor should they, imo

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

My first thought when I saw the tenor feature was to flash back to the Cadets 2000, so I know what you mean.

My first thought when I saw the tenor feature was to flash back to the Cadets 2000, so I know what you mean.

But thats 15 years ago. When I saw a Corps last nite put a silk over a brass soloist and then the brass ensemble,, I immediately thought of the much more recent Boston Crusaders of just 4 years ago.. But I didn't think this " visual trick " was " lifted " from the Boston Crusaders. ( Hey, on 2nd thought, maybe this " visual trick " was " lifted " from Boston's show in 2011... but again so what.. no, big deal .)

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

I noticed that too, but forgot about it; the theater I attended started late and 1/3 of the way into the Scouts show which made me a little "Mad". AMC Ontario Mills 30, I should have gone up the road 2 miles to Victoria Gardens, but I thought it was going to be the Regal, Edwards Cinema 22 in the Ontario Mills lot ( Yes there are three big theaters with a several mile radius ).

I think that Madison will hone this show a bit as the season progresses. Trombone solo was fantastic! The show feels a little disjointed to me, and it does harken back to a different era of shows, BUT their whole theme harkens back to an even earlier era of musical entertainment, so that's all good.

Yes.. but so what ? Whats the big deal. Please don't kid youself that over the years that everything the Cadets have done in " visual tricks " was invented by them. No Corps, Cadets included,have not on occasion ( your words ) " lifted " something from another Corps that has gone before. The Cadets, are effectively utilizing ( for just one example ) a " mark time- march " as a visual " trick " in their 2015 show.. A " visual trick " not seen in years. Its highly effective and fans seem to be loving it.. myself included. But did the Cadets invent this mark time- march, "visual trick " move they decided to use this season in their show ? No, they didn't. They ( your words ) " lifted " it from others. But so what.. who cares ? Nobody,. Nor should they, imo

Since the Cadets are the oldest existing Drum Corps in DCI and the mark time march has been around since the beginning of marching, I submit that your analogy is poor and that they didn't "lift" the mark time march from anyone, since they were doing it first in the first place.

But thats 15 years ago. When I saw a Corps last nite put a silk over a brass soloist and then the brass ensemble,, I immediately thought of the much more recent Boston Crusaders of just 4 years ago.. But I didn't think this " visual trick " was " lifted " from the Boston Crusaders. ( Hey, on 2nd thought, maybe this " visual trick " was " lifted " from Boston's show in 2011... but again so what.. no, big deal .)

I don't think that was his point. I think his point is that it was cool to see it again. Relax.

Since the Cadets are the oldest existing Drum Corps in DCI .... .

Hmmmm ... Racine Scouts?