Live from Wildwood

Just another 2 cents:

I am so glad to see the Cabs change. It was tried back in the early 90s ( still very spanish ) for year BUt seems maybe just not the time yet. well now it is for sure . This is for many reasons.

With that said , last year I loveddddddddddddddddd the change . I thought the top was still very spanish, hot looking, very contemporary, different and yet still screamed spanish style. This one , Im not getting it at all. I was really hoping when I was told of the change a while back it was the tops from last year with the pants now. Oh well, maybe it's the pics.

Hope the change does work.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

>>>Hope the change does work.<<<

Interesting comment ... so ... looking at this from a purely scoring pov, where on the sheets would this change in uni benefit/harm the Cabs visually? ... They went from a solid white silk blouse (front & back) to a matted red/white front w/solid black back ... forget the kick-pleats for now ... as Mike Myers on SNL used to say: "Discuss among yourselves" ...

:-)

It's long overdue. I'm sure they gave it a ton of thought, and it's not hurting the scores now is it?

Like I said, it's an opinion.

They seem to be changing their identity? Not sure. I just ask what direction they are going with the uniform in the state it is in. They do (or did) have a very recognized identity in our little corner of the activity, it's even fair to say that they have a very recognized brand in ALL of the activity.

Does the risk create a positive impression?

As I said earlier, kudos for doing something different. Was it needed? Not sure, but it seems to be something that many have interest in sharing their opinions about. I applaud the chance taken, doing something new takes *alls. Time will tell if this particular change will have a lasting positive effect.

Is it affecting the number? Will it affect the number - I'd have to say no. At least not now, maybe down the road.

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

From talking to visually oriented folks, the tailoring of the blouses compared to the more modern cuts tended to make them look less crisp, even when they were performing "clean". Also, the solid colors top to bottom can also accentuate error, the new unis look to help to diminish issues like height differences, make the smaller folks look taller, all things that add up in terms of impressions. Modern unis are much more fitted and tailored, angular to enhance shapes, they're not as 'rounded' as ones from even 20 years ago. All very deliberate in terms of their design.

Funny how when the Hurcs went from their readily recognizable "Cop Hats" to shakos how this didn't raise any ruckus. In fact, the change in that case was welcome visually, the corps looks taller, straighter, and it does definitely enhance their appearance on field.

I'm trying to think how to explain this issue better. All I can think of is the Cabs' analog in F1 racing, Ferrari. BITD, they resisted technology/innovation in the late 50's, being the last to go to disc brakes and move the engine to the rear, and their resistance cost them a lot in terms of competitiveness. Since then, they have sunken their teeth into innovation when possible, and they still retain their tradition and mystique nonetheless- and they're still relevant and competitive as a result. The Cabs obviously desire to remain relevant, and to do so, they've consciously and deliberately done this to take their shot at Championships, not just "do their best" and end up hamstrung by certain issues because of refusal to upgrade. We've recently seen where that has taken some teams recently- just sayin'.

• Like 1

>>>Hope the change does work.<<<

Interesting comment ... so ... looking at this from a purely scoring pov, where on the sheets would this change in uni benefit/harm the Cabs visually? ... They went from a solid white silk blouse (front & back) to a matted red/white front w/solid black back ... forget the kick-pleats for now ... as Mike Myers on SNL used to say: "Discuss among yourselves" ...

:-)

It doesnt have to be on sheets to work not not work. For many years there was a debate of whether the boldness of all that white satin didnt stick out like a sore thumb and we all know the dirt in marching watching fabric go ever which way at the bottom. Then there is the cut of of the body with the bold white, so dark bottom and flat hat so to speak.

Iconic uniform? Oh God yes . Do some uniforms in todays world of drum corps work or not work? for sure , Does an actual judges sheet have to say this . Well if one looks closely IMO it screams it sometimes . This I know for sure has been a concern now for many decades within the Cabs.

AS I said earlier last years top change was a home run in my opinion.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I'm not opposed to change, but some things are right from the get go.....few things are right from the get go so if you get it right roll with it. 70, 100, etc etc.

I considered marching Cabs 14 years ago. I decided I didnt want to deal with the mud flaps.

it's funny I know so many people who #####ed for YEARS that Cabs needed to change the music and uniforms and stop being #### #### #### same ole #### #### ####......and now they did and those same people are complaining like a nuclear bomb dropped.

• Like 2

This is all cool to me. By the time we at Skyliners come out to our first competition in July, nobody will even care that our uniforms changed. :cool:

• Like 2