Clifton 7/5

I was at the show...I'm not a brass judge by no means....but I had cadets 1st in brass as well...in my mind anyway...of course I wasn't on the field either...

Well I was close to the field and I had them all tied lol...

I have never heard of this judge. Is he one of the many new ones? If so, how is a new judge assigned to a show like this where possibly the top three lines are head to head?

He taught me at Phantom, in some amazing brass years, including our 1989 Jim Ott Award year. He also taught visual. We were amazed that he was with us every block for a couple of years. He was also a very successful Texas band director and college band director. I think his background and intelligence are more than efficient enough to judge DCI accurately and fairly.

• Like 3

He taught me at Phantom, in some amazing brass years, including our 1989 Jim Ott Award year. He also taught visual. We were amazed that he was with us every block for a couple of years. He was also a very successful Texas band director and college band director. I think his background and intelligence are more than efficient enough to judge DCI accurately and fairly.

You marched in 1989? I just want to say you guys sounded amazing and you should've won.

• Like 1

This gets me to think that there should be a database somewhere that lists ALL judges and their bio's...Of course just because they may have a great pedigree doesn't make them a great judge....but I think it can be very helpful and useful information none the less...

I think they should start new judges at some of the smaller shows.

Minneapolis.

San Antonio maybe.

• Like 1

Well I was close to the field and I had them all tied lol...

Tons of great brass moments from the top 3, though i think the loudest (and crispest if that's a word) of the night was Crown in their opener, when they're in the "crown" drill formation when they're playing the quarter/rest/quarter/rest pattern and inching closer to the stands during each rest.

horrible numbers management

horrible numbers management

Are you refering to the tenth-thenth-tenth thing? Look at how often that happens, including that same night by other judges. I don't see the problem, especially if the groups are truly perfoming at the same level with the same level book. If that is the case the judge then has to look at the value of one tenth of a point and use that to avoid ties. You find that difference that you think does exist at that show and then write down what you feel you can honestly justfy. I think it really exciting that this early in the season we have judges having to use the value of a tenth to separate groups. It is saying that the next nigt, and in this particular case, any one of those three brass lines could beat the other. That makes drum corps more fun to follow and hopefully the entertainment value go up. It has to be tough. I would not want to have to make those close decisions.