Where have the dynamics gone?

I am finding this a very interesting read.

That the environment of LOS (size, echo, largely tiered seating) determines dynamics seems logical. Instrumentation within the hornline has also shifted while at LOS (e.g., more tubas.)

and low end synth

Just thinking of Cadets, I hear good use of dynamics in each of the past three seasons.

• Like 2

DCI shows now are designed to look and sound good for the judges in three places: San Antonio, Atlanta, and Indy. Dynamic contrast is lost in indoor stadia, especially when there's electronic amplification in the mix.

The show winning music at San Antonio this year, cadets, has great use of dynamics. As did last year's winner blue Devils.

Bluecoats had a great mezzo piano section in the opener of their show last year, just before the trumpet screamers.

Bluecoats had a great mezzo piano section in the opener of their show last year, just before the trumpet screamers.

Bluecoats' dynamic contrast both last year and this year are pretty good. 2014 especially. 2015 was a little rough in the beginning as everything sounded loud, but they've really improved in that department as the season has gone on.

It seems like the activity has gone away from that...

The "Activity" has gone away from A LOT of things.

So many things have "Gone through the Worm Hole" and disappeared into another Universe, never to be seen again. Good things that all of us "Old School" guys love about Drum Corps. Not going to mention all those things because they are discussed here ad nauseum.

Was in attendance at the Lafayette (La) Show on Monday Night and felt I was at an outdoor Broadway Musical. Very little on that field was entertaining TO ME. NOTHING at all got me on my feet and really got my adrenaline going. Not even with the Big Boy Corps that were there. Music selection is STILL god awful atrocious. (Louisiana Stars did show promise for the future, as they did look and sound very good for a second year Corps.

Although the "Plays" are more technically demanding today, they aren't in the same Dimension as far as entertainment value is concerned. I was bored to tears. So much so that I cancelled my trip to Hattiesburg MS for that show tonight. It's not Drum Corps any longer. It's WGI influenced "Marching Band on Steroids" and "Artsy Farsy Marching Musical Broadway Theater/Opera/Ballet." NOT something that even remotely holds my attention and interest.

Hey, I had an awesome Hamburger Po-Boy at Deano's in Lafayette, so the night wasn't a complete waste.......................

I will say that there is a trend I've noticed this year (particularly with Crossmen and Troopers), where the entire pit is now going completely tacit at times (sometimes for a long time) during the corps' ballad, allowing just the brass to have a real, extended moment. it's absolutely glorious, and I hope it's a trend that catches on not only across DCI, but in DCA and marching band as well.

Doing this would go a long way towards hitting the contrast bullet on the sheets.

• Like 2

I will say that there is a trend I've noticed this year (particularly with Crossmen and Troopers), where the entire pit is now going completely tacit at times (sometimes for a long time) during the corps' ballad, allowing just the brass to have a real, extended moment. it's absolutely glorious, and I hope it's a trend that catches on not only across DCI, but in DCA and marching band as well.

Doing this would go a long way towards hitting the contrast bullet on the sheets.

Bluecoats didn't get the memo :(