Attendance SHAZZAM!

I know for myself that this week I am attending my first show in 28 years. Last show I attended was '87 finals. So maybe there are more people like me getting back into the activity.

Personally I found the activity got stale and sometimes seasons would go by without me paying attention. And when I came back to it as a hobby I really follow about 3 or so years ago, I HATED amplification and HATED most of voice. I still love me some '81 27th Lancers or 70s Scouts. But the quality of the shows these days is incredible, and by that I mean the whole package. In many ways it really is more entertaining.

• Like 2

Probably. That still seems quite low, though. I wonder if that can be attributed to the younger generation getting most of their news from corps social media pages and /r/drumcorps?

It also could be a function of statistics or the particular month measured. In July 2014, the percentage of 13-17's was 20%.

I attended my first show ever on Sunday.

AWESOME!!!!!!

OK I work with computer security but.... little scary that gender and age range can be pulled from a visit to a website......

And almost half the visitors are 45-54.... not quite DCIs target audience.... :tounge2:

That number is perhaps skewed by ....... parents ?

Something else to consider. As the economy has improved over the past few years people have more disposable income. Anyone who has went on vacation this year can tell you people are traveling more. We go to the same beach every summer and the crowds are way up from 4-5 years ago.

I suspect this is the big engine underneath all of the other important factors that have been brought up in this thread. But whatever the reason, hooray for drum corps!

I think that social media has played an important role in the increase of attendance at shows, but advertising and getting school groups to attend are also important factors. Most of the shows I attend are in the Boson area. At one point I was concerned that attendance at shows was so low, we'd loose the few shows we have, the only consolation being that many of our shows were early season and around the 4th of July, both of which I saw as an advantage. In 2011 when CYO Nationals Tribute was revived, attendance was excellent, better than many of the shows the previous year, and attendance seemed to increase at other shows as well. I think using the name CYO, advertising it on billboards as well as via Facebook, did reach a different audience. In the past two or three years or so, I have noticed younger crowds at the shows. The attendance at Big, Loud, and Live has also gotten younger in the past few years.

Regarding Atlanta, I attended last year for the first and probably only time. I could not go to Allentown or Indy, and I was going to be in the South on vacation, so I made a side trip to Atlanta for the show. The crowd was so young and enthusiastic. People arrived to see all the corps and stayed for the entire show. As I headed back home I also attended NightBEAT, again a show that had a far younger crowd. It was an audience that by and large knew drum corps and were involved in all that happened. While this is just a guestimate, I would guess that about 50% of the kids who attended NightBeat travelled via school bus. Perhaps social media helped with attendance, but I would think that school programs probably had a bigger influence.

12,500 in San Antonio, the most since 2005 they announced at the show. And it did seem like every one of them was on the souvie concourse... at the same time.

It was the first time I've been to a regional since '05 (every time I go, the Cadets win - they need to pay for my seats next year!), and the exciting shows (especially after having seen the theater broadcast in June) plus no Fan Network options got me and the family to take a road trip.

Mike

• Like 2

That number is perhaps skewed by ....... parents ?

Or alumni. I would hazard a guess that the decade with the largest number of LIVING alumni is probably the 80's.