Staff changes 2016

I'm thinking SCV may make major changes to their brass staff. The top 4 is just too strong. They need to compete on every level.

m

I'm surprised with the Phantom music team there that they haven't made a pitch to put JD's brass team back together. That group won a championship and came very close to winning several Ott trophies in the process. There are some incredible teachers still in DCI from that group and would be a logical fit to help get SCV back into the upper echelon of the brass programs. Top 4 is just too good right now.

Edited by trumpetcam

Suppose it's a crazy week in Indy and BD finishes 4th. How many staff changes do you think they'll make as a result? That's right, zero.

Corps should focus on building long-term successful programs, with a consistent staff that provides an excellent education to the members.

It's easy to get upset because your favorite corps has a low-placing caption, but constantly shuffling staff is probably not going to produce an outcome that you'll like. Sometimes corps do need to make a change, but it takes years to bring a program to the top and every time you change staff, you reset that clock.

• Like 4

I think Phantom should beef up their CG and percussion staff (not necessarily sack anyone) as well as start becoming more open during the design process kind of like the Cadets. I think that would have an overall positive impact on their show design, without having to call for anyone's head.

It's not a matter of having anyone's head, it's a simple fact that the current director is not very creative. Given the last nine years, it has become painfully obvious that Phantom needs a PC who doesn't look backward and try to reinvent old shows, but rather look forward and bring PR's style into the 21st century.

Edited by war eagle
  • Like 6

Suppose it's a crazy week in Indy and BD finishes 4th. How many staff changes do you think they'll make as a result? That's right, zero.

As evidenced in the lack of major staff changes during the "dark years" when they WERE placing 4th and 5th (87-93 except for 3rd in 88). The only major change I remember was after 1990...and Tom Float chose to leave -- he was not released (a personal issue, as I remember, but one I won't go over here).

from 1994 to present, they have only finished out of the top 3 one time (2005).

Prior to 1987, you have to go back to 1974 to find a placing less than 3rd.

42 trips to DCI. Top 25th the first time out. 41 subsequent finals appearances. Not placing lower than 5th wince 1974. Average placement figuring in the 24th place from 1973, 2.86. Ave placement in finals (so remove the 24th place) 2.34.

THAT is consistency...and it starts in the staff.

• Like 2

42 trips to DCI. Top 25th the first time out. 41 subsequent finals appearances. Not placing lower than 5th wince 1974. Average placement figuring in the 24th place from 1973, 2.86. Ave placement in finals (so remove the 24th place) 2.34.

THAT is consistency...and it starts in the staff.

I'd even argue that it starts with the corps' administration. Three directors in the history of the corps. All three create an environment that is an absolutely joy to march, teach, and create in. That's what no other corps has been able to match. It's one thing to get a great staff, but it's an entirely different matter to retain them for long periods of time.

• Like 4

I'd even argue that it starts with the corps' administration. Three directors in the history of the corps. All three create an environment that is an absolutely joy to march, teach, and create in. That's what no other corps has been able to match. It's one thing to get a great staff, but it's an entirely different matter to retain them for long periods of time.

True....one thing Jerry Seawright did from the get-go was to hire the right people for the job, and let them DO their jobs!

I won't speculate on who may go. But I will say this as a Cleveland sports fan - we've seen our fair share of staff changes in this town. To quote one of the past head coaches of the Browns, Romeo Crennel: "When you win, people are happy. When you lose, people aren't happy."

Time to bring this topic back to the top.

So who is going where?

GH hinted all Cadet's staff are back (let's hope with some guard staff additions/changes)

What/who else?

Rumor last night that Cavies' program coordinator will not return next year. I also heard the same of their "brass staff," but I don't know if that meant arranger (perhaps not surprising) or teaching staff (which would be very surprising).

• Like 1